COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default My Dan Wesson CCO

Last summer at a family get together slash shoot out. I got bit by the 1911 for carry bug. After months of research and trips to gun stores and sorting through the BS on the internet I came to the conclusion that the Dan Wesson CCO was the perfect pistol. I had made a list of what I wanted in a gun and this one was a better match. I had it narrowed down to a Kimber Compact CDP 4in barrel, Springfield Ultra Compact 3.5in barrel, and the CCO with 4.25in barrel. All with officer frames. But the finish on the DW won out. So I saved up and mailed my money to Severns Custom back in Feb and picked it up last night. Dave and Deb are great people highly recommend them!

Yesterday morning I get home and strip in down to parts, clean and inspect every piece. I am highly impressed with the quality and fit of the internals. The trigger has no play up or down and very minimal side to side. The Grip safety fits perfectly in the frame and well blended into the tangs. Ejector and extractor both sit flush to the slide which sits flush to the fame. The MSH is flush all the way around and the round butt feels good with out sacrifice to grip and doesn't jab your palm. I can't feel any movement in the barrel. The bushing is still tight and still needs the wrench to move all the way over to remove the plug. The hole to remove the slide stop is also perfectly trimmed to be the same size as the slide stop. Wish it could have been a bit bigger to leave room for error but I guess its just not going to fall off either. The thumb safety has a very positive click on and off. Easy to click off but takes both thumbs to click back to safe. After 100 rounds this did loosen up a bit not so much force is needed to reapply safe.The date the shell casing collected 6/1/2011

Waited for it to cool down to 100 degrees then hit the range. Applied some supplied oil to the rails and the barrel. I had the two Checkmate mags as well as 2 Wilson mags. First two mags were Checkmates.

No problems, except on my part. The trigger is smooth and crisp. The next 2 mags were the Wilson and each one on the 6th round looked like it got caught on something because it did not fully cycle and the new shell was almost in the chamber. I dropped the mag and the slide finished cycling the round in the chamber. Only happened the one time with each mag then didn't happen again. So after 100 rounds of WWB 230gr no problems with feeding from the gun or supplied mags. The gun does have a little more pop than I'm used to/was expecting. But then again I have been shooting reloads through a full size steel frame gun for the past year.

It was even hitting steel plates at approx 30 yards. Over all very pleased with this purchase. I only have two complaints the grips look nice but aren't very grippy thats an easy fix though. The other is the bump on the grip safety, left my hand a little sore in that one spot. But this gun will be a perfect carry gun once I put a few more hundred rounds down range. Highly recommend the CCO, and now dirty gun pictures...

Cotep #464

Just living life and appreciating every day
Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Thanks for the great review and pics. That CCO will just keep growing on you
Old 06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks for the report on your CCO! I feel mine is completely pertfect and the trigger is definitely perfect!

Is the thumb safety hard to take off safe?? I wonder if you talk to Dave if he would have any imput on this problem. Mine is very smooth either direction.

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

The safety has worked to an excellent state very positive on and off and now doable one handed. I'm excited to see how she'll turn out with more rounds down range
Cotep #464

Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

It will loosen up with more shooting, just give it time Mike
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thats great! They do take a little break-in. Whiile others just "break"!

So explain to me why the CCO feels so much better than anyother pistol out there. No Really!!!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedragonslayer View Post
Thats great! They do take a little break-in. Whiile others just "break"!

So explain to me why the CCO feels so much better than anyother pistol out there. No Really!!!

Well for me I have Med large hands which is about the Max the grip will allow comfortably so officer frame works for me. Never really liked checkering so the texture on the front strap has positive grip while not a pain. Commander length is a perfect balance for size and weight. Some new grips and more time it will be the perfect extension of my hand. I want to line it up just a little high when I point. Plan on running another 100 rds tomorrow.
Cotep #464

Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Made it back to the range. And I accidently ran the HP through it earlier than I had planned. Since I ordered it I picked up 100 rd packs as I could find them, one trip I pick up Federal I believe. Didn't think anything of throw them in my bag since last outing was WWB wanted to try different brand. Well I open them up and have 100rds of HP. Im a good 45min from home and Walmart didnt have WWB in today I already checked. So I load up a mag and no problems. OK I'll get you to jam one handed fast fire not a thing. So I proceeded to shoot 100rd of 230 JHP with out a hiccup or hitch. It was a pleasant surprise. Got a few more WWB and A box or two of carry ammo just need my Leather and Ill be all set to carry this beast. Its already giving my ideas of a matching VBOB.
Cotep #464

Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWhit33 View Post
Made it back to the range. And I accidently ran the HP through it earlier than I had planned. Since I ordered it I picked up 100 rd packs as I could find them, one trip I pick up Federal I believe. Didn't think anything of throw them in my bag since last outing was WWB wanted to try different brand. Well I open them up and have 100rds of HP. Im a good 45min from home and Walmart didnt have WWB in today I already checked. So I load up a mag and no problems. OK I'll get you to jam one handed fast fire not a thing. So I proceeded to shoot 100rd of 230 JHP with out a hiccup or hitch. It was a pleasant surprise. Got a few more WWB and A box or two of carry ammo just need my Leather and Ill be all set to carry this beast. Its already giving my ideas of a matching VBOB.

Congrats I love my CCO (and my other DW's) but the CCO is just perfection, I installed some slim line grips and I am also waiting on some Leather. Actually a nice IWB COTEP holster from Lasco Leather.I just ordered the holster 1 to 2 weeks ago so I still have a while to wait but I can't wait to get it and start carrying my CCO every day comfortably.

I can tell you the VBOB is excellent as well but I got mine in stainless but now I really, really wish I paid the extra cash on the black duty finish version. They are top notch.

Anyways congrats and thanks for the post.

-Ryan S
2010 DW SS RZ-45 Heritage, 2011 DW SS Valor Bobtail (V-BOB), 2010 DW CCO, 2012 DW ECO, Sig Sauer P238 SAS edition, Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion (5in barrel), Kahr P380, ,Kahr PM9->Black Diamond coat-Night sights, Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, LMT308MWS, and a FN SCAR 17 "Heavy".
COTEP # CCO0488
God Bless Our Troops
Old 07-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Congrats Cal! Thanks for the write up :-). I cant wait to score a DW someday
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri