COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts
Question 1911 Parts advice please

I'm looking to have some minor mod's done to my Colt Gov't model 70 series. I want to change to a beavertail, which I know will require new hammer and I assume sear. If I'm going to do that I might as well change the trigger, slide release, and safety (the pistol is hard chrome and the parts are silver, would like to change them to blue/black). Any recommendations as to what brand parts to purchase? Any other changes that should or must be made? Thanks in advance..
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM
COTEP Member

Default I used Cylider and Slide components.

I replaced the fire control group in my Colt Combat Elite a couple of years ago with a Cylinder and Slide kit from Brownells. Pre cut sear / hammer.

It is first class, very well made and required minimal fitting.

Marc
Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
I replaced the fire control group in my Colt Combat Elite a couple of years ago with a Cylinder and Slide kit from Brownells. Pre cut sear / hammer.

It is first class, very well made and required minimal fitting.

Marc
Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

yep, the kits are the way to go. I have expericne with EB and they are very good too. Very little fitting needed, good stuff. C&S stuff is also very good, have had a few of the parts from them folks and also good stuff.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

All three companies listed make good kits..a word of advice..PM Dave Waits here...he'll tell you if you need any more parts to complete what you want..and what fitting may be required. He's been busy lately, so a PM is the best way to go and if that don't work, let me know and I'll email him
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

What he said! Think about a new set of pins.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
I'm looking to have some minor mod's done to my Colt Gov't model 70 series. I want to change to a beavertail, which I know will require new hammer and I assume sear. If I'm going to do that I might as well change the trigger, slide release, and safety (the pistol is hard chrome and the parts are silver, would like to change them to blue/black). Any recommendations as to what brand parts to purchase? Any other changes that should or must be made? Thanks in advance..
Okay, I'll try to help in order here. First, what kind of beavertail are you looking for?Since you're modding a Series 70, I'd recommend a Beavertail with a .250 Radius. They do make some with a .220 radius but, very few. Personally, I like the Ed Brown Memory-Bump Beavertails.

You're correct in that your existing Hammer, as it is, won't work with a beavertail. You have two options here, one, you can Bob your existing Hammer. This involves cutting off and blending about 1/8th inch off of your Spur. The other is to purchase one of the many kits out there. I like the Cylinder&Slide kits, specifically, the Tactical II 4lb. Kit. Has a Hammer,Sear, Disconnector, new searspring and hammer spring. Part number is Brownells #206-000-058WB, $143.99. It is a drop-in unit. It's also strongly advised to replace the Thumb-Safety also. If you like them, you can order a new stock thumb-safety from Colt or get one of the tons of Tactical Thumb-Safeties out there. Reason is, the existing thumb-safety may be cut too short already to work with the new parts. I recommend the Wilson Combat Bullet-Proof Slide-Stop as it has a .200 pin which will tighten up your lockup a bit and help with accuracy.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Thanks
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Okay, I'll try to help in order here. First, what kind of beavertail are you looking for?Since you're modding a Series 70, I'd recommend a Beavertail with a .250 Radius. They do make some with a .220 radius but, very few. Personally, I like the Ed Brown Memory-Bump Beavertails.

You're correct in that your existing Hammer, as it is, won't work with a beavertail. You have two options here, one, you can Bob your existing Hammer. This involves cutting off and blending about 1/8th inch off of your Spur. The other is to purchase one of the many kits out there. I like the Cylinder&Slide kits, specifically, the Tactical II 4lb. Kit. Has a Hammer,Sear, Disconnector, new searspring and hammer spring. Part number is Brownells #206-000-058WB, $143.99. It is a drop-in unit. It's also strongly advised to replace the Thumb-Safety also. If you like them, you can order a new stock thumb-safety from Colt or get one of the tons of Tactical Thumb-Safeties out there. Reason is, the existing thumb-safety may be cut too short already to work with the new parts. I recommend the Wilson Combat Bullet-Proof Slide-Stop as it has a .200 pin which will tighten up your lockup a bit and help with accuracy.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.
Helps a great deal. Thank you. Now to get off my arse and get these ordered and done...