Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

One of my Sigs is the C3. Bought it used...zero issues
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
Ok, I do not know much about the Sig line of 1911s. Looking for honest opinions/explination of this platform. I have read all kinds of things on the interweb (everything is true, right?) about Sig's 1911s are not really 1911s and so on. Are they worth a look for a future purchase? Is it a waste of money that can be spent on a Kim.......uhm, I mean DW, STI, EB, WC, LB, ect...?

I like the look of their "Compact" model, therefor I ask the knowledgeable Cotepeans here.

Asking for Honest Opinions on here is like asking to be bullied.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have shot most of them. I really like the sig nightmare. For the same money though you can pick up a guardian.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Did you think we would give you dishonest answers?

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
I have shot most of them. I really like the sig nightmare. For the same money though you can pick up a guardian.
Hey bud, totally forgot to call you. Ate dinner, started to watch a movie, interupted it. Will hit you up tomorrow or Sunday.

I do like the guardian a lot.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
Did you think we would give you dishonest answers?
Have you heard of and ?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I've got a SIG GSR. yes it has an external extractor, so it's not a "purist's" version of a 1911, but the design is rock solid, as its performance. It's easily the most accurate in my inventory, service dept is great, and it's built like a tank. It was one of the original 1911 rail guns, and people thought it was just plain butt ugly. That said, no ftf, fte, for failures of any kind. You won't hear a complaint about Sig 1911's from me. (Oh... and there are no mim parts in mine, but mine is an early model. they might be using mim now.)
Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Kimber botched the external extractors by making them too short. Instead of correcting them they just ditched them. I primarily blame Kimber for the bad rap external extractors have gotten.

I have a Dan Wesson with an external extractor and have no complaints. I have two Sig 1911s and I love them. I have never had any extraction issues. Zilch Zero Nada.

The grip screws are torx. They use the Series 80 firing pin block. The top profile on a Sig 1911 is more square than a traditional 1911, making the slide a little heftier. (They have a line of round-top 1911s for the purists)

Other than that, everything is pretty much standard 1911 as far as I can tell.

Both of mine came with very tight slides.

That was when Kimber lost me for good. I was well aware of the problem when is was ongoing and had two friends who got no response from them. I know they have straightened it out, just have a sour taste from all that. Guess if I know all the problems that have haunted guns over the years I would have to empty my safe. That's why I say If you like a gun buy it and make it work.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
I'm only interested in their "compact / CCO" model, the others look too "tactical" for my taste.
I was very skeptical of a compact 1911, what with all the horror stories of the Ghost of JMB haunting anyone that dared to tinker with his creation in such a unorthodox manner ROFL.

But my Sig Ultra Compact is an extraordinarily reliable pistol. It's right up there with my DW, maybe even a tad more reliable in fact.

The only problem I have is when I use Government/Commander length 8 round mags loaded to capacity. They sometimes bind the slide on the first round. Loaded to 7 rounds they are flawless. Since they are technically IMPROPER mags for the gun, I guess I can't complain too loudly.

I just fell in love with the little bugger on first sight, and after shooting it I loved it even more!

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 PM
COTEP Member

I have no experience with Sig 1911s. Of course, lack of knowledge, experience, or general common sense has never kept me from posting before and it won't now, either.

Personally, I don't care for the Sig-profile slide or the external extractor. I know they make a traditional slide, and I know the external extractor is supposed to be gee-whiz wonderful, but there it is. There are just too many other guns out there I'd rather have and don't have yet.

The only Sig in the house is my wife's P938. It's a solid, reliable little gun. With a blocky slide and an external extractor.

CBOB0715