COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 PM
COTEP Member

Default How does Made in the USA affect your firearms purchases?

Most members of these type of forums tend to want to promote American jobs and businesses. However when it comes to firearms I see Croatia, Austria, France, Spain, Germany, Communist Bloc, Brazil, South America and a whole host of other countries on our hips. Like all things made today sometimes there is a mix of countries making parts, assembly, and distribution so it really is not so clear cut. Then you also have brands located and manufacturing in the US but the parent company is foreign so US dollars are flowing overseas but jobs are here. I also know that at the end of the day, quality and reliability are a universal language and whatever we feel comfortable carrying is what you will carry no matter where it came from. So i am just curious how Made in the USA effect your firearms Most members of these type of forums tend to want to promote American jobs and businesses. However when it comes to firearms I see Croatia, Austria, France, Spain, Germany, Communist Bloc, Brazil, South America and a whole host of other countries on our hips. Like all things made today sometimes there is a mix of countries making parts, assembly, and distribution so it really is not so clear cut. Then you also have brands located and manufacturing in the US but the parent company is foreign so US dollars are flowing overseas but jobs are here. I also know that at the end of the day, quality and reliability are a universal language and whatever we feel comfortable carrying is what you will carry no matter where it came from. So i am just curious how Made in the USA effect your firearms purchases?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gatorade For This Useful Post:
Caleb (01-24-2015), dw1911 (01-24-2015), milkmanjoe (01-25-2015), TLE2 (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Dan Wesson is owned by a Czech company.

Just saying...

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

No. The point of collecting guns is to get different types from different countries.

Yes. What I carry is made in the USA. Do I look down upon someone with a CZ? No.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 01-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

I have a Smith J frame circa late 60's my dad left me. I have the Kimber, and the Wilson, which was born in Arkansas. I have my great uncles 1960 Model 94 in 32 Win Spl, a Remington 870, .22's made by Marlin and Winchester....

see a pattern?
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
I have a Smith J frame circa late 60's my dad left me. I have the Kimber, and the Wilson, which was born in Arkansas. I have my great uncles 1960 Model 94 in 32 Win Spl, a Remington 870, .22's made by Marlin and Winchester....

see a pattern?
The Winchester I have is Miroku made in Japan. I have often wondered why they don't make them in the US anymore.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 PM
COTEP Member

Reliability and durability for ccw, that's my primary concern and decision making factor hence Austria on my hip. But I did own fully American made Keltec at one point, not anymore.

From a collector's point of view... diversity!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:55 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Dan Wesson is owned by a Czech company.

Just saying...

True! However, the 1911's and revolvers made by Dan Wesson in Norwich New York are all made 100% by Americans! American Made by a Company owned in Czech
Personally I like the idea, and definitely the guns they make so well!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I like all manufacturers of firearms one way or another so, no. For ccw I will go with what works, does not matter who makes it. Would I like to only support US companies? Absolutely! But, I just like too many different guns. Ruger used to be on my hip, today good old Texas iron resides there in form of a STI.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
The Winchester I have is Miroku made in Japan. I have often wondered why they don't make them in the US anymore.
I have black and white pics of the rifle, a station wagon, an elk and Uncle George, taken in Montana. He said the shot was around 400 yards, and he was never known to lie
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-25-2015, 06:13 AM
COTEP Member

I like Springfield Armory 1911's. However, many people don't know their frames come from Brazil. Springfield's are not Made in the USA. Some companies boast Made in the USA. However, what they should say is "assembled in the USA". One reason I like the PTR rifles now. The company is now making almost the whole rifle, in house, in South Carolina.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!