COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 12-10-2019, 07:39 AM
COTEP Member

Late to the party. i dont remember reading the gas tube length or might have missed it.....Mid length gas systems have been recommended for some time to lessen recoil and wear on the BCG. Check the Geissele wound recoil spring as this also reduces recoil and take that annoying “ping” sound out of the butt stock....light weight ? Gunners profile barrels by Faxon and Bravo company offers shooter an overall lighter weight rifle with excellent accuracy for build. I went a bit further and got a pencil barrel which has worked well
Old 12-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Building Confidence

I've read some negative comments on M4Carbine.net about Sharps Rifle Company BCGs, with one individual stating that he's read of a bunch more. Considering the fully vetted nature of Colt, LMT, and BCM bolt carrier groups, I see no reason to stray from these for a serious build. They're readily available for around $180. They haven't been around as long as the above, but Sionics and Centurion both offer great BCGs, with Sionics units costing less than the others.

Geissele trigger groups are fully awesome, and I doubt you'll find many people that would disagree. Don't let the low price of the LaRue MBT-2S fool you into thinking it's not worth considering. I've got quite a few of them, and they compare very favorably against my SSA.

The easy buffer/spring answer is to get an H2 and Colt or Sprinco Blue spring. The Sprinco should greatly increase service life, but Colt springs are cheap enough to replace multiples before reaching the $22 price of the Sprinco. I may have read that Geissele's spring is only supposed to be used with their buffer.

A lot of people swear by the A5 system, and it does work smoothly. I've got more A5s than carbine receiver extension, and most of the carbines are part of 1st generation Magpul UBRs.

Today, BCM has just released their enhanced upper receiver. It's got thicker than standard walls for strength, differences in internal shape to modify gas flow (for suppressor usage), etc.

Since the release date wasn't known, or if they'd even be offered as a stripped receiver, I ordered a VLTOR MUR-1A late last week for a precision-ish 6.5 Grendel build, and it arrived today. I'm not going to finalize the upper assembly until a friend arrives for the holidays, but the machining and finish are definitely top tier.

Last edited by Grizzman; 12-10-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/ar15-tools/?utm_source=gunmagwarehouse&utm_campaign=b3e92d3d9 8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_12_30_07_39&utm_medium=email&u tm_term=0_0d355b7f6d-b3e92d3d98-424065977&goal=0_0d355b7f6d-b3e92d3d98-424065977&mc_cid=b3e92d3d98&mc_eid=bc07c9b816

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?p=169805#post169805
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I recently swapped a couple 308 AR barrels, which gave me a reason to use the Geissele Gas Block Roll Pin Tool. It made starting the roll pin extremely easy. I wish I'd purchased it years ago (if it was available before now).

Bending 1/16" punches is definitely something I do well, so I'll be getting their punch set at some point.

https://geissele.com/tools/gunsmithi...ock-tools.html
Old 01-05-2020, 05:29 PM
COTEP Member

Just checking in, have you made any progress on this project as of late, accumulating tools, parts, etc. There's been some good sales going on lately on barrels, lowers, uppers, triggers, misc. parts. etc ......
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:46 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Just checking in, have you made any progress on this project as of late, accumulating tools, parts, etc. There's been some good sales going on lately on barrels, lowers, uppers, triggers, misc. parts. etc ......

I will, towards the end of this month. I have to decide on whether or not (and it seems it will) cost more to to build than to wait it out and buy the LE6950 OEM2, if I can find one. Still, I think I will build. I really want to learn how to do this.

I'm now deciding between an Anderson and Geissele for the upper/lower pair. Geissele being rather expensive ($280) I'll will definitely pop for a Geissele trigger group, but I want to know if it's really worth popping for an upper/lower pair, or can I get one cheaper and just as reliable at Anderson. I had been pricing out some of the major parts and discovered that if I went with Geissele for them, I'd be approaching what I'd have to pay for an LE6920 OEM2 in today's prices. Still, the education in building one is priceless, and I don't have to spend it all "up front." I can take my time doing it. But I should get the upper/lower pair first.

A couple of questions from a previous post. I'm still uncertain as to how the following play in the design/construction of the rifle:

1) Buffers and buffer weights - How do they work and what size, etc. do you use? I gather it has something to do with the resistance in re: recoil, but...

2) Headspace - And how important is it to be accurate....

Thanks all!

A
Old 01-06-2020, 10:02 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

It’s going to be a personal preference to what you want for your first build. If you feel more confident with the more expensive upper/lower then, by all means buy that one. If you plan to resell your build once you are tired of it, you will get more buyers with the higher end components. Otherwise, buy the Anderson. They are made to Mil-Spec specs and the fit and finish are excellent. It’ll work just as good if not better than the units costing 3x the price. From my experience, I don’t feel the need to buy the higher stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
COTEP Member

Buffers..... Buy a standard mil-spec buffer and spring and you will be fine. If your rifle doesn’t cycle properly then, that’s where you need to troubleshoot why. Could be not enough gas or partially blocked gas port. Too heavy/light of a BCG. Ect...... the buffer would be the last thing I would check.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
COTEP Member

Headspace............ honestly, I’ve only checked one rifle. But, don’t do as I do....lol. Gauges are cheap and easily available so just go ahead and buy one. It’s super easy to check and to be honest 99% of the time your mil-spec parts will be within the proper headspace range.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 AM
COTEP Member

Any progress
COTEP #762