COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 05-24-2020, 04:51 PM
COTEP Member

Carrying without a reload is a bit risky if you ask me.

What if your pistol balks, and “slap-rack-bang” ends with no bang?

With single stacks I always carry two extra mags, and with hi-caps at least one.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Update: The holster is breaking in nicely, I can now remove the pistol with half the effort it took at first. I think another 24hrs and it’ll be time to remove the ziplock bag.

I’ve also ordered the metal mag release (recommended because the OEM is polymer and the mags are metal) to replace the polymer OEM one. I have also ordered my favorite sights to put on carry pistols (not that sights are needed). Trijicon HD night sights with orange front and blacked out rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-24-2020, 05:23 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post

With single stacks I always carry two extra mags, and with hi-caps at least one.
Yup. I even carry one for my turd slinger Shield .45
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Not when it’s an M&P, and you’re using Apex parts.

This^^^ Some guns can benefit from a good aftermarket trigger set.....M&P is a great example.

But, for me on a carry piece I will leave the OEM in tact. Just train to shoot it as proficient as I can.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:34 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:

I hear ya and I’ve tried.

If “slap-rack-bang” ends with no bang then, there is something seriously wrong that an extra mag can’t fix (unless that mag is empty).

I’ll have 15+1 on tap with this single stack. That’s the same amount I would have with my current edc plus an extra mag!

I do want to try a pocket mag holder I have seen online. Looks to be minimal and will hold your mag like you are carrying a pocket knife (which I always do). Then I’ll have 32 rounds on tap.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I will confess, I don't conceal carry with a spare mag either. I figure its going to work or not and the time it doesn't the time waisted ducking with it trying to clear and/or reload..that time wont matter and it would be too late. Maybe the wrong mindset but I feel like if you don't shoot first or soon after its probably going to be too late
Old 05-24-2020, 07:56 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I will confess, I don't conceal carry with a spare mag either. I figure its going to work or not and the time it doesn't the time waisted ducking with it trying to clear and/or reload..that time wont matter and it would be too late. Maybe the wrong mindset but I feel like if you don't shoot first or soon after its probably going to be too late
That’s if you’re lucky to have only one bad guy.
Here we have roving bandits. They’re cowards and only are tough when they’re in groups and/or armed. It’s not uncommon to get robbed or carjacked by three or more.

I’m always prepping for worse case scenario. In my truck I have an O S bag with 4 additional magazines for each of the guns I may have on my person, a ballistic plate, trauma kit, and other essentials. In most instances I won’t need to act or intervene, but you never know.
I guess I can’t easily erase 25 years of acting.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 05-24-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

, I am begging you MOVE.....another reason to not be there!
Old 05-24-2020, 08:50 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I hear ya and I’ve tried.

If “slap-rack-bang” ends with no bang then, there is something seriously wrong that an extra mag can’t fix (unless that mag is empty).

Not at all. Stripping out the first mag will clear out a double feed, or any of a number of other problems. Load a fresh mag and you’re back in business. Like most things; practicing the skills before you need them is important.

I’ll have 15+1 on tap with this single stack. That’s the same amount I would have with my current edc plus an extra mag!

I do want to try a pocket mag holder I have seen online. Looks to be minimal and will hold your mag like you are carrying a pocket knife (which I always do). Then I’ll have 32 rounds on tap.

You can buy a cheap folding knife case for a couple of bucks and make your own. I have several, which aren’t used much unless I wear jeans. My regular daily wear pants and shorts have two mag pouches sewed inside of each cargo pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
By the end of my wife's first weekend of training in Brownie’s TFP course; she was completing her reloads before the empty mag had hit the ground.

Again, advance training is the key to most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
That’s if you’re lucky to have only one bad guy.
Here we have roving bandits. They’re cowards and only are tough when they’re in groups and/or armed. It’s not uncommon to get robbed or carjacked by three or more.

I’m always prepping for worse case scenario. In my truck I have an O S bag with 4 additional magazines for each of the guns I may have on my person, a ballistic plate, trauma kit, and other essentials. In most instances I won’t need to act or intervene, but you never know.
I guess I can’t easily erase 25 years of acting.
That’s the damn truth! The majority of criminal encounters one hears of these days (and for several years now) involve multiple BGs. If I need to go through an area where such types are found; my EDC for that day will be an M&P9 loaded 17+1, and at least two 17 round reloads, plus an AR with a few 30 round reloads in the floor behind my passenger seat. A Mossberg Shockwave loaded with six rounds of #4 buck lives back there.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.

Last edited by Rick McC.; 05-24-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Yep. In my truck, I keep a get home bag with extra mags, knives, compass, rope saw, kwik clot and sticky pads for sucking chest wounds, along with pepper spray and tazer in the console, a baby Kbar Mike Lutz gave me, a Cold Steel City Stick, and a Shockwave loaded with 00 buck along with a reload
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523