Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Here's some quick facts Alex:

30’W x 38’D footprint
Full basement w/4 bedrooms/ 2 full baths/mechanical room
Full bath on main floor/mud room-laundry room/walk-in closet
Open main floor plan with full kitchen/dinning room/great room
Wood burning stove main floor w/forced air furnace
Open 1/2 loft
Over 4500 lineal ft of 6” tongue/groove cedar used on vaulted ceiling and interior prow front
All cedar trim
6”x24”x38’ ceiling beam
2”x6” walls / 2”x12” ceiling on 16” center
140ft frontage on private all sports spring fed lake
2 car garage/shed
140ft deep 4” well
12/12 roof pitch / 12* prow front done in stained cedar shake
30’x20’ paver brick patio
Elk/deer/bear/fish-beaver/bald eagle-hawks-owls-turkey/etc.

“I” built it in 2001, took me 1yr working weekends, vacation time, holidays and then some, liked to kill me, don’t regret it at all but will never do it again. I had someone dig the basement and rough in the electrical/plumbing.
This sounds awesome! Impressive that you got it done on your own in a year. I'm currently thinking 28'x40' footprint and considering doing a half basement with the master bedroom end on a slab with radiant. I only want just 1 bedroom 1-1/2 baths with a loft above the back half. Then a breezeway with attached 2 car garage. I'm going to buy an excavator to build the road into my lot after I finish with my daughters house. Here's a pictorial with some plans that I edited a little.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 AM
COTEP Member

^^ Very nice !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOscar View Post
This sounds awesome! Impressive that you got it done on your own in a year......
The 1 year didn't include the garage/shed and the paver brick patio projects but got me the occupancy permit, it was 99% complete just had a few loose ends to complete. When it was complete I didn't go there for 2 months ... flat burned-out!!
I did have some help here and there, eg: setting the 2 commercial grade fixed glass units above the door walls, those are 6'w x 14'h at the tall point and weigh roughly 500lbs each. Had to set up scaffolding to set all of the upper glass.
Only thing I regret NOT doing is a metal roof vs. shingles and is something I would recommend, the 12/12 pitch definitely saves wear and tear on the shingles but the metal roof is 'forever' and roofing a 12/12 (= 45* angle) is a b!tch !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Last edited by RKP; 06-13-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
^^ Very nice !!

The 1 year didn't include the garage/shed and the paver brick patio projects but got me the occupancy permit, it was 99% complete just had a few loose ends to complete. When it was complete I didn't go there for 2 months ... flat burned-out!!
I did have some help here and there, eg: setting the 2 commercial grade fixed glass units above the door walls, those are 6'w x 14'h at the tall point and weigh roughly 500lbs each. Had to set up scaffolding to set all of the upper glass.
Only thing I regret NOT doing is a metal roof vs. shingles and is something I would recommend, the 12/12 pitch definitely saves wear and tear on the shingles but the metal roof is 'forever' and roofing a 12/12 (= 45* angle) is a b!tch !!
Did you run into any trouble with the gable end being set at angles? I love the look but wondering if I should just have a straight wall instead.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:16 AM
COTEP Member

this thread speaks volumes about COTEP vs the state of things in this world
Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

We are a bit different.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414