COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Blades

Old 08-26-2017, 08:40 AM
COTEP Member

So when buying a folding knife do any of you look at a utility knife different than a self defense knife? Would you use a knife chosen for self defense as a utility knife on a daily basis?
Old 08-26-2017, 08:59 AM
COTEP Member

Default EDC vs SD knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
So when buying a folding knife do any of you look at a utility knife different than a self defense knife? Would you use a knife chosen for self defense as a utility knife on a daily basis?

I don't. My utility knife is used for just about anything whereas my SD knife is only there for self defense.

Pedro, I guess it's an each there own thing with the Bowie. I've always liked long knives. I also see a Bowie like most consider a shotgun. The distinctive sound of racking a shotgun scares some people. The Bowie being pulled could do the same.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I use my ZT 350 knife to process food at work and although it looks like a hunk of Steel slicing little tomatoes, it's pretty effective at that. And of course it can be put to use in a defensive role in no time. I also carry a Victorinox Pioneer SAK with multi-tool purposes in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
Pedro, I guess it's an each there own thing with the Bowie. I've always liked long knives. I also see a Bowie like most consider a shotgun. The distinctive sound of racking a shotgun scares some people. The Bowie being pulled could do the same.
Absolutely right Andy, I never meant to disparage you for carrying your Bowie knife. I (ME) just simply don't understand the practice of doing so in an urban set up. And although I've heard to the contrary, I can't possibly imagine it's comfortable to have a 10-inch blade stuff down the side of your pants. I know it comes down to the sheath and I know Panther does a terrific job and this area.

That being said, I've seen your Covington's and Bagwell's and they are stunning, sharp as a scalpel, and truly masterpieces in their own right.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

My folder is for utility only. For self defense all my blades are fixed blades. I carry two in addition to the folder. I also carry a Swiss Army in my pocket.
Now, I'll address below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
But seriously, how many here are trained to use blades defensively? And if you did use it defensively how is that going to look to a prosecutor? Knife wounds (slashes and puncture wounds) are normally associated with criminal elements. If you can stab someone like that, especially with a 10 inch Bowie (really?) then you ought to shoot the bastard.
Very good thought process! And everyone must put themselves through this thought especially more so depending what state you live in.
Now on that note, my knives are defensive and I can articulate if I had to use them. For example, I carry a straight blade on my support side. If someone grabs my gun and is trying to disarm me I can draw and cut, stab, and defend the attempt. I also carry another one in strong side appendix carry.
I've learned through training and experience that sometimes a fight ensues before it becomes a deadly force situation and if I'm in the thick of it and grabbed there are times when it's nearly impossible to draw. The knives are to get to my gun. If it stops the threat, even better.
I guess it helps that I've written and testified in this state in the use of force and know what prosecutors like and don't like and what they look for.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
I use my ZT 350 knife to process food at work and although it looks like a hunk of Steel slicing little tomatoes, it's pretty effective at that. And of course it can be put to use in a defensive role in no time. I also carry a Victorinox Pioneer SAK with multi-tool purposes in mind.

Absolutely right Andy, I never meant to disparage you for carrying your Bowie knife. I (ME) just simply don't understand the practice of doing so in an urban set up. And although I've heard to the contrary, I can't possibly imagine it's comfortable to have a 10-inch blade stuff down the side of your pants. I know it comes down to the sheath and I know Panther does a terrific job and this area.

That being said, I've seen your Covington's and Bagwell's and they are stunning, sharp as a scalpel, and truly masterpieces in their own right.

I know, Pedro. I didn't take your comments as disparagement. Next time I'm up, I'll let you carry the Covington and show you the difference. The Commodore sheath allows the knife to float so it moves with your body. Once you learn the draw, you can have the knife deployed as fast as a gun (you saw Brownie draw the Bagwell).

I would agree with you. If you are going to carry a knife for self defense, get training. Using a knife for defense is much different than using a gun. It requires a different mindset.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 AM
COTEP Member

Two folders, both Spiderco Endura... 3 inches for utility and 4 for SD. A fix blade for SD on weak side, usually a spiderco street bowie...or something bigger. Days like these were utility can be needed for the fixed, leave the spiderco perrin home and take a more chunky knife.

Explanations? , isn't the same as explaning why you prefer 45 to 9 or 9 to 22 or an AR to a black powder one shot thingy... I carry a straight because it is more reliable in a fight than a folder. And a long one is better than a short blade. Don't believe that krap that size don't matter.

...from phone
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760