Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 11-29-2017, 01:59 PM
COTEP Member

Default Apprehended! Hell yeah!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...otings-n824901

Hell yeah!
Old 11-29-2017, 02:14 PM
COTEP Member

What gets me is they got the ballistic test back so fast, Yet there are thousands of untested rape kits in this state... WTF
Old 11-29-2017, 03:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
What gets me is they got the ballistic test back so fast, Yet there are thousands of untested rape kits in this state... WTF
yeah, we have the same issue with blood test for dui etc..... some tests are done so quickly it makes you wonder while the guys doing the hard work getting drunks off the streets and collecting samples of blood/piss have to wait weeks sometimes for tests. Some are even loosing cases because of the long times or no results at all....it sucks!! I have never lost one because of this but I know guys who have 4 or 5 dropped because of lab work is slow/bad.

sucks!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:06 PM
COTEP Member

All I can think of is they mentioned matching casings. I wonder if they matched caliber and headstamp, or possibly another physical attribute like Glock buldge. Also they could have fast tracked it because of the 4 seperate first degree murder charges to make sure he couldn’t bail and bail!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:29 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
All I can think of is they mentioned matching casings. I wonder if they matched caliber and headstamp, or possibly another physical attribute like Glock buldge. Also they could have fast tracked it because of the 4 seperate first degree murder charges to make sure he couldn’t bail and bail!
Tool marks.

Two identical guns will leave different markings on a shell casing from the extractor, ejector, bolt face, firing pin, and chamber.

The markings are as unique as a fingerprint and are not hard to spot with a comparative microscope.

Unless the caliber or manufacturer is very rare, the same caliber and headstamp are circumstantial at best. Any decent attorney could make the argument that there are hundreds, if not thousands of rounds with that caliber and headstamp in the area.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
Tool marks.

Two identical guns will leave different markings on a shell casing from the extractor, ejector, bolt face, firing pin, and chamber.

The markings are as unique as a fingerprint and are not hard to spot with a comparative microscope.

Unless the caliber or manufacturer is very rare, the same caliber and headstamp are circumstantial at best. Any decent attorney could make the argument that there are hundreds, if not thousands of rounds with that caliber and headstamp in the area.
I just meant what could be compared relatively quickly without ballistics testing that might take a while longer.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

That’s because ballistic test takes about five minutes to compare. The DNA process takes a lot longer and that’s before you can even do a comparison.
I once dropped of a gun used in a crime and before I was 5 miles down the road they called to tell me the gun matched a double homicide from a previous incident.
Our lab won’t even do certain DNA testing. All depending on the crime and how the evidence was obtained. For example; if we see a suspect throw a gun they won’t do touch DNA. Their argument being that you have an officers eyewitness statement and testimony. Our argument is yes, but it would really cement our testimony especially since our credibility is always being attacked on the stand.
Nope, won’t do it. Due, to the volume, time, and expenditure.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Is he dead yet? Thanks for the info brother
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523