COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

The Advantage Arms 1911 22LR conversion kit is designed to fit any full size 1911-A1 frame made to U.S. Government mil-specs.

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
The Advantage Arms 1911 22LR conversion kit is designed to fit any full size 1911-A1 frame made to U.S. Government mil-specs.
That means it leaves out the ROCKS...............

Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
That means it leaves out the ROCKS...............

Play nice !!! No bashing like on the other 1911 forum!!!

knows not what he is saying Lord, please keep him safe anyway!!!!

They will indeed fit the RIA as shown in my post above!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

So I was reading quickly and thought we had a spat going here... its just a "cat fight."

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
And is AA's conversion better than Marvels?
Depends on what you mean when you say "Marvels". There is Marvels, and then there is Bob Marvel Customs. Bob started the Marvel company, and then sold it I believe, and started a new company, which is the latter. From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Bob actually takes the AA kits and tweaks them a little bit to sell as the Bob Marvel Custom kits. What he tweaks is unknown to me, but I would assume he makes the AA kits better. The reviews are always good for anything "Marvel" or "Bob Marvel". The thing that dissuaded me from going the Marvel route was the price (some kits over $600), and the lack of the slide lock on empty feature. I should say though, that I think some kits now have the slide lock feature, but it is not the standard in their lineup, and absent in the more accurate kit (Unit 1). They say a Marvel Unit 1 kit (the target kit) is a bullseye beast, though.

Jason
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_G View Post
Depends on what you mean when you say "Marvels". There is Marvels, and then there is Bob Marvel Customs. Bob started the Marvel company, and then sold it I believe, and started a new company, which is the latter. From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Bob actually takes the AA kits and tweaks them a little bit to sell as the Bob Marvel Custom kits. What he tweaks is unknown to me, but I would assume he makes the AA kits better. The reviews are always good for anything "Marvel" or "Bob Marvel". The thing that dissuaded me from going the Marvel route was the price (some kits over $600), and the lack of the slide lock on empty feature. I should say though, that I think some kits now have the slide lock feature, but it is not the standard in their lineup, and absent in the more accurate kit (Unit 1). They say a Marvel Unit 1 kit (the target kit) is a bullseye beast, though.

Jason
Hey what are the price differences Jason? (posting opportunity... helping you get rid of the MIMBER LOVER tag!!!!!)

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Another range trip today. 200 holes in the Zombie Target. Total cost was less than $10.

Total FTF count is now 4. I now have 4 mags and I did not get to let them sit loaded. Next time I will track the mags to see if the problem can be isolated to a particular mag.

The Target is a full size conversion. Should fit a commander or officer frame if you can handle the strange asthetics. I went with the commander length for this reason. But it is plenty accurate. The Zombie shows the result of at least 10X10 shot, faster than 2 second rapid fire bursts. I could cover the slow fire pattern with a silver dollar.

Did my Texas CHL Test yesterday with the .45; score was 242/250 (175 qualifies). Repeated the test with the .22 Conversion today for a 250/250. The .45 repeat got me a lousy 248/250.

Dred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332732666.565783.jpg (81.3 KB, 12 views)
COTEP #624

Last edited by Dred; 03-25-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Tapatalk chewed up my post ...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have a marvel unit 2.

I like it a lot. It functions well and is very accurate. Match ammo, makes a difference. the down side is i have to clean the frame every time. I would like to pick up a Norinco Gov model for a dedicated lower.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Hey what are the price differences Jason? (posting opportunity... helping you get rid of the MIMBER LOVER tag!!!!!)
The price difference is pretty substantial. The AA kit cost me $235 + shipping. Of course, there's no receiver with any brand of these kits, so no FFL transfer fee, and it's shipped right to your door, which is nice.
The Marvels that will lock back on empty, IIRC, start out about $460-ish for an aluminum slide (which is what the AA is) if you order from Marvel. Some retailers may have them a little cheaper. The all steel Marvel unit that locks back is upwards of $600 on their site. Again, retailers might have them cheaper, but I don't know how much cheaper.

I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing a Marvel, based on their reputation, and the fact that they support the 2A cause, but I don't have quite that much dough to sink into one. Everyone that has a Marvel seems to love theirs though.

Jason
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Founding Member
Mimber Lover

Thanks for the review and info. I will be looking into one of these.