COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I'm sorry, sir, but I'm going to wholehearted disagree. I know from first hand experience that it does work.
When I was assigned to this particular task force we were designated to hit certain "hot spots". So one of the strategies I came up with was to bring the shotgun. I had it fully loaded with one in the breach, but open. As soon as I got out of the car I closed it. Trust me when I tell you they knew the sound and I've preempted a lot of pursuits that way. What they didn't know was that I couldn't shoot them if they ran. We also preempted a lot of them from going to their guns in their waist and took a lot of illegal guns of the street. Thank God!
I also got the unofficial nickname of "Officer Shotty" for a short period.
It may have worked for you, there is no math to make me trust it. If there was that would be all you need, rack a shottie and the BG's give up or run. Thugs, as you know, tend to carry pistols and have little to no knowledge of shotguns. Out in the country of SC a shotgun is laughed at as a bird gun, mini 14's are behind car seats. Rack a shottie to scare someone and take a 30 round mag incoming. And they are not afraid. And they alter their guns( some with AK's) to full auto. You have the same in Camden, New Jersey. Rack one there and see the results. Hell, a home intruder can have hearing like mine, wouldn't even hear the gun racking. Or his heart pounding so hard he couldn't hear the gun racking. I don't try to stay alive by making scary sounds a BG might not even interpret. I stick with, if you want to scare a BG, shoot at them. Even then, their dis-respect for life, they might not care. I have been shot, I put my faith in bullets, not noises. That's just my world.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'm not condoning putting trust only in noises. It's like physical tactics. Certain things are going to work mostly on compliant and semi-compliant people. I knew going in that was the case where the racking worked. It's a strategy I managed to successfully use. But I was also prepared to use deadly force if necessary. I was dependent on that tactic alone.
But, to say something is never going to work well that's one dimensional thinking in my opinion. My issue is I don't believe in absolutes, not when it comes to self defense or what I call active tactics. What may work for one situation may not work for another.
Btw, while no one can deny Camden is a hell hole, I was raised in and continue to work in the 3rd most populated city in the State, Paterson. Camden just happens to get the better press.
Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I'm not condoning putting trust only in noises. It's like physical tactics. Certain things are going to work mostly on compliant and semi-compliant people. I knew going in that was the case where the racking worked. It's a strategy I managed to successfully use. But I was also prepared to use deadly force if necessary. I was dependent on that tactic alone.
But, to say something is never going to work well that's one dimensional thinking in my opinion. My issue is I don't believe in absolutes, not when it comes to self defense or what I call active tactics. What may work for one situation may not work for another.
Btw, while no one can deny Camden is a hell hole, I was raised in and continue to work in the 3rd most populated city in the State, Paterson. Camden just happens to get the better press.
Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.
I think it is a good drift, Dave went the way of the shottie and we are staying on the shottie. You also have the "benefit", of LE vehicles, uniforms, maybe even vocal LEO's with you. I use "benefit" loosely yet carefully, harm's way is harm's way. But average people basically self urinate when they see the cherries on a LEO vehicle, or hear the authoritave voice of an experienced LEO. The racking of a shottie could be anyone slamming a car door, LEO's have visuals that speak volumes. Let's try a home invasion, no LEO's involved. Would your experience say that racking a shottie is going to spook (probably multiples) in a residential home invasion? I am not being argumantative, this is a need for experienced knowledge.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I think it is a good drift, Dave went the way of the shottie and we are staying on the shottie. You also have the "benefit", of LE vehicles, uniforms, maybe even vocal LEO's with you. I use "benefit" loosely yet carefully, harm's way is harm's way. But average people basically self urinate when they see the cherries on a LEO vehicle, or hear the authoritave voice of an experienced LEO. The racking of a shottie could be anyone slamming a car door, LEO's have visuals that speak volumes. Let's try a home invasion, no LEO's involved. Would your experience say that racking a shottie is going to spook (probably multiples) in a residential home invasion? I am not being argumantative, this is a need for experienced knowledge.
First of let me address the part I highlighted. You're not being argumentative at all and I'm sorry if I come across that way. Not my intention. I just now purposely switched to my lap top (as opposed to my Ipad) to make sure I typed correctly. This is one of those conversation we would enjoy having with our favorites drinks (milk for you and whiskey for me ) and a cigar.
Anyway, if I would were to use a shotgun for defense in a home invasion there would be no "warning." There would be some lead going on target.
Again, that supports my argument (discussion) in that different scenarios call for different tactics.
And to support your argument (discussion) I know all the visual and auditory cues are not always going to work out in the street as well, especially if I'm dealing with an EDP or someone high on something. Then, my tactics will have to change.
Not everything works for everything, but not all tactics are useless either.

EDIT: Let me add that I love these type of discussions. I'm dealing here with adults of varying experience. Trust me when I tell you guys I learn a lot from you guys. You should see some of the other forums I used to visit. I gave up trying to deal with them.

EDIT #2: I also forgot to mention my home shotgun is a Benelli M1 Super 90. So racking the slide is a moot point.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 05-05-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Racking the slide may not stop an intrusion, but it accomplishes one thing: loads a round in the chamber.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Gentlemen, as for racking the slide. I don't. I want what I have for somebody breaking into my home to their last total surprise. We have a good 'Castle-Law' in Ohio, I don't even have to see a gun. I also have training in the offensive 'Non-Lethal' use of the shotgun should I be so predisposed.

This is not, by any means, my first dance with a shotgun.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Man........I thought I was on the 1911 forum after reading this thread!!!!!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
Man........I thought I was on the 1911 forum after reading this thread!!!!!!!
No, because then someone would of said the 500's have mim parts and that's why you should not rack the slide.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Now that is s good one .

Or they would have compared it to a Ferrari and a Volkswagen!!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
Now that is s good one .

Or they would have compared it to a Ferrari and a Volkswagen!!!!
True.