COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default New EDC is here!

Finally received my new pistol I plan to edc after I put a couple hundred rounds through it to make sure it goes bang every time.

Here is the thing..... I don’t carry a spare mag (maybe a bad thing but, I just don’t). I really do not like having to carry so many things in my pocket or belt, I just fee uncomfortable like that. Anywho, my current carry piece is a great little single stack by Walther (PPS M2) but, it only holds 8+1. That might be enough or it might not depending on the situation. So, I always feel “unprepared “ when I leave the house because I don’t carry that extra mag (I’ve tried in the past). Simple solution right.....carry a double stack. I’ve tried and it’s not comfortable for me. YMMV.

Then the Sig p365 comes out and my eyes light up. This is the one, I tell myself. Then, the reports come back that it has all kinds of issues. My heart sinks and I accept that I’m stuck with 8+1, blah. After a while Glock comes out with the G43X......a single stack subcompact pistol that holds 10+1. That’s more than what I got but, it’s a Glock (I don’t really care for them). So, I figure it’s not worth it to me to gear up with a new edc setup for two more rounds. A little time goes by and a company by the name of Shield Arms blows minds all over with their version of the Glock mag that holds...........take a breath.......15 freakin rounds! All in the same footprint as the OEM Glock mag. What?!? Wait, aftermarket mags usually are not as good as factory and usually have an unacceptable failure rate for carry. So, I wait for the reviews and tests and Bam! they are all positive (all the ones I’ve seen anyways) and these mags are the new bees knees. Now I’m sold!

The search begins then, Covid hits and the world goes crazy and buys all the freakin guns. Crap, can’t find a G43X in stock anywhere to save my life. So I wait patiently. Finally found one in stock at a really good price (below msrp) and order that puppy.

Time for a holster. I prefer leather for IWB carry so, I go to my usual leather company. Little Bear Customs. But, he seams to be closed or unresponsive to emails.....maybe because of the Covid shutdowns. So, I speak to AFJuvat and he recommends I try 1791 Gunleather Holsters. Found one that I like and ordered it, sooooo glad I did..... this holster is made by a true craftsman. Thanks for the suggestion bro!

I received the mags first then, the holster. The pistol took a week to ship and a few more days to arrive at my FFL. I picked it up on Friday and immediately started the break-in period by putting the pistol in a ziplock bag and holstering it. One night and it’s already breaking in nicely but, I’ll let it sit there for about a week.

Once I can get out to the range and make sure this thing fires the Federal HST hp rounds with absolutely no failures, I’ll start to carry it. I’ll put at least 2-300 rounds through it before that tho.

Sorry not sorry this post is a bit long winded but, I’m stoked (even with the fact that it’s a Glock). On to the pics!

Shield Arms mag on the left and Glock OEM on the right. Same exact size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlackKnight (05-23-2020), Rick McC. (05-23-2020), RKP (05-24-2020), sdmc530 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:03 PM
COTEP Member

That’s great, Bro!

There’s worse things than a ; like a taurus, or a jiminez, or a dose of the clap...

Seriously though; that’s pretty astounding about the mag! It’ll be interesting to see how it performs and holds up.

If the holster doesn’t break in acceptably; try wrapping the pistol in a few layers of waxed paper. Gary Brommeland recommended that when I got my first Brommeland Gunleather holster, and those bitches are tight when new!

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.

Last edited by Rick McC.; 05-23-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 PM
COTEP Member

Great advice, thank you. I checked it tonight and it looks like it’ll break in nicely soon. I’ll give it at least two days and check it again.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Atta boy !! Love that. The size of the 43X frame is awesome. Their standard double stacks sometimes even give my big mitts trouble at the range they are a bit bulky but the singles they produce are fantastic!

didn't know that about the mags...that is a great fined. Glock mags are kind of spendy. My next will be a 43X. Was looking at the baby 380 but your selection is much better for carry.

Nice job!!!
Old 05-24-2020, 07:19 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
, or a dose of the clap...

S

will be along to tell us about these symptoms…...

I love how the stock guns just work. Guys go putting this or that in or on it. Waist of money. I do usually change the take down release to a bit longer one because my fat fingers struggle pulling it down to release the slide but the rest, SOLID BLACk GOLD!

Last edited by sdmc530; 05-24-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:01 AM
COTEP Member

Yep, the stock config works just fine. Plus, on a carry pistol I don’t change much as far as action goes. I will change the sights (hate Glock sight picture) to my favorite trijicon HD with orange front and blacked out rear as soon as I have an extra $130 or so. Other than that, nothing else.....well maybe the back plate or like you mentioned an extended slide catch. I don’t mess with the trigger assembly, barrel, or slide on an edc. Ymmv

Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I put a brushed stainless steel on my 40cal long slide Glock because I wanted to match the slide from lone wolf. I actually prefer the all black back plate. I found for me anyway it draws attention away from my eye when aiming. But I am not very disciplined obviously.

Sights, yeah, I don't like stock sights hardly on any guns anymore. Night sights for me when I can!

I never mess with the trigger. Some people polish the parts of the trigger to "tune" it. I did this on my 10mm and found no change except it was shiny. No value, you would have to change out trigger to get a true trigger job. Not worth it at all. On a striker fired gun a trigger job is pointless IMO.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:21 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I put a brushed stainless steel on my 40cal long slide Glock because I wanted to match the slide from lone wolf. I actually prefer the all black back plate. I found for me anyway it draws attention away from my eye when aiming. But I am not very disciplined obviously.

Sights, yeah, I don't like stock sights hardly on any guns anymore. Night sights for me when I can!

I never mess with the trigger. Some people polish the parts of the trigger to "tune" it. I did this on my 10mm and found no change except it was shiny. No value, you would have to change out trigger to get a true trigger job. Not worth it at all. On a striker fired gun a trigger job is pointless IMO.
Not when it’s an M&P, and you’re using Apex parts.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:51 PM
COTEP Member

Very nice set up bud, congrats !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I’m a big Glock fan so you can’t go wrong, IMO.
I am now carrying my Glock 45 with the RMR as a primary. I do carry an extra magazines, light, knives, etc.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.