COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Mimber

Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default Kimber Aegis Ultra 9mm

I wanted an alloy framed 1911 9mm for carry and fun at the range. Came down to the Eco, Kimber Aegis, Sig Ultra, and Springer EMP. I have a DW VBOB Commander so the expectations were set high, and only the Eco could climb that high.
I’m 5’10 160 and carry IWB, I carry a P938 or a G27 and I wanted something similar in size to my G26. Degeneration in my neck and and some loss of fine motor skills have prompted me to find a softer shooter than my 45s and 40 calibers I usually shoot. I’ve been avoiding the range because of this and pain flare ups.
Decided against the EMP for not being able to use 1911 parts and I hated the lack of flush mags. The Sig I wanted to like, but just didn’t want the 2-tone it came in and was pretty pricey for what it is imo. The Eco was just over budget, but I really wanted it.
Then came the Kimber, which I’ve never thought I’d buy or want. It came only with 1 mag, love or hate reviews, and some are pretty pricey. What I loved about the Aegis was the serrations, and with my numbing fingertips was easy to rack. Also it had a round butt and flush mags can be had. Secondary were its looks but man is it a cool looking gun. So I took a leap and bought it for 850$ new out the door.
The dimensions are perfect and it disappeared on my body with a Cooks IWB holster. I field stripped it before the range trip and the fit and finish is pretty damn good. No burs or any crap assembly or milling that I could see. Very tight and no rattles. The only thing I thought seemed budget was the guide rod/spring assembly. Used Wilson lube and bore polish and took her to the range.
I took 147g, 124g, 115g, and Hornady Critical defense rounds and shot them in that order. Not a hiccup as the gun ate everything in put through it. After 100 rounds I stripped it down, inspected, reoiled and shot the crap out of it. I love this gun, and so far it’s a smooth operator. Very soft shooting and pretty accurate. I practiced emptying the mag and felt I did alright, as it had been a year or so since I’ve shot. I really look forward to more time with this gun. I am really impressed with the quality compared to my DW. Yes the Dan Wesson is on a whole other level, but for a range/carry piece this baby is a little Cadillac. I never thought I’d own a Kimber, but they make some pretty nice 3” 1911s. Now some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aqualungs; 12-26-2018 at 06:03 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aqualungs For This Useful Post:
Caleb (12-26-2018), FfNJGTFO (12-26-2018), MajO (12-26-2018), RKP (12-26-2018), sdmc530 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 09:32 PM
COTEP Member

Congrats
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:40 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Nice pick up and great shooting! I hope it serves you well.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Congratulations on your choice. I am not sure what the difference is between the Kimber Aegis and the Kimber Mini 9 that I have; but I had some problems with it initially.

I had the same issue with the Mini 9 that I had with a Sig 380. Both had FTE 's and wouldn't consistently go into battery. Both were sent back to the respective factories and essentially rebuilt. My son has the Sig and I have the Mini 9; which functions pretty well now. It does conceal well and, although roughly the same size as a Walther PPK, it provides 9 mm protection. Anyway, best of luck with your pistol.
NRA Member
:stand:
Old 12-26-2018, 10:54 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajO View Post
Congratulations on your choice. I am not sure what the difference is between the Kimber Aegis and the Kimber Mini 9 that I have; but I had some problems with it initially.

I had the same issue with the Mini 9 that I had with a Sig 380. Both had FTE 's and wouldn't consistently go into battery. Both were sent back to the respective factories and essentially rebuilt. My son has the Sig and I have the Mini 9; which functions pretty well now. It does conceal well and, although roughly the same size as a Walther PPK, it provides 9 mm protection. Anyway, best of luck with your pistol.

The Aegis is more or less the aesthetics/slide design. Aegis means Shield in Greek. Anyhoo I’m not sure what a mini 9 is, I know of the Micro line if that’s what you mean. The Aegis series are true 1911s, whereas the Micro is a micro mock-up, but is not a true 1911. I have the Aegis Ultra, Ultras being the 3” barreled Kimber 1911s.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I do like that little fella. Very cool. Does have an internal or external extractor?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:19 AM
COTEP Member

Default Kimber Aegis Ultra 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I do like that little fella. Very cool. Does have an internal or external extractor?

Internal, which I like!

**edited

Last edited by aqualungs; 12-28-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:27 AM
COTEP Member

Old 12-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
External, which I like!
Nice choice, good looking gun.
Several years ago, I picked up a P938 for a summertime carry gun, it has worked well but not my favorite to shoot without the extended mag for pinky support. Looks like maybe I should look at some of the newer options available today.

BTW the extractor is an internal not external as you can't see it on the outside of the slide port, couple that with the circle on the right hand side at the back of the slide... standard 1911 internal Browning extractor. Works fine lasts a long time.

COTEP 439
Old 12-28-2018, 11:14 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse'nround View Post
Nice choice, good looking gun.

Several years ago, I picked up a P938 for a summertime carry gun, it has worked well but not my favorite to shoot without the extended mag for pinky support. Looks like maybe I should look at some of the newer options available today.

BTW the extractor is an internal not external as you can't see it on the outside of the slide port, couple that with the circle on the right hand side at the back of the slide... standard 1911 internal Browning extractor. Works fine lasts a long time.

It fits in the hand perfect and so does the pinky. Yea I don’t know why I typed external. I’ve been misspeaking (mistyping) a lot lately lol.