COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 PM
COTEP Member

For home defense we have an old stevens side by side sawed off to 18.5 inches and loaded with #4 buck. should stop any bad people
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
First of let me address the part I highlighted. You're not being argumentative at all and I'm sorry if I come across that way. Not my intention. I just now purposely switched to my lap top (as opposed to my Ipad) to make sure I typed correctly. This is one of those conversation we would enjoy having with our favorites drinks (milk for you and whiskey for me ) and a cigar.
Anyway, if I would were to use a shotgun for defense in a home invasion there would be no "warning." There would be some lead going on target.
Again, that supports my argument (discussion) in that different scenarios call for different tactics.
And to support your argument (discussion) I know all the visual and auditory cues are not always going to work out in the street as well, especially if I'm dealing with an EDP or someone high on something. Then, my tactics will have to change.
Not everything works for everything, but not all tactics are useless either.

EDIT: Let me add that I love these type of discussions. I'm dealing here with adults of varying experience. Trust me when I tell you guys I learn a lot from you guys. You should see some of the other forums I used to visit. I gave up trying to deal with them.

EDIT #2: I also forgot to mention my home shotgun is a Benelli M1 Super 90. So racking the slide is a moot point.
I love these discussions too! There is a BIG difference between this forum and others. Here we can have a drink(whiskey for me too, plz) and put out different scenarios. I dislike the other places where the "I know it all and your opinion doesn't count" is the general attitude. Yup, I get it, saw what you saw on other forums. Plus we have here, he has seen the same and is darn good at keeping COTEP life in line.
I do think you will find most people won't depend on anything visual or vocal in a SD situation. But, with you being an LEO, your situations have alot more variables. I have me and two young sons, a young daughter and a wife who shoots a little. In a parking lot they will go low and scatter, we have key words. At home the boys have shotties and gather the others in a safe room, call 911, while I keep the only access to that room clear with an M1A/1911 combo. Creeps against a family is the same as "I don't care about your life and I know you are sh*t scared, against a family". "cept I ain't sh*t scared.

In a parking lot you have a marked car, uniform(two very effective tools), and maybe backup. The possibilities of the "scaredness" being reversed on to the BG's shoulders are endless. More then likely they will try to escape, knowiing you have firepower and they will end up in the big house. In my case they have little to fear until I start shooting and moving, then they will wake up.

So, we have two different lifestyles. But in the dark, in the middle of the night, at your house, the window breaks, your eyes clear and you see the silhouette(s) standing/moving in the living room, we become the same person. Light that Benelli up and ask questions later. I love the Castle Doctrine.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

That is why I like this forum. We can have a discussion, and we all know that not everyone agrees with what someone else might but we do not get to the name calling and bickering as on other forums. You all know what I mean!!!

Another thing we an kid around and most of the time it is not taken seriously as we are all one big happy family here!!!

You also .............you ole bat!!!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
That is why I like this forum. We can have a discussion, and we all know that not everyone agrees with what someone else might but we do not get to the name calling and bickering as on other forums. You all know what I mean!!!

Another thing we an kid around and most of the time it is not taken seriously as we are all one big happy family here!!!

You also .............you ole bat!!!!!
+1000!!!!!(half that pertaining to )

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
+1000!!!!!(half that pertaining to )
We tease the old man but he is a great guy. I had the privilege of having him over to my house a few times when he still lived in Virginia!!! He will give you the shirt off his back if you need it!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM
COTEP Member

I like a forum where you can joke around and not have someone get upset at the joke. The other forum I am on can be like walking on egg shells at times.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
I like a forum where you can joke around and not have someone get upset at the joke. The other forum I am on can be like walking on egg shells at times.
Or broken glass
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Or broken glass

When I, ahem, left the other forum, you know, via a personal visa from the management, it was like walking on shards of glass with no shoes on.
Still have not looked in, not even for one second.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Back on topic some people.

So Dave, when is the range report?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Here we can have a drink(whiskey for me too, plz) ...
Gosh darn it! See what happens when I assume. My apologies. First round of single malt is on me.
Quote:
I love the Castle Doctrine.
Me too. Unfortunately, I'll never see in this state.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.