COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

train-ing? Did someone say train-ing??? I don't need no stinking train-ing!!!

I've played countless hours of COD Black Ops and the Battlefield series of video games....I'm good to go!

Now, that I'm done making everyone smile, can we get back to the topic and stop fighting with each other?

Oh, I was only kidding about the video games. If I ever get the chance to carry legally, I will look into training.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA Shooter View Post
Yes you should move but you really don't need to be moving with a unloaded gun. To many things to go wrong while moving, dropping a mag to be the biggest. Unless you are in a place you know very well you could be running to a one way in one way out situation.

My earlier post was not to compare IDPA to training, but to let the OP how IDPA works.

There are times to sit still and times to move, You just have to make the right choice.

But then again there are some here that know more then me.....or they think that anyway.

Most get training from someone who has never been in a gun fight, Can they train you for one? Not really.
Hmmmm, while both of my instructors have been in multiple gunfights in their work life, and both have been shot and lived to tell, I wouldn't discount any trainer based on his lack of gunfight experience. Probably thousands of trainers who offer great insight, very few been shot at. Probably plenty of trainers who have been shot at and cannot convey a message of life or death situations worth their weight in copper.
I will say that I have been lucky in finding my instructors. I can only imagine the frustration of people looking for someone they can trust.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Hmmmm, while both of my instructors have been in multiple gunfights in their work life, and both have been shot and lived to tell, I wouldn't discount any trainer based on his lack of gunfight experience. Probably thousands of trainers who offer great insight, very few been shot at. Probably plenty of trainers who have been shot at and cannot convey a message of life or death situations worth their weight in copper.
I will say that I have been lucky in finding my instructors. I can only imagine the frustration of people looking for someone they can trust.

I got lucky and train with 2 SF guys with multiple deployments and god only knows how many firefights, their training fits me nicely, High stress situations while shooting from multiply positions and distances. Matter of fact in two weeks will go to another class with them, Low light AR/Pistol course.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Trai ning, practice, competition (SaturdayGames) are all helpful. Putting rounds down range from a holster, dry fire, instruction all help you develop trigger control, draw, tactics, sight picture muscle memory and overall familiarity with you gun. Games are games. Pick one (or all) you enjoy shooting.(three gun). The one thing I would suggest is that whenever you are at the range shooting, be working on something, don't just go blasting rounds down rage, have a plan. You don't want to practice doing it wrong.

To OP when I suggested you go to a USPSA or IDPA match, I did not mean you had to shoot it. That is just a good place to find people that are shooters. A good place to get advice. (Not always good advice and lots of opinions)

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414

Last edited by Sheepdog; 02-18-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
Trai ning, practice, competition (SaturdayGames) are all helpful. Putting rounds down range from a holster, dry fire, instruction all help you develop trigger control, draw, tactics, sight picture muscle memory and overall familiarity with you gun. Games are games. Pick one (or all) you enjoy shooting.(three gun). The one thing I would suggest is that whenever you are at the range shooting, be working on something, don't just go blasting rounds down rage, have a plan. You don't want to practice doing it wrong.

To OP when I suggested you go to a USPSA or IDPA match, I did not mean you had to shoot it. That is just a good place to find people that are shooters. A good place to get advice. (Not always good advice and lots of opinions)
Well said , Every range day should be some sort of practice.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM
COTEP Member

After the bambino get here and you're back on your feet, give me a call if you want to talk more about training. I think we spoke a few months ago.

Ken
Old 05-18-2014, 07:56 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodawg View Post
After the bambino get here and you're back on your feet, give me a call if you want to talk more about training. I think we spoke a few months ago.

Ken
The bambino arrived a few weeks ago..
Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have also had some of the best training that Uncle Sam's money can buy but if you cannot apply what you learned in a real life situation then did you really learn anything!!!

I hope that makes sense!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 05-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
I have also had some of the best training that Uncle Sam's money can buy but if you cannot apply what you learned in a real life situation then did you really learn anything!!!

I hope that makes sense!!
Makes perfect sense.....But having the knowledge is a great thing to have.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA Shooter View Post
Makes perfect sense.....But having the knowledge is a great thing to have.
Exactly!!

The firearm training is excellent to have but you also need the mindset to put it to use when in a situation that requires it.

COTEP # CBOB0152