COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2020, 08:17 PM
COTEP Member

Default Not new, but...

It's been a long time. Coming on seven years, best as I can figure. I had to leave for a while, but I'm back now, and hopefully to stay.

Still shooting, still reloading, and still wearing my COTEP hat

Cheers,
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boats For This Useful Post:
BlackKnight (08-30-2020), NAMVET72 (08-31-2020), sdmc530 (08-31-2020), Sheepdog (09-04-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Welcome back!
How are those new Virginia gun laws affecting you?
I'm afraid to take a gun into Virginia now. I'll have to find a range in North Carolina where I can meet my son-in-law to shoot with him.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 PM
COTEP Member

Hey Jim!

Good to be back!

So far the laws haven't affected me down in the southern/rural part of Virginia.

I'm worried about them passing a magazine law that would basically make all semi auto pistols illegal. The way the law is phrased, any firearm which can accept a magazine containing more than 10 rounds... essentially means any weapon with a magazine. It failed last time. If it passes, it might make 1911's illegal. The only things I'll have that are legal then will be my Remington 870 and my Remington 700. Sad.

Then there's the assault weapon ban that failed last time, but who knows next time.

Then there's the 30 day wait between purchases, but that doesn't apply to CCW holders.

Wife just retired from USN with 30 years of service and if they really pass those laws, we're thinking about moving to Idaho. At least there's no rioting there, and folks pretty much leave you alone.

What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Welcome back!
How are those new Virginia gun laws affecting you?
I'm afraid to take a gun into Virginia now. I'll have to find a range in North Carolina where I can meet my son-in-law to shoot with him.
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 08-30-2020, 10:24 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Hey Jim!
What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though
-
That's the problem, they live in Northern Virginia. But they have bought a house in NC, they just haven't moved yet. There is a range ten minutes from the house in NC.

As far as what I'm going to shoot with him, I don't think he has ever fired a gun before. My daughter on the other hand was the captain of her high school rifle team and has hunted deer. She wants me to introduce him to shooting.

So...here is what I have in mind...and you will understand why I don't want to take the guns to Northern Virginia!!!

45 Colt Cowboy Loads in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
45 Colt hunting loads (44 magnum level) in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley
44 S&W Special HP defense load in a Charter Bulldog Target Model (4" barrel, adjustable sights)
45 ACP in a Colt Government Model
9mm in a CZ 75
22 LR in a Browning Buckmark
30-30 in a Winchester 94
6.5x55 in a sporterized Czech VZ 24 Mauser
223 in a Mini 14
45-70 in a Browning High Wall

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 08-30-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:47 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Welcome Back old friend. I dont get to do my Duty on here here as much as I used to.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:25 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
Welcome Back old friend. I dont get to do my Duty on here here as much as I used to.

Welcome back!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:22 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Welcome back
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-31-2020, 08:55 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Welcome back
Heya Pig!

It's good to virtually hear your voice again. I hope you and family are doing well and staying healthy.

-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 08-31-2020, 09:01 AM
COTEP Member

Default Northern Virginia

Jim,

There doesn't seem to be anything Virginia would consider illegal in there, but maybe bringing one or two at a time would be best so you don't seem like some crazed wacko with an arsenal

When are they planning on moving and when you visit, where will you be driving from? I live right in the SE corner of Virginia, where you could pretty near throw a rock over the NC border (hint, hint). Where in NC did they buy?

Feel free to take this private or drop it entirely if you want to keep such info private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
That's the problem, they live in Northern Virginia. But they have bought a house in NC, they just haven't moved yet. There is a range ten minutes from the house in NC.

As far as what I'm going to shoot with him, I don't think he has ever fired a gun before. My daughter on the other hand was the captain of her high school rifle team and has hunted deer. She wants me to introduce him to shooting.

So...here is what I have in mind...and you will understand why I don't want to take the guns to Northern Virginia!!!

45 Colt Cowboy Loads in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
45 Colt hunting loads (44 magnum level) in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley
44 S&W Special HP defense load in a Charter Bulldog Target Model (4" barrel, adjustable sights)
45 ACP in a Colt Government Model
9mm in a CZ 75
22 LR in a Browning Buckmark
30-30 in a Winchester 94
6.5x55 in a sporterized Czech VZ 24 Mauser
223 in a Mini 14
45-70 in a Browning High Wall
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 08-31-2020, 09:04 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

welcome back!