COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 02-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
You are on the right track. If a range has enough interest that they are holding IDPA shoots, and have a women's group that sounds like a good place to start. You may want to go to an IDPA or USPSA shoot in the area. Most are usually helpful and supportive of new shooters. You need to get some references on trainers. BEWARE of know it alls, you can get allot of advice not all of it helpful.

I agree with USPSA Shooter. Trai ning! Trai ning! Trai ning! I try to take a class every 3 to 6 months. How do you get to Carnegie Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice. One of the most humbling things that i have ever experienced was my first day at Gunsite. I thought I knew what I was doing, I was WRONG.
Everything that has said I totally support. From ranges supporting women in shooting, to competitions and caution against the know it all's. I would advise looking into your instructors train-ing locations and schools, and frequency of that training. I sincerely hope you can attend a firearms train-ing academy for a week. You will be pushed far beyond your expectations and perceived limits. It will be an experience you will NEVER forget, and will want to return to.
DVC,
S&W, DW's, Colts, M&P's, Winchester
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
COTEP Member

My .02 cents? Glad you asked!

I only take quick kill or combat training. I have never shot any Saturday IDPA or USPC, just not my thing.

But once you find an instructor you think you like, do a thorough look/see at them anywhere you can find information. Most instructors have all kinds of people commenting about courses they have taken with that instructor, in forums or blogs. Look for what people liked, or shortfalls they have mentioned.
I do like weekend events, gives me some time for socializing with classmates as I am pretty quiet/concentrated while training.

I also like to keep notes during training so I can practice weeks after class is over. Notes help me remember little "tricks" mentioned by the instructor, or other students, as well as the techiques taught for the weekend as a whole.

I have noticed more and more outdoor ranges offering training from people advertised as "highly qualified" in some shape or form. Might be a place to find a good trainer.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA Shooter View Post
There are a lot more rules in IDPA, But those rules are put in place to better prepare you in the event you do get into a gun battle.

Shooting and reloading from cover. Smart
Never move from one shooting position to another with a empty gun. Smart

USPSA is fun but if you just want to throw a bunch of lead down range go for it.
I have done a bunch of real world "situations", spent many a dollar on training with very well know instructors that a few on this forum can vouch for.

"If you’re in a gunfight:

- If you’re not shooting, you should be loading.

- If you’re not loading, you should be moving.

- If you’re not moving, you’re dead."

Even if your reloading you should be moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukinut View Post
I have done a bunch of real world "situations", spent many a dollar on training with very well know instructors that a few on this forum can vouch for.

So have I and the one thing I took out of it and stand by is that there are no absolutes.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
COTEP Member

Thanks all. I really appreciate the replies. Have plenty of time to keep looking and I plan to do some asking around at some of the gun shops here.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Too bad many of you are too far because one of the things I offer to share are some of the things I learned through the years in all the different tactical schools I've attended. Free!

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

IDPA: shoot from cover or while retreating
USPSA: stand and shoot in the open

IDPA: Most stages are "Vickers Count" which means you shoot until the targets are neutralized, however many shots it takes. Only the hits are scored, or lack thereof.
USPSA: You are penalized for missed shots.

IDPA: Failure to neutralize any target is a 5 second penalty when on a Vickers Count stage.
USPSA: It can be advantageous to skip a target

IDPA: draw from concealment from a close fitting holster
USPSA: draw from a speed holster

IDPA: no lightened slides, no compensators, no optics allowed
USPSA: lightened slides, compensators, optics allowed.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukinut View Post

Very much DISAGREE with your statement.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA Shooter View Post
Very much DISAGREE with your statement.
Why do you disagree? I've only started taking classes in the past six months but that's what I've learned and it makes sense. I'm not challenging you - just asking questions to learn.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
Why do you disagree? I've only started taking classes in the past six months but that's what I've learned and it makes sense. I'm not challenging you - just asking questions to learn.
Yes you should move but you really don't need to be moving with a unloaded gun. To many things to go wrong while moving, dropping a mag to be the biggest. Unless you are in a place you know very well you could be running to a one way in one way out situation.

My earlier post was not to compare IDPA to training, but to let the OP how IDPA works.

There are times to sit still and times to move, You just have to make the right choice.

But then again there are some here that know more then me.....or they think that anyway.

Most get training from someone who has never been in a gun fight, Can they train you for one? Not really.

Last edited by Deleted; 02-18-2014 at 06:24 PM.