COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Honor, Duty, Country

Old 04-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts
Thumbs up I met a 3 war veteran.

On my return trip from Tucson, I struck up a conversation with the guy seated on my right. It turns out USAF Col (Ret) William "Bill" Bellamy was a veteran of 3 wars and most of his children and some grandchildren followed his footsteps and joined the Air Force also.

Some of the stories he told me were that:

1) He survived WWII as a B-24 tailgunner.
2) He was a F-86 Sabre pilot during the Korean War.
3) Lastly, he was a F-4 Phantom pilot during the Vietnam War, where he survived being shot down and was rescued by a Marine Recon Patrol. He said he was 44 yrs old when he flew his last mission. I saw a tear roll down his cheek when he was telling stories about his friends that were KIA during Vietnam.

He told me stories about how he got his pilots license while flying a Curtiss bi-plane. How he got to Fly the infamous P-51 Mustang. How he trained to fly the B-36, B-47 and B-52's.

He went on to be an engineer at McDonnell-las as well as Hughes Aviation.

I wish our flight was longer as an hour was not enough time getting to know Mr. Bellamy.

I tell you this story so that the next time you're on a flight, train or even standing in line and you see an "ol timer", strike up a conversation with them, you might be surprised who you end up talking with!!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to skosh69 For This Useful Post:
BlackKnight (04-17-2016), Caleb (04-18-2016), Gatorade (04-17-2016), milkmanjoe (04-18-2016), pony up (04-18-2016), RKP (04-17-2016), sdmc530 (04-17-2016), Xbonz (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

that is AWESOME
Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 PM
COTEP Member

I'm blessed by my 99 year old next door neighbor. Commissioned in '39 in the cavalry, converted to armor, was an observer with the British Light Raiding Forces under Randolph Churchill in Lybia. Returned to the US and was part of Operation Torch invasion of North Africa, was at Kasserine. Invaded Sicily. Landed at Anzio and fought up the Italian Peninsula. Converted to aviation and flew artillery observation including 16" naval gunfire as well has helo dustoffs for the MASHes. Was shot down flying an arty observation mission by a mortar shell...retrieved just in time by the good guys. Was in Vietnam before we were in Vietnam...was at ground zero when a command detonation mine went off many in the area KIA he had many many shrapnel wounds and airblast damage. (In fact I had to use my letherman several years ago to remove a piece of shrapnel from his shoulder blade....it had worked through the skin and was bleeding so he told me to remove it). Returned stateside and was a key developer of the airmobile concept. Flew Hueys in both dustoff and gunship modes. Finally retired in 1970. His life since then is a story too. The greatest generation At least 3 Purple Hearts a DSC plus a bunch of others. As the son of a WWII vet and a Vet Myself I'm proud to call Col. John B. my friend.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
I'm blessed by my 99 year old next door neighbor. Commissioned in '39 in the cavalry, converted to armor, was an observer with the British Light Raiding Forces under Randolph Churchill in Lybia. Returned to the US and was part of Operation Torch invasion of North Africa, was at Kasserine. Invaded Sicily. Landed at Anzio and fought up the Italian Peninsula. Converted to aviation and flew artillery observation including 16" naval gunfire as well has helo dustoffs for the MASHes. Was shot down flying an arty observation mission by a mortar shell...retrieved just in time by the good guys. Was in Vietnam before we were in Vietnam...was at ground zero when a command detonation mine went off many in the area KIA he had many many shrapnel wounds and airblast damage. (In fact I had to use my letherman several years ago to remove a piece of shrapnel from his shoulder blade....it had worked through the skin and was bleeding so he told me to remove it). Returned stateside and was a key developer of the airmobile concept. Flew Hueys in both dustoff and gunship modes. Finally retired in 1970. His life since then is a story too. The greatest generation At least 3 Purple Hearts a DSC plus a bunch of others. As the son of a WWII vet and a Vet Myself I'm proud to call Col. John B. my friend.
Now that's just awesome right there. Tell him thank you for all of his service from us Cotepians.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Good deal Ell! That was an awesome flight, I bet you were on the ground before you knew it.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Awesome story. I like to do the same.

Many years ago when I visited Rhode Island I was walking along Narragansett beach I came across an elderly gentleman. He was leaning against the passenger side by the front passenger door which was open. His wife was in the front seat. They were enjoying the ocean breeze. It appeared as his wife was ill.
As I walked up I noticed he had a wounded veteran type license plate. I asked him about it and he said he was a WWII vet. I thanked him for his service. He said that was the first time anyone ever thanked him for his service. As we continued talking he finally sated he was under Patton. I almost fell over.

I find the elderly, especially vets, are walking history books. I love listening to them.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM
COTEP Member

I truly enjoy hearing/reading these types of stories ... thanks for sharing!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 PM
COTEP Member

This thread is epic. Thank you to all our veterans. Semper please thank your neighbor fob us.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk