COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 AM
COTEP Member

Default Pawn Shops - The new "2A Registration???"

Occasionally, I'll frequent a pawn shop or two just to see if there are any real bargains to be had or if I can sell something that will render a good price (most times, it usually doesn't). I did happen to sell an item the other day, and, of course, they make you fill out the forms (same form for either a sale or pawn, etc.), for which you have to provide a thumb print. The shop mgr. saw me "roll" the thumb print and said, "Sorry, I need you do do that again (on a new form). Just push down, and don't roll. We've had problems lately when the police come to audit us... they get upset when we have bad thumb prints..."

And After thinking about this, I asked, "Are you telling me that LE gets to see these forms?" He said, "Absolutely they do. With the volume of business we do, we get audited regularly." Apparently, all items traded through pawn shops are subject to audit by LE to prevent against trading in "hot" merchandise.

It seems to make sense, but then I thought, "what of people who trade/pawn firearms through such a pawn shop?" The forms completed list name, address, DL#, SS#, and, each item, line by line, including make, model and serial #. If LE has access to and can record those forms, is that not a form of "registration" similar to when the ATF comes in and captures an FFL's 4473 book? Is it usually local LE or FDLE, or the feds that come in to do these audits?

Big deal or not?

The Following User Says Thank You to FfNJGTFO For This Useful Post:
Gatorade (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Yeap, we (NJ) do that as well when it comes to pawn shops. It's a way to track and minimize the fencing of stolen goods.
Now, I'll do one better. In the state of NJ they already have a computerized system through the state's computerized criminal history to track all legally owned firearms. The NJ State Police maintains the database.
Right now I can go on one and view all my handguns and which ones I sold. They have not added long guns, yet.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:26 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Yeap, we (NJ) do that as well when it comes to pawn shops. It's a way to track and minimize the fencing of stolen goods.
Now, I'll do one better. In the state of NJ they already have a computerized system through the state's computerized criminal history to track all legally owned firearms. The NJ State Police maintains the database.
I know... Remember, I used to live there. After all, the P2P form does say, "And form of Register...." doesn't it?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
I know... Remember, I used to live there. After all, the P2P form does say, "And form of Register...." doesn't it?

Yeah. Lucky you that you got paroled from this prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

the only things I ever found in pawn shops were surly counter help, overpriced crap and cussfights
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I made some fantastic gun purchases in pawn shops.

If it weren't for that $500 Dan Wesson 1911 I found in a pawn shop, I might still be living in a state of unenlightenment!

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM
COTEP Member

Gun registration is illegal in Florida, therefore it doesn't happen.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:17 PM
COTEP Member

I guess for me it wouldn't matter as I would probably only buy from a pawn shop. Everyone knows pawn shops pay next to nothing so I would never sell to one. I assume the prints and extra paperwork is for sellers, not buyers, correct?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I guess for me it wouldn't matter as I would probably only buy from a pawn shop. Everyone knows pawn shops pay next to nothing so I would never sell to one. I assume the prints and extra paperwork is for sellers, not buyers, correct?
I was told the same form is used for all transactions: Buy/Sell/Pawn. Do they require a thumb print for a buy? I don't know.