COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Competition Shooting

Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 PM
COTEP Member

That is kind of you sir and very generous. Thank you. Do you load your competition ammo? I have never been involved with competitive shooting so I am curious about the accuracy of various brands of factory ammo and the tricks that folks loading their own use to improve accuracy and how that all relates to the self defense aspect of getting a first and especially follow up shots on target quickly. From the outside looking in it seems that your type of shooting sport relates directly to real world self defense. Also, my main problem anymore is sight picture. Bifocals and focus length are driving me crazy. Any tricks or compensators you might share? Thank you for your insights. Dennis
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

To answer your questions, Yes, I do load all my own ammo.
I do this because my competition guns are set up with light trigger pulls and I have created a load to work with each of my competition guns.
For this gun which is a 9mm I use a 130g Berry's plated bullet with 3.7g of 231 powder and Federal primers (ONLY). These primers are soft and my guns are set to these primers.
As far as sights go, I also wear progressive glasses and my shooting glasses are made by Decote with an additional +.75 in the right eye. All of my competition OPEN guns are set with red dot sights except for this one which has a Eotech XPS2.0 sight. Very easy to see with both eyes open, will work on a rifle,or competition shotgun. (But it is $680/List). You can find it for a little less depending on where you look.
My red dots are C-More sights and on my Glocks and the Glocks that I build for shooters, I like to use Burris Fast Fire or Doctor Red Dots.
Any other question , just fire away