COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Location: Belgium , In Flanders Fields where the poppies blow
Default Springfield Armory M1a?

Does anybody here own an M1a?

Thinking about filing for a permit for one of those.
Unfortunately , no chance of test firing one before i put my money down.
I have to order it, it's not like they are on the shelf here in the gunshops.

I would be using it mainly for iron sight at 100 meter, no longer ranges available around here.
But obviously if i feel like it, i could go a bit further, and maybe then i'de use a scope.. but that would not be the primary use for this rifle. 100 meters.
I'de like a full size barrel, no shortened Socom16 stuff.

Is it worth the extra cash to get the national Match, vs the Standard?(keeping in mind that any price difference in the US, will probably be times 1.5 by the time it get's to me).

Any pro's and con's to a wooden stock or fiberglass?

SA's website lists them as caliber 7.62x51 NATO (308Win), but what is their true , natural caliber? Are they specc'd to NATO or 308WIN?
Any other advice
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've got one, and also have no desire for one of the shortened versions.

In my humble opinion, unless it will solely be used in long range competition, the NM version is a complete waste of money. All the excess weight in the stock turns a rifle with nice balance (but not as nice as an M1) and heft into what feels not overly different from my 7.62 AR with a 12" quad rail and 20" medium weight barrel. That is not a compliment.

I get 1 1/2" groups with NM irons with the load I use for my 7.62mm AR, so I didn't even work up a handload for it. If I scoped it, the load may give me 3/4" to 1", but it's not a precision rifle....it's a battle rifle so that's the way it's gonna stay.

A fiberglass stock will be more stable in different humidity and rain conditions, but again in my opinion, all M1As should have Walnut stocks.

The barrels are chambered to true 7.62X51 NATO specs. I think they list it as they do to show people that it's safe to fire 308 Winchester ammo in them.

If you want one, I say get it. I've wanted one for a long time, but not necessarily a new one without mil-spec parts. I finally came across one a few months ago in a non local guns shop while just wasting time. Lucky me.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
All the excess weight in the stock turns a rifle with nice balance (but not as nice as an M1) and heft into what feels not overly different from my 7.62 AR with a 12" quad rail and 20" medium weight barrel. That is not a compliment.
Thx for the feedback, but can you clarify : You mean the National Match has a heavier stock?

I kinda agree on the fiberglass stock, Walnut does look better.
How about glass bedding, how does that effect maintenance?
Does Glass bedding mean you gotta leave it in there, or loose accuracy when reassembling?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

The actual stock of the National Match may indeed weigh the same as that of their standard or loaded, but the action is glass bedded into it, which does add some weight. The Super Match has a maximum dimension oversized stock that in addition to being heavier doesn't actually "feel" right to me.

I didn't even get into the whole glass bedding topic, and you are absolutely right. As the action is removed and re-installed into the stock, there is the potential for the bedding to be damaged. I don't know how likely this is to occur, or how many times it can be done before actual damage is likely to occur, which reduces the tightness of the lockup, therefore eliminating the benefit of the bedding. The general rule is to only remove the action when absolutely necessary, and preferably never.

Their loaded models come with a medium weight "national match" barrel, though I'm not sure of the actual quality of it. The website also says it includes a NM front sight, but not rear, and a national match trigger assembly (really not sure what this one means).

If I were to buy a new one today, it'd be a standard model with Walnut stock and standard GI profile barrel. I can always replace sights and all other internal components with mil-spec or upgraded parts myself.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I just recently bought the "loaded" model. I'm still waiting for a shipment of ball ammo to come in so's I kin shoot her.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Which one did ya get? Stock, barrel?
Don't be to shy to post a pic
It'll be a while till I get my permit, I depend on everybody here to keep me motivated
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I got a photo of her under the thread: There She Was http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=844
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've been at the 100 meter range at the club, with a Russian single shot .22 rifle i borrowed from the club.. and it jus won't do..i mean, i can lay down some decent groups with the diopter, but no scope, no recoil, i need moaaaaaar.

And it just happens, by coincidence, that i found who imports them M1a around here. Last week i went to see a gunshop in Holland, a competition shooter who sells LSWC .45 bullets and reload gear.. turns out he's he one who imports the M1a as well..

And he happens to be looking at importing about 15 of them in a couple of months. Not sure what he will have because apparently it's really difficult to get an export license in the US for guns like that, but he's working on it and i'm on the list to get one of that batch..

So i've started up the paperwork and what not at the Governers office, to get the permit. And now the wait begins...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Sent my request for permit to the authorothaaaaaaays.

Because my previous permit request was submitted less then 6 months ago (21st of june 2011, just in time), i should get waivers on certain formalities like medical certification that i'm fit and sane enough to handle weapons. Not that it's a biggie, go to your MD and say "write me a letter that i'm ok with guns", the MD might look up , frown and then he goes , "owwwkay then" and write the letter.

Figured i'de not wait to long, because there has been a mad gunman just before X-mas (well not so much guns as handgrenades), and chithead politicians already yapping about stricter regulations... I'm thinking, get one while i still can, to have is one thing, to give it back up is a another thing altogether
Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Hey, good luck with your quest. It's a great rifle.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer