COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default widespread price-gouging of guns and ammunition

Jeff Quinn ( GunBlast.com - Table of Contents ) discusses widespread price-gouging of guns and ammunition by unscrupulous dealers.

-I've heard of people charging $70+ for brick of .22lr and actin' like they were doing someone a favor.-
-I've heard of 15 guys standing in line at 7:00am in Wal-Mart and buyin' 3 boxes of ammo apiece. Then they all go outside and put the ammo in the same vehicle. They're buyin' for some dealer who's gonna jack it up for 4 times what they paid.-
-You walk into some place and some guy wants to charge you $2000 for a $800 AR, well, what you say to him is your business but I can guarantee you I will never spend a single cent in that place.-
-Gun and ammo manufacturers have not raised their prices 400%. It's the dealers who have been taking advantage of their customers during this Constitutional Crisis. There are some dealers who have not raised their prices this whole time. It's a free market, sure. But the market will return to normal and, when it does, remember the folks who did you right and the folks who tried to stick it to you. Those places that did good by their customers are where you need to be spending your money in the future.-

COTEP #236
The Following User Says Thank You to zenfly For This Useful Post:
dw1911 (09-19-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM
COTEP Member

I have seen $100 for a brick of .22.......sickening.......also, alot of the walmart buyers turn around and flip the ammo for profit online. They were also selling to indoor ranges since the ranges were trying to stay open. Up in SC a kid refused to show me an ar, that I knew was in the stock room. Said they were waiting on a background check......he isn't there anymore. Walmart employees have been rumored to tell friends when to come in, buy inventory, then flip it online. Lotsa nasty stuff came out of the shortages.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

I've seen 9mm M&P mags going for over $100 on Ebay and Gunbroker.

It's not only gun owners that are the gougers, it's non gun owners who bought the items and are re-selling them at double and triple the prices to make money...RAT BASTAHDS!!!

Everything will calm down if you can wait it out.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts
Question Solution to this?

People need to STOP buying this stuff at those HIGH Prices.
That will fix it. I buy ammo at Wal Mart. For MYSELF. I refuse to sell any of it. I see these gougers at Gun Shows, I call em out on WHERE THEY bought it, I also tell them NO THANK YOU!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1911 View Post
That will fix it. I buy ammo at Wal Mart. For MYSELF. I refuse to sell any of it. I see these gougers at Gun Shows, I call em out on WHERE THEY bought it, I also tell them NO THANK YOU!
Yes I buy ammo for myself and refuse to sell it. I also see those price gougers online and I have wrote my share of emails out calling them out.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1911 View Post
This is what needs to happen. I'm a believer that the market is what sets the price. When everyone wants it, you will always find people that will grossly overpay due to either having money to wipe their butt with or just plain ignorance.

I won't sit here and pretend that I didn't sell off a bunch of my private stash and purchase items online for the sole purpose of reselling it for profit. I also, helped out family and friends by selling some items to them for what I paid for it online. The money that I made helped me pay for unexpected medical bills for my wife's latest bout with kidney stones, allowed me to have throw a nice 1st birthday for my daughter and build up my bank account for a future shed building project.

I'm glad to see that prices have normalized for the most part for the exception of ammunition. To anyone that is still upset about increased prices earlier this year you need to take it as a lesson learned and stock up on wants and needs while you can NOW. Unfortunately we are only another school shooting away from going thru the same thing again.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

I just thought this was bad....
http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5716
It really sucks how people are trying to f..k other folks on ammo prices. I've got a pretty masssive stash here, nothing is for sale. I'm not going into numbers, but I think I could go the the rest of my life and not buy anything else.I tend to shoot quite a bit. A whole bunch of mine was bought when .223 was $3.00 a box, .45 was $5.00, I don't even remember what .22LR was then, but it was very cheap. It's just amazing what's went on the last several years, especially when our government starts buying up all the ammo. I'm not trying to whip a dead horse, but I think very interesting times are ahead. I'm hoping God will help us all, we sure need the help.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlutz View Post
I just thought this was bad....
http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5716
It really sucks how people are trying to f..k other folks on ammo prices. I've got a pretty masssive stash here, nothing is for sale. I'm not going into numbers, but I think I could go the the rest of my life and not buy anything else.I tend to shoot quite a bit. A whole bunch of mine was bought when .223 was $3.00 a box, .45 was $5.00, I don't even remember what .22LR was then, but it was very cheap. It's just amazing what's went on the last several years, especially when our government starts buying up all the ammo. I'm not trying to whip a dead horse, but I think very interesting times are ahead. I'm hoping God will help us all, we sure need the help.
I'm so jealous you got to buy at those prices. How long ago was this?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:56 PM
COTEP Member

Default Don't you hate it?

What impresses me is that the grabbers bask in this kind of shortage... "Makin' us pay" is part of their mantra.

Of course, those of us that stockpiled ammo years ago are labelled "hoarders" and "arsenals" as if we were abnormal and paranoid about losing our rights... Visions of us burying it all in secret stashes dance in their heads.

But wait... they really want to take away human rights and eliminate sales of "weapons of war"... And all that extra deadly armor piercing "cop killer" ammunition. Perhaps it's not so abnormal to be paranoid and stock up?

I teach NRA Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle. Thank heavens I bought some surplus Remmington .22LR from the CMP a couple of years ago. I've already been providing it to other instructors in our team.

Marc

ut facile, Usurpate tamen!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfly View Post
There are some dealers who have not raised their prices his whole time. It's a free market, sure. But the market will return to normal and, when it does, remember the folks who did you right and the folks who tried to stick it to you.
I agree. There's a great gun shop a couple of blocks from my office. I generally don't but ammo there, but he's got the best prices for reloading supplies. He hasn't raised his prices other than pass along the increases he's had to pay. He'll continue to get my business.

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268