COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Les Baer

Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts
Unhappy Mono madness

Well, I have a high quality problem if you will. After fondling the Mono yesterday, I noticed that there appeared to be a gap on the right side frame to slide fit. At first it looks like an optical illusion. That maybe the serration (done by hand) is just missing from that area.

I was hesitant to post this as some people will tell me quit b*tching and just shoot the damn thing. Well, when you drop serious coin for something, you hope for a little more attention to detail.

Had this gun been sitting on a shelf at a dealer, would I have bought it with that flaw? Probably not, would you? I think not.

Well, a piece of 0.0035" thick and 0.154" wide "post it" says differently.[/B]

I can live with the even gap around the ejector, that I'm not questioning at all. My issue is with the gap between the frame and slide on the right side.

And yes, I noticed the munched serration on the bottom left side.

Again, My $1200 Kimber nor my $1100 Dan Wesson have any gaps like this.

Well, I emailed Les Baer yesterday and even called them this morning....NO response as of yet. From I remember reading in regards to their customer service, this is to be expected.

You be the judge!

Last edited by Riverpigusmc; 06-04-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 PM
COTEP Member

Not bustin horns at all...cause I am bothered too....Somebody drop it and step on it? Looks kinda twisted, weird.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Looking closer, it don't look like the slide is the problem. Right frame rail looks cocked. Your call, brother, but don't be surprised if Les says "but how does it shoot?"
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Looking closer, it don't look like the slide is the problem. Right frame rail looks cocked. Your call, brother, but don't be surprised if Les says "but how does it shoot?"
For that kind of money......it should look as good as it shoots.

Personally, I would not be happy with that. If it was an assembly line pistol, I would deal with it........this is not.

I'm sorry for your disatisfaction on an otherwise beautiful pistol, Ell. Hope they make it right.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

, looking at the pictures the whole backend looks out of whack to me.

I hope that you can get some satisfaction from Baer as I think that you will never really be truly happy with it like it is.

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Hmmmmm

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

BUT...

How does it shoot?

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Not bustin horns at all...cause I am bothered too....Somebody drop it and step on it? Looks kinda twisted, weird.
+ 1
NRA Member
:stand:
Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have seen similar things a few times. Various guns. Looks like the frame rail was gently nudged to have a tighter fit against the slide. Kind of a bad way to fit the slide but not uncommon. The question is, does the slide move. it should be locked up tight when fully forward and pretty damn tight when locked back. If it is, i doubt LB will do anything. If it isn't well you have a case for a product that does not meet your expectations.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts
Default Update 6/6

After a few emails and phone calls, I finally got to talk with Les today. While a pleasant man to talk with, he was steadfast about not being able to do anything about the gap.

He offered for me to send it back and he'd look at it.

I then called CJ to see about the best way to ship it or if shipping would be covered. He suggested that to save time and money, why not call Les back and find out for sure what he'd (Les) be willing to do, no sense wasting time and money for nothing.

I call back and Les is busy but a lady named Kate talks with me. She assures me that nothing is wrong with my pistol, that the imperfection that I see is just a result of hand fitting by human hands. After back and forth conversation, I'm basically told to pound sand and that there's nothing at all that can be done! I ask what about replacement? That garnered a chuckle, said that there is no way a replacement is going to happen.

She did manage to talk to me long enough to make me feel better about the pistol and somehow convinced me to shoot the pistol and just enjoy it.

I hung up with a good feeling.

Then that voice came back saying..."what about the 100% customer satisfaction guarantee"? Arghh.....

So, now I have a couple choices:

1) Send this back to Baer, have them strip the serrations off the slide, re-blend the slide to frame and refinish. That is not an unreasonable request I think.

2) Sell it to fund another Mono build. I would buy a bone stock Mono and send it to Rob at Alchemy Customs to to all that I want like this one was supposed to have been.

3) Send this one to Rob and have him fix it.

Decisions, decisions.