COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts
Default LEO/bad guy shoot out

Thank God the LEO survived. No offense to the LEO, but forget holding a taser on a someone wearing a thick ass jacket walking away from you.

The POS bad guy got 35 yrs for attempted murder.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f92_1502397420

Shorter video here:

The Following User Says Thank You to skosh69 For This Useful Post:
FfNJGTFO (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Thank God the LEO survived. No offense to the LEO, but forget holding a taser on a someone wearing a thick ass jacket walking away from you.

The POS bad guy got 35 yrs for attempted murder.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f92_1502397420

Shorter video here:

I hope the dept. seeks to get all their officers body cams. If not for Off. Smith buying his own and using that, we may never have been able to catch the perp.

I do have to agree that Off. Smith could have drawn his firearm a lot sooner, once it was clear that Mr. Orr was not complying with his orders to "stop" and "take hands out of pockets..." which Mr. Orr refused to do several times. I just hope that this wasn't a "Ferguson Effect" (i.e Off. Smith hesitating to draw out of fear of the backlash for using deadly force "too soon..."). Also, I might have kept a bit more distance from Orr, rather than getting within "point blank" range of him, such that he (Off. Smith) didn't have time to react and/or take evasive action.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 08-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Yeah, not too long ago when tazers were not issues he would have had his weapon drawn right out for that guy not complying. Now with escalation of force "politics" you have to go to the tazer. I have seen so many times it being not effective at all. Glad the guy is ok....
Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Yeah, not too long ago when tazers were not issues he would have had his weapon drawn right out for that guy not complying. Now with escalation of force "politics" you have to go to the tazer. I have seen so many times it being not effective at all. Glad the guy is ok....
There was a question as to whether or not the Taser would have penetrated the perp's cammo clothing (i.e. must the probe actualy touch flesh or will it penetrate the clothing)?

Still I'd have tried to stay just on the edge of reach of the probes.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Plugin not supported
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-11-2017, 06:16 PM
COTEP Member

Happy to hear officer Smith survived and the perp was caught. Hope the thug gets shanked while in jail, sooner than later.

Last edited by pitor; 08-11-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

The probes would not have likely worked. They don't do well in any thing thinker than denim.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:37 PM
COTEP Member

Very happy the officer survived and bad guy is in jail.

However one thing I noted. You had at least two bystandards, one was a huge help in calming the officer but didn't sound like administering first aid. Closest was his assessment of the neck injury as not having a lot of blood. He relayed messages to dispatch and stayed with the officer. Good on him, that officer will forever know there are good people out there. The other bystandard was whaling with extreme volume and demanding Jesus to keep the officer alive.

You all know I am not a religious guy. However I can't help but wonder how many lives could be saved by bystandards putting pressure on bleeding wounds and keeping airways and circulation clear and flowing.

Stop screaming for Devine intervention and interviene by maybe skipping church ONE Sunday and taking a first aid class. Screaming for Jesus is the same as screaming to stay woke in my book. Take the fate of the injured out of the hands of Alah, God, Jesus, Mohammed, The Force, or any other Spaghetti Monster deity and put it in your hands with a first aid cpr class.

Sad thing is that screaming banshee will be telling others for years how her prayers saved that officers life that day.

Pray if you want but make sure you are praying while stuffing the would with gauze or better the quickclot that the officer may have in his IFAK. I have it in mine in my car and hope I may never need it but between prayer and quickclot give me quickclot!

Last edited by Gatorade; 08-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:19 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Very happy the officer survived and bad guy is in jail.

However one thing I noted. You had at least two bystanders, one was a huge help in calming the officer but didn't sound like administering first aid. Closest was his assessment of the neck injury as not having a lot of blood. He relayed messages to dispatch and stayed with the officer. Good on him, that officer will forever know there are good people out there. The other bystander was whaling with extreme volume and demanding Jesus to keep the officer alive.

You all know I am not a religious guy. However I can't help but wonder how many lives could be saved by bystanders putting pressure on bleeding wounds and keeping airways and circulation clear and flowing.
Well, Bystander #1 freely admitted he had no training in 1st aid or CPR. He was trying to find someone who did, and he did call 911 before he approached the LEO. He deserves recognition for what he did. I'm not going to hold the lady's reaction against her. It's what happens sometimes at scenes. When I was taking EMT training, we actually had a drill where we had to deal with "hysterical" bystanders. Still, we were all able to keep control of the scene and the "hysterical folks" out of our hair. I do commend Bystander #1 for trying to get her to keep quiet so as not to upset the victim further. In fact, she did calm down and was telling the officer to "not move" for his own sake.

Quote:
Sad thing is that screaming banshee will be telling others for years how her prayers saved that officers life that day.
Unfortunately, that's just how some folks react in the South, especially in times of tragedy like this. Did you ever hear Richard Pryor's routine about "Black vs. White funerals...." <---- There's a link to it, but I won't imbed the video as is definitely NSFW.... Lot's of "F-Bombs", sexual references, and one album cover with the "N" word on it .. But you can get his point easily.

Quote:
Pray if you want but make sure you are praying while stuffing the would with gauze or better the quickclot that the officer may have in his IFAK. I have it in mine in my car and hope I may never need it but between prayer and quickclot give me quickclot!
I'm not going to hold it against them that they didn't try to intervene with 1st aid, especially if they don't know what they're doing. People get sued for that, and I wouldn't rely on "Good Samaritan" laws to protect them. They can still lose a bunch of money just defending themselves. As for applying direct pressure to the neck, I'm not sure if that would be appropriate unless you actually saw a lot of blood loss (i.e. a "pumper"). You don't know where the bullet might be and whether or not applying pressure might change it's location and, potentially, cause further damage. Bystander #1 noted that it wasn't bleeding much at all, even though the wound was flayed open (as we found out in the prosecutor's summary).

Oh, I didn't post the prosecutor's summary, yet. Here it is...

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 08-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.