COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Since none of the 22 conversions state that they will in fact fit my T-3, DW CCO or any of the CCO sized models where there's a Commander slide and Officer frame, I did more checking. To my surprise, Nighthawk has a Bob Marvel designed conversion that does fit the CCO/T3/Officer frame/Commander slide setup. Here's what I ordered (not backordered) http://www.nighthawktactical.com/22-...ion-units.html
This is the locked barrel, target version as shown.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Since none of the 22 conversions state that they will in fact fit my T-3, DW CCO or any of the CCO sized models where there's a Commander slide and Officer frame, I did more checking. To my surprise, Nighthawk has a Bob Marvel designed conversion that does fit the CCO/T3/Officer frame/Commander slide setup. Here's what I ordered (not backordered) http://www.nighthawktactical.com/22-...ion-units.html
This is the locked barrel, target version as shown.
The one in the link looks like it is the target Advanced Arms kit that dragonslayer posted. Bob Marvel tweaks them, and Nighthawk rebadges them. I think Wilson has or had a similar thing going as well.

Jason
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

You're probably correct! Advantage wouldn't commit to their Target model working on my commander slide guns or I'd have gone with them. All they would commit to, was it could be returned if it didn't fit. Plus they didn't have any in stock so it would have meant ordering through an on-line GS and possible gone thru the bs if it didn't fit. Apparently, the AA and NH versions of the mags will hold open the slide but wilson and some others won't from what I read.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I did have opportunity to call Advantage Arms regarding my conversion. The least of it is that I was not impressed. The slide required a little fitting, luckily I was at my LGS. Advantages response was Milspec 1911a1 only. Well happened that my LGS had just such a critter, and the interference was there, but nominally less.

This provided inspiration for a bit of file work. And everyone lives happily ever after.

Fwiw, the Wilson is a rebadged Ceiner (ala mimber conversion) with no last round hold open.
COTEP #624
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Advantage wouldn't commit to their Target model working on my commander slide guns or I'd have gone with them. All they would commit to, was it could be returned if it didn't fit.
Quote:
I did have opportunity to call Advantage Arms regarding my conversion. The least of it is that I was not impressed.
I've heard similar tales from other folks as well. Seems like the company line from AA is that the kits fit USGI spec rails, and it's your problem to figure out whether that's you or not. Not my idea of a great business model, either.

I'm sure you'll like the Nighthawk kit though. It ought to basically be a more refined version of the AA kit. I'd like to see some pics of it when it comes in. Maybe we can figure out what the extra bells and whistles are that Bob adds. Maybe he does some sort of reliability package or refinishing on them?

Quote:
Apparently, the AA and NH versions of the mags will hold open the slide but wilson and some others won't from what I read.
Yeah, I don't know much on the magazines. I have looked at the one I have, and it has a steel piece on the follower (sort of looks like a little clip of some kind) that engages the slidestop. I imagine there is no such piece on the followers of the other mags that don't lock back the slide.

Jason
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

another option.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/22...2lr-conversion
Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Those have gotten great reviews too. I thought that's what I wanted until I priced the magazines. I couldn't find a mag for less than $70. That was a deal breaker for me. It mightn't be for someone else though, and from what I hear, they are good solid kits.

Jason
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Same here, the mags being so pricey hurts that. I did read that gsg makes a metal mag for these conversions, but don't know about holding slide open after last rd fired. I went ahead and bought 2 xtra NH mags because they guaranteed them to keep slide open. All that being said, I have to tell you the Sales guy I talked with at NH was very pleasant was willing to assist any way he could, I wasn't rushed through the call, in fact we talked about my T3 and my likes/dislikes and what that gun cost today,. I wha very impressed with their CS, and recd a very nice email after the call.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well all I can say to that is that my Advantage Arms Target Model fit very well!!

A slide assembly is fit to a 1911 frame so I can see where any aftermarket assembly might need some fitting.

I put my kit on a dedicated frame so I lapped them together for a custom fit.

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I would have bought the AA Target model, if they would have committed to it working on something other than a mil spec full size frame. The price was better and looks to be close to the same product as I bought from nighthawk. They just weren't responsive to checking if it'd fit something besides a full size or not. Seems like missed sales opportunity to me.