COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here's an update. The BCM receiver extension, castle nut, and Magpul Miad arrived in the mail today.

The Superior Shooting Systems CS buffer and magazine springs have been ordered and are in the mail.

I just received an e-mail telling me that LMT shipped out the SOPMPOD.

I'm down to ordering an LPK and lower receiver, which I won't do till the barrel shows up.

Come on Bison.......you're holding up the show.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here's another update on my build:

UPS attempted to deliver the barrel last Friday while I was out of town on business. Looks like I'll work from home on Monday so I can receive it. It's a win-win to me.

I just ordered a 2 MOA Aimpoint CompML3 in a LaRue LT-129 cantilever mount that I'll use as the primary optic. I also ordered an LT-707 in-line mount for the Surefire 6P LED.

I plan to put the first rounds through it next weekend.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Look forward to seeing the range report!!

Very nice build!

noel

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I assembled the upper this evening. Everything went together without issues.

So far the only negative comment I can make is regarding the barrel's Gun Kote finish, which is already showing slight wear.

As this was only a $40 option to get around a shiny barrel it's just fine. Having this be the only negative aspect means I'm very happy so far.

If it gets looking too ratty, I'll just have Dave Hard Hat it. (just kidding.....maybe)

I should post an initial range report on Sunday.

Last edited by Grizzman; 07-14-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Man , that is a sharp looking rifle. I've only read a few articles on the 6.8 so I basically don't know anything serious about it but I bet you could make some hellacious watermelon splatter at 300 yards!

You've got good patience. I hate waiting for stuff to arrive. It takes me long enough to save up the cash to get stuff and then shipping time kills me. I'm waiting on my reloading set up from Brownell's and it's only been two days

By the way, my gas key hasn't come un-staked yet . Thanks again for letting me use it.

Take care.

Government name- Terry
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Nice, very nice! Was originally considering the LMT 6.8, but decided on their 308MWS which should arrive shortly.

Weapon: LMT308MWS x 2, Timney Trigger, WCI Titanium Muzzle Brake, LMT FDE Sopmod, FDE Ergo Grip, UTG Folding Billet Aluminum Forearm Grip, Magpul Pmag 20LR, Magpul FDE MS2 Multi Position Sling.

Scopes: Burris Eliminator Laserscope, Nightforce 5-22x50 NXS with Zerostop Turrets.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Very nice I can't wait for the final pics when you have it all complete.

I would love to do a build like yours some day but like Hoss I am Also a little impatient sometimes plus I still have a lot to learn. I have been looking into possibly getting a 6.8 Rem SPC upper for my Stag Arms model2. But for the prices I am seeing for a nice upper I could start saving and put that towards my own build or even another "OK" AR (I'm also looking into a 308 I sure would like an LMT308).

I've learned a lot just since I bought my Stag and am now trying to decide if I want to put more money into my Stag model 2 or start over with a better platform.
My Stag Arms model 2 is pretty much stock as far as internals. I have just added and replaced most of the basics with all MagPul MOE (I really want to float the barrel and put a nice free floating quad rail in and replace the front sight post with a low profile gas block so I can use flip up BUIS)

Let us know how you like that Aimpoint with LaRue mount. I am using a basic L3 EoTech 512 but I have been looking at others I might switch too when I get or build a new rifle. I do like EoTech's though I might just drop some money on the 3x or 4x magnifier with flip to side mount.

Anyways excellent build you have going on there. I am definitely jealous. I sure could learn a lot from you and of course the other members of the COTEP family.

Again very nice,

-Ryan S
2010 DW SS RZ-45 Heritage, 2011 DW SS Valor Bobtail (V-BOB), 2010 DW CCO, 2012 DW ECO, Sig Sauer P238 SAS edition, Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion (5in barrel), Kahr P380, ,Kahr PM9->Black Diamond coat-Night sights, Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, LMT308MWS, and a FN SCAR 17 "Heavy".
COTEP # CCO0488
God Bless Our Troops

Last edited by allrockabilly; 08-03-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here are some quick photos of the complete upper sitting on my old DPMS lower, with a mini comparison of the SOPMOD vs the E-Mod. Once I receive the Aimpoint, I'll take a few additional photos and will type up a review of it.

As I've also got a Vltor E-Mod, I'll compare the two against each other.

The cheekweld of the two stocks are both very similar (and very nice), and I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other. I'd heard of individuals complaining of the E-Mod grabbing facial hair, but since I don't have a beard I can't comment on that directly.

I prefer the storage compartments of the E-Mod over the SOPMOD. In order to access the battery storage of the SOPMOD, the stock must be removed from the extension. The lower compartment of the E-Mod is beneficial for lube, ear plugs, and other small items.

The E-Mod is a little longer in the recoil pad area, and the toe is curved downward which gives it a slightly different feel when shouldering it.

The one area where the SOPMOD is superior to the E-Mod is in the lockup department. In the 3rd position of the Vltor 5 position extension, the SOPMOD exhibits almost no movement. The SOPMOD stock on a BCM 6 position extension fits very snugly, to the point of significant effort being required to slide it from position to position. Once in position, almost no movement is noticed. The E-Mod stock moves more than the SOPMOD on both extensions, but it's not enough to cause any concern.

The length of the E-Mod is 7 3/4" along the top edge, and the SOPMOD is 7 3/8" in length. If you typically run your AR in more of a nose to charging handle position, the extra length of the E-Mod may be a small benefit.

I've very happy with both stocks and would have a hard time choosing one over the other. I may add side by side pics of both if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Grizzman; 07-14-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss in IL View Post
Man , that is a sharp looking rifle. I've only read a few articles on the 6.8 so I basically don't know anything serious about it but I bet you could make some hellacious watermelon splatter at 300 yards!
The 6.8 in a spec 2 chamber should be able to launch a .277 110 grain bullet at up to 2700 fps. This will deliver about 1250 foot lbs of energy at 200 yards, 1000 at 300, and 800 at 400 according, to my Sierra software......great splatter indeed!!

After I've put the first 100 rounds through the barrel, I'll start my load development, including chronoing the speeds I'm getting.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpawmark View Post
Nice, very nice! Was originally considering the LMT 6.8, but decided on their 308MWS which should arrive shortly.
Nice choice!!