COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 PM
COTEP Member

Default Desiccants for Dry Gunsafes

A vid that combines my knowledge of air conditioning/refrigeration systems with keeping guns and gunsafes dry and hopefully rust free.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to milkmanjoe For This Useful Post:
NAMVET72 (10-25-2014), Riverpigusmc (05-23-2014), Xbonz (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:05 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

If I may add something here. If you happen to live near a mattress store that sells TempurPedic stop in and ask them for the dessicant bags that come packed in each mattress. They are huge, free, and work extremely well. I have about 20 in my safe and ammo locker.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
If I may add something here. If you happen to live near a mattress store that sells TempurPedic stop in and ask them for the dessicant bags that come packed in each mattress. They are huge, free, and work extremely well. I have about 20 in my safe and ammo locker.
Great tip Bonz....have a store around the corner.....mattress shopping this weekend!.....

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:26 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Great vid Joe.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
I need to get an ammo locker this year. I have some in the safe, some here, some there, some every damn where! What do you use and do you anchor it?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
I need to get an ammo locker this year. I have some in the safe, some here, some there, some every damn where! What do you use and do you anchor it?

I rent so it can't be secured properly. It won't fit through the doorway unless it's on end. With as much ammo as I have in it, picking it up will require two very large men. If you are truly concerned you can bolt it to the floor and then fill the feet with concrete. Also helps if you place weights in the bottom.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 PM
COTEP Member

OK, I've looked at those. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 AM
COTEP Member

Nicely done, big guy! Thank you.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:06 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
Quote:

I rent so it can't be secured properly. It won't fit through the doorway unless it's on end. With as much ammo as I have in it, picking it up will require two very large men. If you are truly concerned you can bolt it to the floor and then fill the feet with concrete. Also helps if you place weights in the bottom.

I have gang boxes like these. I do anchor them with custom made bolts. Everything I put anything valuable in is anchored, very securely. For people who rent all I ever advise it to make the box as heavy as you can and remove anything in the form of a round pipe(roller) or handtruck or furniture dolly, even a pry bar, from the premises. People can be sooooo ignorant. They secure their belongings then leave the thief the tools to breach their security. My neighbor here in Boca lost all his family jewelry like that. Crooks(his kid's friends), used his own tools from his garage, to pull a wall safe out. The kids were busted a year later for another theft, his stuff never recovered. Secure your stuff and do not enable the crooks!

Old 05-24-2014, 01:48 PM
COTEP Member

I have a small room in the back of garage. It is maybe 6x10 and I have one of those portable AC units ducted outside thru a 4" hole. It exhausts condensate with the air.

I additionally have Eva Dry dehumidifiers, one in each safe, the kind you heat in electric plug to recharge when damp and a freestanding EvaDry unit with a 16 ounce reservoir. Everything seems to work, but I do occasionally get a little mold stuff in the dead holster drawer. Guns look fine.

Any suggestions MMJ? I don't really have room for big bags of desiccant in the safes.