COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default I want to Start Reloading

Well I want to start reloading and have read pretty much every thread on few sites and can say Iam more confused now that when I started researching presses and what gear I would need to get started reloading for .45 and possibly. 223.Could someone help me out on what would be A good press and whatever else I need to start reloading without spending A small fortune on gear.I will mainly be shooting around 600 to 1000 rounds tops A month..Any input would be greatly appreciated or if you have A used setup that you may want to sell I'm definitely open to that as well..

Thanks to everyone in Advance
CBOB#0525
Army Vet.
Wilson Cqb Elite
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I ran into the same questions and confusion - here's how I started:

MidwayUSA was running a Christmas special for the Lee Classic Single Stage Anniversary Kit (Looks like it's still under $100). This includes pretty much everything you need except the dies. I added a set of calipers and some extra quick change bushings (and eventually a different scale - I didn't care for the Lee scale). I also bought some case trays for the calibers that I reload for.

Since then, I've added a tumbler, media separator, and have upgraded to a Dillon 550B progressive.

This is a good way to get started. Working with a Single Stage gives you a chance to learn the individual steps and build good habits for making safe, reliable reloads. The only squib I've had was on the progressive press.Since then, I've added a tumbler, media separator, and have upgraded to a Dillon 550B progressive.

With the single stage, I could do 50-100 rounds per hour; with the progressive, I can do 4-500 per hour. Changing caliber on the single stage takes seconds; changing caliber on the Dillon takes 15 minutes or so (and I've purchased a second head).

A lot of folks will bash Lee - they are definitely at the low end of the scale - but they have amazing customer support. They have a great warranty, and if something breaks, they pop the replacement in overnite mail. I've had a couple of parts break and they replace it, no questions asked.

As a side note, I usually buy my powder and primers at local gun stores (online appears cheaper until you pay the hazmat fees...) and get my bullets from Precision Delta.

Hopefully this helps. Keep in mind, you don't spend less money when reloading, you just shoot more.

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

I would look at the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage, get two or three Reloading Manuals. Then read the instructions and then read them again.
After done reading do a few shells then, expand your amount then try the 223.............. One more suggestion buy Good Carbide dies...........

Old 02-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
One more suggestion buy Good Carbide dies
+1!!

I forgot that part - you'll be much happier with Carbide dies - they aren't that much more expensive...

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well that pretty well sums it up.

RCBS rock chucker
Lyman 49th
Powder trickler
Dies
RCBS 5-0-5 scale
ABC's of reloading
Digital Calipers
Brass, powder, primers, bullets
A RCBS powder drop will help speed up the process also
Did I miss anything?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Start off by buying a couple of reloading books and study them. The ABCs of Reloading is a good one to start off with. http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading...0435851&sr=8-1

If you make it thru that book and still want to reload, then the fun begins. There are several good videos on youtube that I watched so I could see how the different presses functioned so I could choose the best one for my needs. I chose right off the bat to skip the single stage press because I wanted to buy the stuff I was going to use in the long term up front and not waste money on something to learn the process. I just used my progressive press as a single stage initially to learn how to adjust the dies and powder drop, then ran single cases thru while checking them, and finally moving up to using the press to it's full capablilities.

The top two progessive presses that are truly progressive and have 5 die stations are the Dillion 650 and the Hornady Lock-n-load. I ended up picking the Hornady Lock-n-load Progressive press and I'm very glad that I did. I've reloaded over 3k rounds with it so far. Things that I liked about the LNL over the 650 was that the case placement and bullet seating both took place on the left side of the press. My left hand handles the case and bullet, and my right hand never leaves the press handle. Also, the location of the bullet seating is in the front of the press and provides an unobstructed view of the amount of powder in the case so I can check each one visually.

The best advice is to use all of the available research material, books and the internet, to look at the different presses and get a basic understanding of the process. Then dive in with both feet if its something that you think that you can handle and enjoy.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

All of the above info is right on!!

Start out small, I mean a single stage press in case reloading is not for you. If it is then you can progress later on to a Dillon or the like!!

About the best info I can offer is to reload in a room by yourself and free from noise if you can. The least little sounds or disturbances can be distracting. Really by sounds I mean the TV, radio or friends or family members talking to you!!

A double charge or an under charge can both cause devastating results!!

I am anal in my reloading in that I crank out 10 rounds on my Dillon RL550B and then mic and check the weight on EVERY one!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

A big Thank You to everyone that has responded and I forgot to mention that I did in advance buy 3 reloading books one being the ABC's of reloading and I think that I will definitely go the route of A single stage press to begin with,would you recommend the lee or the RC BS single stage press?After the press I just need A set of Carbine Dies correct?Do I need 3 PC or the 4 PC die set?I have A high quality set of digital calipers in my possession already I guess I still would need A scale also..
Thanks again to everyone I just love this place and will start being more active in the Forum as I have been out foe awhile as I had to have A Bowel Resection for my Crohns Disease and I had multiple complications from the initial surgery that resulted in me having two additional surgeries on top of that and I'm actually still in the Hospital right now but hope to be released real soon...This forum has made my stay in the hospital A little more bare able by being able to read and keep up on my favorite Hobby
CBOB#0525
Army Vet.
Wilson Cqb Elite
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Congrats to you for taking interest in reloading...

Whatever press setup you get, just remember to always make sure there's powder in the cases before seating the bullet, otherwise you'll be known as "Mr. Squib", like me...hehehehe

There's your reloading safety tip for the day.......

PS, I recommend the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit, it has everything you need, minus the dies and a tumbler!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Three die, the fourth die is a factory crimp. Some people use them but they only fix something that should have been taken care of in step three. Hope you get to feeling better. We are thinking and praying for your speedy recovery.