COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Great thread. I really like it.
On the M1 Carbine, it's one of my favorite historical weapons I always wanted to add to my collection. But, alas, it's one of the prohibited weapons in this state.
A few years ago we picked one on up on a gun buy back program. It was in excellent condition. I convinced my agency not to destroy it.
We can't do anything with it, though. At least it'll be a conversation piece. That and the German Luger that was brought in by a WWII veteran who took off a German.
Good that you were able to convince them not to destroy those pieces of history! I wonder if they could transfer it to an FFL out of state?
Old 12-16-2017, 02:06 PM
COTEP Member

Hey, I have a FFL. I would be happy to take such a dangerous assault rifle out of the state of NJ.

If you ever left the DPRNJ, I'll transfer it to you.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

And the WWll Luger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM
COTEP Member

Speaking of forgotten weapons:

1930’s 18 shot 26.5mm Manville....

The Manville gun was a stockless, semi-automatic, revolver type gun, introduced in 1935 by Charles J. Manville.[1] The Manville Gun was a large weapon, with a heavy cylinder being rotated for each shot by a clockwork-type spring. The spring was wound manually during the reloading.

By 1938 Manville had introduced three different bore diameter versions of the gun, based on 12-gauge, 26.5-mm, or 37-mm shells. Due to poor sales, Manville guns ceased production in 1943

In 1936, Manville introduced a version that held eighteen rounds of 26.5mm bore shells. This design fired 26.5mm x 3.15 inch Short (26.5mm x 80mmR) flare, smoke, and riot gas shells. Explosive shells were not available and the cylinder walls are too thin for shot-shells. The weapon is similar to the earlier 12-gauge version, except the barrel was either 9.5 inches (240 mm) or 9.75 inches (248 mm), and used hard rubber rear grips instead of wood.

The First Model 26.5 was a larger-bore version of the 12-gauge shotgun, using the same two securing screws.

The Second Model 26.5 differed in that it used a long, thick metal locking bar with a turned-down bolt-handle, like the metal bolt on a bolt-action rifle, which locked into a recess machined into the frame. This slid through a round sleeve atop each half of the weapon to secure the two halves. When the bolt was unlatched and pulled to the rear, the back-plate was turned to the operator's right using the rear grip, allowing access to the cylinder. The operator could then pull out the spent shells and reload fresh ones.

Barrel and cylinder inserts were available to allow it to fire 12-gauge shells or clusters of .38 Special rounds.

In 1938, Manville introduced a twelve round gun with a 37mm bore. This version fired 37mm x 5.5 inch Long (37mm x 127mmR) flare, smoke, or tear gas shells and was designed for police and security use. It was meant to be used in an indirect fire mode and had its barrel mounted at the bottom of the cylinder rather than the top. Its greater weight prohibited its use by any but the strongest of men, since it was designed to be fired from a tripod or pintle mount.

History:

The Indiana National Guard used 26.5mm Manville guns to break up mobs of strikers during the Terre Haute General Strike of 1935. They fired flare and tear gas shells at strikers until they dispersed.

Police and military forces found the Manville guns to be large and heavy, resulting in limited sales. The Manville company ceased production of the weapons in 1943, after which Charles Manville destroyed all machinery, dies, diagrams and notes.

The last pic I took at my local gun show, it was for sale for only $2500.

This IS the original “Street Sweeper”.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default Star Super Modelo B

The Star Modelo B is based on John Moses Brownings’ Classic 1911 but with some Spanish changes. It fires the 9mm Largo round which is not to be confused with the .38 Super. 9mm Largo is as the name suggests a lengthened 9mm. 9mm Luger is 9x19 and 9mm Largo is 9x21. However it is not as hot as the .38 Super so the rounds are defiantly not interchangeable. It lacks the beaver tail safety and uses a different barrel bushing, also the take down lever is not removable during field stripping. The usual plunger for the safety is also done away with. The pictures are mine but rather than butcher the history and details I am cutting and pasting an excellent review however the original pictures in the review did not copy over so I will provide a link to the original article as well.

9mm on the left and 9mm Largo on the right.

Star Modelos Super

A brief history of the Star Modelos Super.
First a brief note on reference material for Star Pistols. The Star factory had a habit of changing characteristics on it's firearms without changing model names. Therefore you may find conflicting information than given here, and your Star may exhibit characteristics not mentioned here.
The Star Modelos Super were produced by the firm of Star Bonifacio Echeverria S.A. in Eibar, Spain.
After World War II the engineers at Star dusted off the plans for the Modelo M (9mm Largo/38 ACP) and decided some improvements were in order. The Modelo M continued to be produced, but the Modelos Super made improvements on its design and were produced from 1946 until 1983 when it was discontinued. Over its life, the Supers were offered in seven chamberings. In 1946 the Super M was debuted in 9mm Largo and 38 Super, soon the Modelo A (9mm Largo) underwent 'Superization' to become the Super A. Later that year the Modelo C (9mm Browning Long) was 'Superized as well, but was only produced in limited trial quantities. The Modelo B (9mm Luger) was also modified in this year to become the Super B. The year 1948 saw the addition of the Modelos SI (.32 ACP), and S (.380 ACP, 22 ozs.). In 1950 the Modelo D (.380 ACP, smaller than a Super S) was modified, in 1958 the Modelo P (.45 ACP) and finally in 1971 the Modelo SM (.380 ACP with adjustable rear sight) was modified. Production of all Super Models continued until 1983, except for the Super C (1946 only), Super D (1950 only) and Super P (1958 only).
The Super A and Super M were produced concurrently in 9mm Largo and .38 ACP. The two differences in these models is an enlarged breech face on the Super M that will allow the semi-rimmed .38 ACP cartridge to fully chamber and the Super A weighing 2ozs. less than the Super M. These pistols have their barrels marked 9mm/38.
There were 8 changes made to the basic pistol designs to make them Super models.
1. addition of a loaded chamber indicator
2. addition of a full magazine indicator in the magazine
3. sights were changed by the addition of white inlay to improve target acquisition in low light
4. recoil spring was made captive on the spring guide
5. swinging barrel link (M1911 style) was replaced with a cam system (Browning Hi-Power style)
6. addition of a quick takedown lever to the right side
7. magazine safety was changed
8. trigger system was changed
The magazine safety of the Super is an interesting design. When the magazine is inserted it forces the takedown lever to the right (out), moving a shoulder out of the sear's path of movement. When the magazine is removed the takedown lever moves to the left (in) blocking the sear's path of movement.

Many people mistake the 'S.A.' in the Star name and stamped on the slide of Star pistols to be a model designation. I constantly see Star pistols listed on online auction sites as "Star Model S.A. 9mm pistol." These normally turn out to be Star Modelo A, B, and Super pistols. The 'S.A.' is actually a Spanish abbreviation for 'Sociedad Anónima', the English equivalent would be 'corporation' or 'incorporated.' As with other late Star pistols, model types can be determined by looking at the butt of the pistol. This, combined with the caliber will tell which model of Super you have. Modelo Super Bs are marked 'B Super', but I don't know about the other Supers. With a .380 ACP model you also have to take note of weight and sights; the S weighs 22ozs, the D is lighter than this, and the SM has an adjustable rear sight.

The year of production on Star firearms can be approximated by the Year of Proof Codes. The pistol should have been proofed shortly after manufacture, and surely not before. This is normally located on the left side of the frame forward of the slide stop.
The Star Modelos Super are disassembled much like other Browning High Power style pistols. The Supers have been out of production for many years now and there are no known stocks of new parts for them. Used parts, however, are available from a variety of sources. An exploded parts diagram is available to help identify the various parts of the pistol. An Adobe PDF file of the original Spanish owner's manual is available (22.8Mb) as is an English translation of the complete disassembly instructions.
When 9mm Largo ammunition was hard to find in quantity shooters regularly fired other cartridges such as the 9mm Luger, 9mm Steyr, 9mm Browning Long, etc in their 9mm Largo firearms. Many dealers and distributors also claimed the firearms would fire all of these and more. This however is not a prudent practice to engage in. The Star Modelos A and M, like all pistols firing straight walled cartridges, headspace on the mouth of the cartridge. When a cartridge shorter than the 23mm of the 9mm Largo is used, the cartridge case cannot headspace against the end of the chamber. This leaves only the extractor to hold the cartridge case against the breechface allowing the firing pin to impact the primer. This causes excessive wear and stress on the extractor, too much freebore (the distance from the bullet to the beginning of the rifling), and scoring of the chamber walls. The result of these abnormalities can result in broken/misshapen extractors, poor accuracy, and the inability to chamber and extract correct size cases.
The use of cartridges that produce too much chamber pressure is also discouraged. Yes, the .38 Super and 9x23mm Winchester will chamber in most 9mm Largo firearms, and if they will chamber they will fire. The metallurgy and design of the Modelo Super were not developed to handle the pressure of these rounds. Use of these type cartridges in the Modelo Super risks damage to the pistol and possibly yourself through a ruptured chamber, fractured slide, or fractured frame.
Ammunition in 9mm Largo is now available from a number of sources. Surplus ammunition is now coming into the country in shootable quantities and is available at some gunshops, many gunshows, and via mailorder. Factory new 9mm Largo ammunition is being made by CCI in their Blazer line (product number 3513) with a 124g Gold Dot Hollow Point bullet. If you reload RCBS makes dies in 9mm Largo (product number 56665), these are not a normally stocked item and require special order. You can also utilize 9x23mm Winchester dies to reload 9mm Largo, the exterior case dimensions are almost identical. Starline also produces virgin 9mm Largo brass for reloading. Gone are the days of manufacturing cases out of .223 Remington (done that, not fun), 9mm Winchester Magnum (done that, much easier) or other cases.

Star Pistol Timeline

Link to the original write up:

http://9mmlargo.com/star_spr/index.htm
Old 06-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

I think you need bigger pics
I have been temped a couple of times to get a Star B. Sarco sells them from time to time. You might have pushed me over the edge now.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I think you need bigger pics
I have been temped a couple of times to get a Star B. Sarco sells them from time to time. You might have pushed me over the edge now.
Yeah I never know how to scale them down in Imgur. Hopefully someone will be along who can shrink them.

Just make sure you can get 9mm Largo. They do make conversion barrels for 9mm but you also need the conversion spring as well.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
The Super A and Super M were produced concurrently in 9mm Largo and .38 ACP. The two differences in these models is an enlarged breech face on the Super M that will allow the semi-rimmed .38 ACP cartridge to fully chamber
http://9mmlargo.com/star_spr/index.htm
I wasn't really that familiar with 38 ACP (I thought that might be a typo at first) so I looked it up.
One of JMB's creations, of course. Would have been the standard 9mm if it hadn't been eclipsed by the 9mm Luger.
It's actually still with us in the form of the 38 Super which is basically just a 38 ACP +P. Same case dimensions but stronger case.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 06-09-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

They have them for $195 right now.... is this a decent price?

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/starbspistol.aspx
Old 06-09-2018, 02:29 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
They have them for $195 right now.... is this a decent price?

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/starbspistol.aspx

Yes..... with surplus firearms, the less they are available the more the price goes up. Snatch one up now before the prices jumps to $400+