COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Crossbreed SuperTuck

I haven't had an IWB holster for a full sized 1911, so I decided to order a SuperTuck, and it was delivered today.

I plan to use it with both my Valor and CCO. My immediate impression is that it is indeed a very comfortable holster. I had my CCO in it for about half an hour, then slipped in the Valor. Ya, this should work out just fine.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of Kydex, but I'll see how it works out.

I'll try to post pics later today, but it may not happen till after the weekend.

Last edited by Grizzman; 04-05-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I'll speak from experience . I own three, cowhide backing. 9mm Gl**k, OWB 1911 and IWB 1911. While I am absolutely sure the 1911 one will be replaced by the beautiful work that Lane is doing for me, I can assure you this:

If you think it comfortable now, wait until the leather molds to your body. It will take about a month of daily wear, your body heat and sweat wll do the molding. My Crossbreed now fits in exactly one place at 3:30 oclock position. This is the first IWB holster I've ever had that I literally do not feel throughout the day.I forget I'm wearing it. My new DW CCO needs leather though... and Lane is "da Man!" for leather work. I'll allow my Sig or the SA to wear the kydex going forward.

On the kydex note. I HAVE allowed the DW in the crossbreed, and there is no visible wear on the firearm. Keep the kydex clean, the gun oiled, and you should have no problems. I also found that wearing a pair of Perry suspenders that hook to your belt (no metal clips) help to keep the gunside of your pants at the proper position.

Good luck with your new holster!

One Well Used and very comfortable Crossbreed. The dye is NOT wearing off, its just the way the flash caught the marks in the leather. It's still one solid color.

SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.

Last edited by DaFadda; 04-05-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have a Crossbreed for my Springfield XDm - and I love it. As mentioned above, as you wear it, it gets better. When I invested in my first Dan Wesson, I couldn't bear the thoughts of Kydex on my pistol (and it's probably not a real worry) - and that started what's turned into a pretty fun hobby/business for me. In fact, the very first holster I made, I pretty much copied my Crossbreed for a pattern.

They make a great product and have GREAT customer service.

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here's a short update. I've worn the Supertuck a few more days, and it seems to be taking shape nicely.

The retention at the front of the trigger guard seemed a little excessive, so I heated it up with my heat gun and reduced it some. It now slides in and out very smoothly, yet isn't going to come out unless I want it to.

I also added one notch worth of forward cant. I do like the option of easily adjusting the ride height and cant to suit my preferences.

While walking around a quiet department store a few nights ago, I did notice that it's not exactly a silent holster. It's unlikely that a typical person would notice it, and I doubt that they'd have any idea what was causing it.

I wore my VM2 a couple days ago to compare the two, and in the comfort department, the Supertuck wins hands down. The VM2 is quieter, just as easily concealed, gentler on the firearm, and much more finely crafted.

I think my future Rock will be very happy riding in the Crossbreed, while my CCO is used primarily in the Milt Sparks.

Overall I'm very happy with the Supertuck,and the comfort more than makes up for the few weaknesses.

One of my cats must be ready for me to load up some ammo....she's tearing up the shipping box the Speer Gold Dots arrived in.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
I think my future Rock will be very happy riding in the Crossbreed, while my CCO is used primarily in the Milt Sparks.
I'm not somewhere I can carry concealed anyhow.
I got a Comp-Tac for my P245 that seems appropriate for that little feller...
But for the Kobra Carry (and class tomorrow) I've got an OWB Galco "Fletch" - the idea of Kydex on stainless is just disturbing.

I've heard a lot of good things about the VM2 - and for the old 1943 GI Colt I have a barely-used Summer Special that I got from a friend for a good price...but...it seems bulky on my skinny ass. Is there something I SHOULDN'T do???
Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Holster fit is very individual. What works for some is completely uncomfortable to others.

It sounds like you shouldn't go on a diet.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've been leaning very hard towards the Maxtuck from White hat holsters. Looks like they copied the Crossbread but used plain belt clips. The crosses on the clips draws attention to something I'm trying to hide. I haven't found one review or video that hasn't said the crossbread was the most comfortable holster. I'm guessing it's mainly because it's spread out so far and distributes the weight? If so wonder why others haven't copied the design and replaced the kydex with leather.
Dan Wesson SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, 11/11 Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Uhhhh..... Koz..... someone has. Go to our own Lane's website. Make life easy.... here's the url for ya. The Cotep Deacon is what you are looking for.... the commander also. Lane can do it with plain clips. That's what he's building for me as we speak.

http://www.lascoleather.com/IWB-Conc...olsters_c2.htm

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks for the link. Can you tell me if the clips are adjustable? My one concern which has been my biggest concern with leather holsters is the stiffness at the muzzle end of the holster. The one I have now pokes me in the arse and that's not something I'm fond of. The Crossbread and Maxtuck have a flat flap that separates the gun from your body which I would suspect would feel more comfortable..? This holster seems to be about as close to the crossbread and its in leather but not what I pictured in my mind... Not sure if what I had in mind can even be made and still be supportive. I think if Garrett Industries would get together with White Hat and make a Maxtuck with a leather lined Kydex they would have a winner.
Dan Wesson SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, 11/11 Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Have a horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck and like it except that like all IWB holsters I have to wear a larger size pants and belt with it.

It is very comfortable though. Also have matching Crossbreed gunbelt and like it too.

Have a Don Hume 721 O.T. OWB on order for a change up and maybe at the range. Also have a Blackhawk Serpa but don't wear it much.