COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Other Semiauto Pistols

Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default After looking at 45ACPs after owning Ed Brown

1911's and realizing for my honest needs and use, it was way too much gun. I sold it and I am now looking to buy either a Glock 21 SF or S&W M&P 45ACP full size and maybe buy the Glock or the M&P with a laser or add one to the guide rod area. I do not have a range or dealer where I can go shoot so please guys don't suggest that, I simply don't have that luxury. I have only handled the Glock 21 not the SF version and I am not even sure what the difference is? I have held my wife's pea shooter...LOL 9MM and like the different size back straps but never the full size 45ACP which is what I want. Not interested in anything but the 45ACP caliber. If anyone could lend some helpful suggestions to what I am looking for after having or currently having these two guns and actually shooting them. It would help me greatly as again, I will be buying one of these two guns on what I can gather from input from this forum and folks that have experience with them. Please guys, if you don't or have not owned or used theses guns, it will not help me for you to tell me what you think. I am only looking for feedback from those who again, have used and shot these guns listed above. Not trying to be a smartA, it just won't help me. I am NOT interested in anything else as I have owned Sig's, Beretta's , Bersa, Springfield, to name a few, and I am only interested in the two listed above. I had two Glock's and sold them both because they did not fit my big mits very well, but I got a chance to hold a Glock 21 at a distance gun show and it felt pretty substantial in my hand and unlike the smaller Glock 23 and it sub compact model I once owned and sold, I could actually get a good firm grip on it and control it. I am also interested to see what you guys think about guide rod lasers vs grip mounted Crimson Trace type lasers. Not really sure I want to go the rail mount type lasers. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by Shooter1103; 01-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I owned a Glock 21 and also a 30, both of course in .45 ACP. They went bang every time, and were fairly accurate and easy to clean. Notice I said "owned". They had the feel and soul of a brick, and almost impossible to conceal carry without a briefcase. The 21 was just HUGE, and I have big hands and carry a fullsize 1911 every day. But, if that's what you want and like, then get one. My only thought on lasers on weapons is just like flashlights on weapons..they can attract bullets from a bad guy as easy as send bullets INTO a bad guy..just my opinion, YMMV
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I currently own a G21SF. I will tell you that it goes bang every single time. The reason I purchased it was that I wanted to keep the manual of arms in the house as simple as possible, and Mrs was used to the G19. Would I buy it again? No, I wouldn't. It's thicker than my 1911's, and harder for me to conceal. (Just my honest opinion). Is it a quality weapon? YES. Is it accurate? Yes. Reliable? It's a Glock. Mind you... although I wouldn't buy one again... I'd be hard pressed to not take it with me in a true bug out situation.

All this said... no, mine's not for sale! (chuckling)
Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Shooter, besides what I PM'd you earlier, I'll add that I only have experience with Lasergrips on my pistols and on my wife's M&P. I like them.

Government name- Terry
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss in IL View Post
Shooter, besides what I PM'd you earlier, I'll add that I only have experience with Lasergrips on my pistols and on my wife's M&P. I like them.
Yeah, I'm on my 3rd 1911 with CT's, I'm pretty much sold on them also. Mike
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

well I have owned a few Glock 20's including a SF I personally couldn't tell the difference in size. The 20 Is the same size of the 21. I have been carrying mine for the past week no issues oh did you mention Crimson Trace?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I can't speak to the Glock question - I've never owned one. My nightstand gun is an XDm 9mm. It has a Streamlight light/laser combo on the rail that I'd highly recommend if you decide to go with something that is rail mounted.

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

I have a for the simple reason that they work well and if I am not home the wife can pick it up and just shoot no questions asked, no fumbling safteys, nothing to do but pull the trigger. I have a 23 that is ported and do like it, but not nearly as accurate at any of my 1911's and not a purdy either! Glad I own one but will only own the one....
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

The differences between the G21 and 21SF are small... but significant. The SF designation means "Slim Frame". The grip was made more compact by removing material from the backstrap area. If you put a 21 and a 21SF side by side, you'll easily notice that the hole on the bottom of the grip behind the mag port is smaller on the SF. It does help smaller handed shooters.

Second... Factory ambi mag release is on the SF only. The original 21 doesn't have it.

Third point.... and this one is germaine only to the 21SF, there are two types of rails that were built into the gun. Mine has the Pic rail, and there is also another type that I'm not familiar with. It's just a flat area with no serrations.

hope this helps in the decision.
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.

Last edited by DaFadda; 02-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have owned and shot the Glock 21. Would never want one again, but I do not have large hands. Glocks are not my cup to tea. It is what my department issues, however, so I shoot and carry a G23 on duty.

I own and love a M&P45c. It has the Apex sear and shoots like a dream. I love it. Have not qualified with it yet, so I do not carry it. Hopefully, will do so soon. Smith hurt themselves with LEO around here, only one department carries them anymore. My Sheriff is negative on them.