COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 06-09-2018, 03:14 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Today’s Firearm of the day....

Mauser 1910 Pocket Pistol .25 Cal / 6.35mm

German designers from famous Mauser Werke worked on various semi-automatic pistols since about 1893. In the year of 1909 they set to develop a new, relatively simple semiautomatic pistol, chambered for 9x19mm Luger ammunition with reduced load. This weapon, known as Mauser Model 1910, was not a great success; its updated version, known as Model 1910/12, was manufactured in small numbers under contract with Brazilian navy. In the mean time, it was decided that a new design is more suitable for ammunition, less powerful than a "military" 9mm Luger, so, in the 1910, the basic design was scaled down to relatively new 6.35mm Browning ammunition (known in USA as .25ACP, first introduced in 1906 in Europe and in 1908 in USA). Known as Mauser Model 1910, this became a rather successful pocket pistol. Just before the start of World War One Mauser turned out a slightly bigger version of the same gun, chambered for another Browning-designed cartridge, the 7.65mm (also known as .32ACP). Limited numbers of these 7.65mm pistols were used by German Army during World war 1. Guns, manufactured since 1914 (both smaller 6.35mm and bigger 7.65mm) were slightly different from original design in appearance and minor details, such as design of the barrel retaining pin lock. Over the following two decades, Mauser produced several minor variations of these pistols, which differed in the markings, shape of slide serrations etc etc, but basic design remained basically unchanged. In the year of 1934, Mauser introduced a final version of this line, Model 1934. Its major change from model 1914 was the shape of the grip panels, with curved, rather than straight backstrap. Model 1934 was adopted by German armed forces as a substitute standard, and also was used by various police and security forces. Key military buyers for Mauser 1934 pistols were Kriegsmarine (Navy) and Luftwaffe (Air force).

Mauser 1910 type pistols are simple blowback operated weapons with stationary, but easily removable barrel. barrel is held to the frame by the long pin, which passes through two underbarrel lugs below the barrel (one at the front and one below the breech). For disassembly, slide of the pistol is locked back, and pin is unlocked and rotated sideways, then pulled out to the front, so the barrel can be pulled up from the frame. Slide of this pistol has a characteristic open-top appearance, with a separate ejection window on the right side. Trigger is of single action type, striker fired. pistol is fitted with manual safety, located in the cut of the left grip panel, just behind the trigger, and with automatic magazine disconnect safety. Slide hold-open device is installed in pistol, but once slide is caught open, it can be released only by insertion of a fresh magazine. Magazine release is located at the base of the pistol grip. Sights are fixed. Grip panels are usually made from wood, but also can be made of plastic on late production guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

good job Roach
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 06-09-2018, 08:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
good job Roach

Thanks but, it was Gatorade who brought this thread back from the dead.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:08 PM
COTEP Member

Good job to the both of you, interesting pieces having attention brought to them, really enjoy this thread !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Thanks but, it was Gatorade who brought this thread back from the dead.

It is too good a thread to let go by. I have a couple more but today was moving day so I need to unpack boxes and make a couple runs to the old house before I do another.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:24 PM
COTEP Member

Sunday’s Firearm of the Day......

Smith and Wesson M&P:

The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military and Police) is a polymer-framed, short recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistol introduced in the summer of 2005 by the American company Smith & Wesson. It uses a Browning-type locking system. While targeted at law enforcement agencies, the M&P is also widely available on the commercial market.

History:

The M&P is a hybrid evolution of the Smith & Wesson Sigma and Smith & Wesson SW99 design but does not share parts compatibility with the Sigma. The M&P design has an improved trigger and enhanced ergonomics that allow for end-user customization. An industry standard picatinny rail and a higher grip has been afforded with an improved grip and beavertail. Many of the ergonomic study elements that had been incorporated into the Sigma and the Smith & Wesson SW99 were brought over to the M&P. The improved trigger weight and feel and the unique takedown method (not requiring a dry-fire pull of the trigger) were meant to set the M&P apart from the popular Glock pistols.

Design:

The M&P is a striker-fired semi-automatic pistol. This trigger system prevents the firearm from discharging unless the trigger is fully depressed, even if the pistol is dropped. An internal lock and/or magazine disconnect are available as options and an optional external thumb safety became available in 2009.

The pistol frame is made out of Zytel polymer reinforced with a stainless steel chassis. The pistol comes with three removable and interchangeable grips. The slide and barrel are made out of stainless steel that after hardening is treated with a proprietary nitriding process called Melonite. The Melonite process produces a matte gray non-glare surface with a 68 Rockwell C surface hardness rating. The pistol has a very low slide profile which holds the barrel axis close to the shooter's hand and makes the M&P more comfortable to shoot by reducing muzzle rise and allowing for faster aim recovery in rapid shooting sequence. The slide has four contact points with the frame. This was done to make the rail system self cleaning, by leaving room for any dirt or small foreign objects to fall out of the weapon.

As the slide of the pistol enters battery, the striker engages the sear. At this point, the sear is held back in a partially cocked condition. When the trigger of the M&P is pulled, the trigger bar first engages the firing pin safety plunger, lifting it upward, and releasing firing pin safety. At the rearward extreme of the trigger bar's travel, it engages the sear. The sear is rotated downward by the trigger bar, fully cocking, then releasing the striker. The striker makes contact with the primer of the chambered round, which in turn ignites the gunpowder and propels the bullet forward. According to renowned M&P gunsmith Dan Burwell, the angle on the rear face of the sear creates a camming action against the striker. This camming action moves the striker to the rear very slightly during the trigger pull, thus finishing the "cocking". This system is similar to the partially tensioned striker found in the Glock series of pistols. When the pistol cycles for the next shot, the striker will be automatically pre-set in a 98% cocked position. Because the striker is only 98% cocked prior to the trigger being pulled, Smith & Wesson classifies the M&P's action as "striker fired (double action only)".

The M&P factory trigger is of the jointed type and has a trigger travel of 7.6 mm (0.3 in) and is rated at 29 N (6.5 lbf). The M&P45c models have a slightly higher rated trigger pull of 31 N (7.0 lbf). The competition oriented M&P40 Pro Series have a reduced trigger pull of 20 N (4.5 lbf) due to the installation of a Smith & Wesson performance center sear. Massachusetts (MA) approved models have a trigger pull of 45 N (10 lbf).

Several safety features are prominent on the M&P. A sear deactivation lever permits the shooter to disassemble the pistol without having to pull the trigger to accomplish disassembly. The pistol also has a loaded chamber indicator viewing opening on top of the slide.

Ergonomics were a key focus in the design of the firearm, and as a result, three interchangeable palm swell grips are included (small, medium and large). The trigger guard is designed to accommodate gloves. The frame of the M&P has a magazine release button that can be changed from the left to the right side. The magazine drops free when the magazine release is pressed. The firearm features an ambidextrous slide stop and reversible magazine release for either right or left hand operation.

The pistols are delivered with two magazines.

The standard iron sights are of the three dot type and made of steel. Both the front and rear sights are dove-tailed into the slide, and can be horizontally drifted to adjust for windage correction.

An integrated Picatinny rail can be found underneath the slide on the front of the frame for attaching tactical lights, lasers and other accessories.

Variants:

The M&P is available in 9×19mm Parabellum, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, with barrel lengths in 5.0", 4.5", 4.25", 4.1" 4.0", 3.5", and 3.1".

The M&P Pro Series is available in 9×19mm Parabellum and .40 S&W with 4.25" and 5" barrels. The M&P9 Pro Series 5" and M&P40 Pro Series 5" pistols feature a Novak fiber optic green front sight and Novak reduced-glare rear sights, instead of the night sights found on the 4.25" models, since the 5" models are aimed at competition.

The M&P9 JG is a standard size Champion series variant named for Julie Golob and fitted with a Warren Tactical rear sight and a fiber optic front sight. Besides the three standard black grip inserts it comes with two small and medium-sized pink grip inserts. A portion of the proceeds from sale of these models will go to a breast cancer awareness charity and an awareness ribbon is etched on the slide of the pistol.

In 2007 the full-size .45 ACP version of the M&P was introduced sporting a 114 mm (4.5 in) barrel. This model also won Handgun of the Year in 2007.

In 2008, Smith & Wesson introduced new versions of the M&P: the M&P45 Mid-size, the M&P45 Compact, the M&P9L, and the M&P Pro Series. The M&P45 Mid-size sports a 102 mm (4 in) barrel and a full-sized grip, and the M&P45 Compact targets the concealed carry market with its 4" barrel and shorter grip (with eight or ten-round capacity).

In 2011, Smith & Wesson released the M&P22, a cosmetically similar handgun chambered in .22 Long Rifle. The internal construction and blowback operation of this rimfire cartridge variant is the same as the Walther P22, which Smith & Wesson used to import into the United States, and completely differs from the center fire M&P variants. Rather than the three-dot sights found on other models, the M&P22 has a single dot on the front sight and notch rear that is adjustable for elevation and windage.[11] In 2013 the scaled down M&P22 Compact was released.

In 2012, Smith & Wesson introduced the M&P Shield in 9mm and .40 S&W. The Shield is a subcompact single-stack magazine variant of the M&P line. The Shield has roughly the same silhouette as the M&P Compact but is considerably thinner at less than 1-inch in width. The Shield is the first M&P to incorporate an improved trigger with positive reset.[12] In 2016 a .45 ACP variant Shield was added to Smith and Wesson's product line.[13] The .45 ACP Shield variant has a 0.2" longer barrel (measuring 3.3") and exhibits larger overall dimensions.

In 2014, Smith & Wesson introduced the M&P Bodyguard 380 in .380 ACP. The M&P Bodyguard is functionally identical to the previous released Bodyguard 380, which it replaces. The M&P branded Bodyguard removes the integrated laser sight of the previous pistol and brings the aesthetics in line with the rest M&P product line. Unlike the rest of the M&P pistols, the M&P Bodyguard is not striker-fired. It is a more traditional double-action-only hammer-fired pistol intended for personal protection, concealed carry or as a law enforcement "back-up" gun.

In 2017, Smith & Wesson introduced the M&P 2.0 series. Changes include a full-length steel chassis, a rough textured grip, and the improved trigger system of the Pro series

Old 06-10-2018, 05:25 PM
COTEP Member

Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 PM
COTEP Member

Bumping this thread so I will remember to put something new up this week. I may just take a family pick of all the ones mentioned so far that are on hand! Just a recap. I do have a special one that Mike and I got to take to the range the other day... Yep, that one is next. Just need to take the pics!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Bumping this thread so I will remember to put something new up this week. I may just take a family pick of all the ones mentioned so far that are on hand! Just a recap. I do have a special one that Mike and I got to take to the range the other day... Yep, that one is next. Just need to take the pics!
please do, this is a really good thread.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:42 AM
COTEP Member

Can’t wait to see it.