COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 PM
COTEP Member

Default Fixing my Peepers

Well guys I think the time has arrived that that my OD has been warning me about. I, at 59, have cataracts, that are now affecting my vision. Until recently they were not much bother. At my appointment last fall Dr. Ken kept asking me if I was having vision problems. Once pushed a little he told me that the cataracts were close to causing me problems but so long as he could refract me to better than 20/20 near and far he would not push cataract surgery.

Well I am having problems now.

Pistol front sights, which a few months ago were just a bit of head tilt to find the sweet spot have no sweet spot except on really bright days. I have to work to find the sweet spot for my distance vision. Stuff I could read across the street months ago is a chore. The time to fix stuff is coming.

I've been in glasses since I was 7 and in progressive lenses since my mid 40s. I have a couple of diopters difference between eyes but can read in bed with no headaches or problems.

The questions for you guys is have you gone the cataract or lasik route and did you go binocular or mono vision, with one eye set close and the other for distance. I don't expect a ton of help from Dr. Ken since he is not a shooter. Your thoughts and experiences?
I'm thinking that I am heading to one of my wife's friends ophthalmologist, who is retired Navy and worked at Little Creek who,and according to work sources, apparently saw some of the Team personnel. Getting old sucks but beats the alternatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Semper Paratus For This Useful Post:
boatdoc (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 PM
COTEP Member

I have head good things about lasik, and bad things about it. The bad things make me want to be blind vs taking a chance at it. My left eye is weaker than my right, only affects me when I am tired, Like right now. I am exhausted and have to close my left eye to read what I type. Yes I have reading glasses but I always fail to put them on. I have a fear I may be going into full time glasses and to be honest I can't really stand to wear even sunglasses half the time.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have no direct experience with this situation my wife had lasiks to correct a 20/400 issue nearly 20 years ago. Since then the march of time has taken it toll as would be expected. My mom deals with PC cataracts (floaters) and has done several rounds of zapping to clear them up.
So the 1st question is what type of cataracts do you have? Depending on the type will depend on the surgery you will be faced with.

Types of Cataracts

•Nuclear cataracts form in the middle of the lens and cause the nucleus, or the center, to become yellow or brown.
•Cortical cataracts are wedge-shaped and form around the edges of the nucleus.
•Posterior capsular cataracts form faster than the other two types and affect the back of the lens.

The first 2 conditions may require lens replacement. If the lens is effected on the front surface lasiks may help. If it's forming from the back of the lens... bummer.
Posterior capsular can sometimes be ZAPPED by laser and then lasik to adjust your vision.
If your eyes are close to the same then I would suggest staying stereo and work on near / far together. Mono differentiation can take some getting use to.

COTEP 439
Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I have no experience either, sorry but I there are a few guys on the patrol that had corrective surgery and they have been very pleased, however more than one complain their night vision has diminished.

I am with Joe, no lasik for me either, not worth the risk for me until I have too!

My dad had his cataracts done about a year ago, no issues for him. Said he has best vision he has had in years. But he only shoots with me 1 or 2 times a year so he wouldn't know the difference I guess.

Keep us posted, good luck!!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 AM
COTEP Member

no experience withthe surgery yet

but my story about cataracts is --to me anyway

I went to get a check up so I could get new eyeglasses. I have worn glasses for near sightedness( cannot see far away) since I wa s9 years old.

My new eye doc told me I do NOT need glasses anymore....because I have cataracts.!!! I never heard of such a thing. Cataracts improving my vision. at least until I need the surgery.

these days cataract surgery is ease. Make sur e the Doc gets a good night sleep.
good luck
Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Make sur e the Doc gets a good night sleep.
good luck
this makes me laugh at my doc. When I was getting snipped my appt was at 1300. He walks into the room and first think he says, man I wish I hadn't had that third drink at lunch. (he didn't even smile or anything when he said it)

His nurse just about died laughing......it was as hell
Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Good luck Sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 PM
COTEP Member

I had cataract surgery (lens replacement) on both eyes approx. 1 week apart back in April, I haven’t worn glasses since the first eye was done or thereafter. At the 1 week follow up the sight was at 20/20 with NO complications or complaints from me. I have NO regrets on having it done what so ever, the procedure took approx. 12 min per eye (out patient) and I was totally awake (mandatory but no biggie!!) during the entire procedure and was driving the next day. They recommended and installed TECNIS Symfony (Toric) extended depth of focus IOC (intraocular lenses / # ZXT150) which gives one excellent distance/intermediate and near vision and also corrects mild astigmatism, driving at night vision is greatly improved as well.
I’ll be totally honest, I was not thrilled, at all, about someone messing with my eyes but I could not be any happier now, another follow up in Sept.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks--Scheduled in for the Spring of 2020 with a guy who used to do eyes for the East Coast Seal teams. He is an accomplished shooter in his own right. At least when I see him I will be dealing with someone who understands my vision problems with shooting. At this point I am hoping my eyes will hang on that long.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

My ophthalmologist is a target shooter - I'm talking about a precision match shooter that uses peep sights, so I think he will be able to steer me right.

He says I have them, but it's not time yet for the surgery. I have unusually good night vision for my age (66), much better than my wife who is six years younger than I am. But I am beginning to see the signs.

If you want to slow down the development of cataracts, avoid UV light, because ultraviolet light is one of the major risk factors for both cataracts and macular degeneration. Wear sunglasses that block 100% of UV, even on cloudy days.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell