COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
I'm an old bolt gun fart

I'll roll with the old fart part....

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttbbob View Post
only 1400.00 retail, you will prolly be able to pick one up at 1000.00-1100.00
YES, you are right but if you have to install a proper optic on thing you are looking at an easy $5-700 minimum maybe?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
YES, you are right but if you have to install a proper optic on thing you are looking at an easy $5-700 minimum maybe?
maybe more depending on your taste in glass........

But a custom long range gun will cost 3000-6000.......
- Samuel Adams
Old 07-20-2015, 11:54 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Heck yeah, I'm interested! I like Ruger, some don't. ....I do. For $1100 street price and all that modularity. ...can't beat it. I predict it will be very successful and others will follow suit.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
Heck yeah, I'm interested! I like Ruger, some don't. ....I do. For $1100 street price and all that modularity. ...can't beat it. I predict it will be very successful and others will follow suit.
I thought so too....A gun that shoots under 1 MOA outta the box. Modular and is affordable for a long range gun. Whats not to like? It will be a hit.

did you get that Mueller scope and use it yet?
- Samuel Adams
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 AM
COTEP Member

gotta save up some dough

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:38 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

A fellow was buying the last one H&H had, when I was there buying some guns. He paid about 1k.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttbbob View Post
I thought so too....A gun that shoots under 1 MOA outta the box. Modular and is affordable for a long range gun. Whats not to like? It will be a hit.

did you get that Mueller scope and use it yet?
I did and I have roughly 60rds through it. It's a nice scope for the money. Although, mine might of slipped through GC. First issue out of the box was the wrong turret cap on the elevation (it shipped with two windage caps installed). That was taken care of quickly after placing a call. Reading all the reviews for this scope, everyone (mostly ) said the clicks were tactile and audible (one review said it was too audible). Not the case with mine, the clicks are a bit mushy with a somewhat muted click. Also, there is a lot of slop in between the clicks. If you are not super careful, you will easily do two clicks when only wanting one. But, this might just be nit picky stuff so I progress. I got it mounted up, leveled, and zeroed. The glass clarity for the price is Excellent. The AO works great as well as the fast focus eye piece. The power ring (for lack of proper terminology ) felt very smooth but, way to easy to adjust ( 1 pinky adjustments ). This is an issue. As you know, the ranging is done at 10x. Well, after every shot, the power ring moved up closer and closer to 14x. Not a big deal for just playing around but, it will through you way off if you are trying to use the reticle for ranging. I tried tightening the small screw on the ring with no success. I think another call to Mueller is at hand. My Vortex Viper HS-T finally showed up at my door after being on back order for two months so, I mounted that sukka up to the 700. I will try the Mueller again on my .223 build once it's finished. This is just my experience with it so far. Got to honest, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about it at this point.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 AM
COTEP Member

I have these exact scopes on my rental guns for my precision course. I am sorry you have had this experience. Mine has not been that or I would not have recommended them. My biggest gripe has always been the turrents were mushy and a little sloppy. But that is, to me, expected from a scope in that price point. Big difference in price between the Vortex and Mueller... If I was not happy with that scope, call Rich at Mueller and tell him your problems. I assure you, he will make things right.....
- Samuel Adams
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 PM
COTEP Member

Yep....it's expected to have issues on any mass production product. I can see the potential and value of the Mueller APT. It is still a great scope for the money, surpasses a lot (if not all) of the other scopes in it's price range. I think I just got a bad one. I will contact them and I'm sure he will fix me up.

What I forgot to mention was that I tested the tracking and it failed there as well. Set up a target with inch squares out at 100yds. Took the first shot at zero hold. Then raised the turret to 5 moa and took a second shot. Should of been 5" straight up. Well, it hit 3"s up AND 2"s right. Wait what? My cross hairs where level, the target might be off but, not by that much. Also, I was using nato spec ammo that groups 1.5 to 2 moa from this rifle.

To be honest, it was not a fair test. Next time I'll level the target, level the scope , and use some match ammo. Then , it will be a fair box test.

More to come when I can test it some more.