COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks for checking guys. I also found this thread where Wilson and Baer had the issue and they fixed it and assured it wouldn't happen anymore. So I guess at the least they should fix it, right? Common and known cosmetic problem. Btw the thumb hitting the slide stop theory is out. My thumb doesn't reach.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255534

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I shoot my guns not just collect them. They all have had minor peening at the slide stop (3 stainless steel slides, 1 carbon steel). The carbon steel slide has the least amount of peening, almost nonexistent. They all have several thousand rounds thru them. I just knocked down the high spots after initial break in and go back to shooting them. Only way to ensure that a pistol remains pristine is to not shoot it at all and that would be a waste IMHO.

When it comes to these types of "issues" , the individual ends up deciding what is excessive and what's acceptable.

Good luck in reaching your happy place with your Valor. It's a sweet pistol.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 AM
COTEP Member

[QUOTE=aqualungs;99709]Thanks for checking guys. I also found this thread where Wilson and Baer had the issue and they fixed it and assured it wouldn't happen anymore. So I guess at the least they should fix it, right? Common and known cosmetic problem. Btw the thumb hitting the slide stop theory is out. My thumb doesn't reach.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255534

Very interesting....sounds like the industry found a way to produce parts that bit them in the arse and some lived up to their name.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
COTEP Member

Yes although I do like them to stay pretty, I buy them to shoot them, also with a little collecting in mind! I have one safe queen lately and it’s a 22 pistol that I used to practice with a lot. My Vbob has 700 rounds through it in the 6 months I’ve been able to shoot it, so I try to keep it busy. It already has earned scratches and wear from holstering and carrying, so I don’t get in a twist about that. It’s not going to stay perfect.. that’s why I took a picture when I first got it! Regardless of the cosmetic peening I love this pistol, and am not going to change my mind on what a great shooter it is. It’s my most expensive and still my favorite go to gun. It will still be on my night stand at night, and it will still be carried whenever I can conceal it.
It seems like it’s hit or miss with the peening from the links I posted, and it happens even to the cream of the crop. I put the pistol back together without the barrel and spring and worked the parts together. Looks like the slide stop may have made the clearance it needs, and hopefully won’t go any further.. Going to the range tomorrow and will hammer some rounds through it. I marked the spots with permanent marker. I’ll fire a few mags through and take it apart and see if it’s still hitting. I’m open to any other suggestions, otherwise.

Meanwhile I will wait for Keith’s second opinionand if he tells me it’s purely cosmetic, I’m not going to lose sleep about it. If it gets worse then I may have some concern, and will wait a few hundred more rounds until I chrome it.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Yes although I do like them to stay pretty, I buy them to shoot them, also with a little collecting in mind! I have one safe queen lately and it’s a 22 pistol that I used to practice with a lot. My Vbob has 700 rounds through it in the 6 months I’ve been able to shoot it, so I try to keep it busy. It already has earned scratches and wear from holstering and carrying, so I don’t get in a twist about that. It’s not going to stay perfect.. that’s why I took a picture when I first got it! Regardless of the cosmetic peening I love this pistol, and am not going to change my mind on what a great shooter it is. It’s my most expensive and still my favorite go to gun. It will still be on my night stand at night, and it will still be carried whenever I can conceal it.
It seems like it’s hit or miss with the peening from the links I posted, and it happens even to the cream of the crop. I put the pistol back together without the barrel and spring and worked the parts together. Looks like the slide stop may have made the clearance it needs, and hopefully won’t go any further.. Going to the range tomorrow and will hammer some rounds through it. I marked the spots with permanent marker. I’ll fire a few mags through and take it apart and see if it’s still hitting. I’m open to any other suggestions, otherwise.

Meanwhile I will wait for Keith’s second opinionand if he tells me it’s purely cosmetic, I’m not going to lose sleep about it. If it gets worse then I may have some concern, and will wait a few hundred more rounds until I chrome it.
Like I posted earlier in this thread.....looks like Arkansas stones are in your future. Mine too.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Like I posted earlier in this thread.....looks like Arkansas stones are in your future. Mine too.
On my to-do list along with some new WC ETM mags.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 AM
COTEP Member

Keith got back to me right as I was getting to bed about 11:47 PM. So any of you out there that runs into this has an explanation. Here's what he said:

Marty,

Yes this is completely normal. It does not occur on every gun but a large majority. It is purl cosmetic and will not have any effect on funtion. The slide is made of 416 stainless, which is the industry standard. The slidestop, which takes a lot of abuse, is made of 420 stainless and hardened to 50 Rockwell for durability. This peeing does occur on carbon and steal guns from every manufacturer. Do a Google search and look at the images. You will see what I mean.

I am not sure how many rounds you have through it but I am guessing not many by the looks of the wear on the slide. If you are concerned about the looks of the gun, I suggest shooting it a lot more and then send the slide to us. We would be happy to dress the area up a bit to make it look better.

I am glad to hear that your customer severe with Glen was good.

Thank you for purchasing a Dan Wesson firearm and good shooting. If the is anything else we can do to help you, please ask.

Keith Lawton
VP of Operations DW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2015, 09:28 AM
COTEP Member

[QUOTE=aqualungs;99907]Keith got back to me right as I was getting to bed about 11:47 PM. So any of you out there that runs into this has an explanation. Here's what he said:

Marty,

Yes this is completely normal. It does not occur on every gun but a large majority. It is purl cosmetic and will not have any effect on funtion. The slide is made of 416 stainless, which is the industry standard. The slidestop, which takes a lot of abuse, is made of 420 stainless and hardened to 50 Rockwell for durability. This peeing does occur on carbon and steal guns from every manufacturer. Do a Google search and look at the images. You will see what I mean.

I am not sure how many rounds you have through it but I am guessing not many by the looks of the wear on the slide. If you are concerned about the looks of the gun, I suggest shooting it a lot more and then send the slide to us. We would be happy to dress the area up a bit to make it look better.

I am glad to hear that your customer severe with Glen was good.

Thank you for purchasing a Dan Wesson firearm and good shooting. If the is anything else we can do to help you, please ask.

Keith Lawton
VP of Operations DW

I wonder why it happens to some guns and not others.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I wonder why it happens to some guns and not others.
The ones that don't get shot stay perfect.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM
COTEP Member

Guess we will all have to buy another!