COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default 7mm Rem Mag

I have a chance to pick up a scoped bolt rifle in 7mm through a trade. I don't knowe the rifle perticulars yet but, sounds intrresting.

I ask you guys if that round is worth messing with?... I don't plan on hunting with it, maybe just some longer range plinking.

Or should I shrug that caliber off and wait for a 308?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Caleb; 09-16-2014 at 02:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:
sdmc530 (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM
COTEP Member

.308....versatile...hunt/combat/target
7mm mag......niche round, to me good for Elk, expensive. Had a 7mm mag. In 2008 a young Marine up in SC asked me how much I wanted for it. I handed it to him and told him he had done enough. Hated that rifle, about broke my shoulder. Got it for a favor, gave it away for Service. Winner for me.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I say go for it. We by we I mean my FIL and myself have one we share. Its a Savage and its AWESOME. Its a hard hitting round and lots of fun. I got my first scope cut with this rifle. We don't use it alot for hunting because its way overpowered for deer but will reach out a ways. I like it, its a fun gun. I would say its a great long range range gun if you have money dieing to spend some money!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

I bought two of them about 28 or 29 years ago, I hated both of them. I was stupid enough to buy the second one after the fact. I'm pretty skinny,(5'11, 130 pounds),I just wasn't strong enough to handle the recoil. I got a scope cut over my eye also. I shot one on them resting on the hood of a newly repainted 1973 454 Chevy pickup, it blew off a stripe of paint all the way across the hood. For some people I'm sure the gun would be just great, just not for small people. I never even got them sighted in, they kicked so damn hard.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlutz View Post
I bought two of them about 28 or 29 years ago, I hated both of them. I was stupid enough to buy the second one after the fact. I'm pretty skinny,(5'11, 130 pounds),I just wasn't strong enough to handle the recoil. I got a scope cut over my eye also. I shot one on them resting on the hood of a newly repainted 1973 454 Chevy pickup, it blew off a stripe of paint all the way across the hood. For some people I'm sure the gun would be just great, just not for small people. I never even got them sighted in, they kicked so damn hard.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I just can't say enough bad things about those experiments!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlutz View Post
I just can't say enough bad things about those experiments!
That sh*t's so I'm crying.....that story is going to the firepit up in SC......rednecks gonna cry too.....

Old 09-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

7mm, Texas 22. I love my 7mm mags. They are very flat shooting. No noticeable recoil. I still have them but have pretty much hung them up in favor of 338 for hunting. You could probably shoot all the way across Florida with one.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
You could probably shoot all the way across Florida with one.
NO Doubt!

Watch the paint too
Old 09-16-2014, 05:55 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
7mm, Texas 22. I love my 7mm mags. They are very flat shooting. No noticeable recoil. I still have them but have pretty much hung them up in favor of 338 for hunting. You could probably shoot all the way across Florida with one.
No noticeable recoil???? Whattayou, Ivan Putski?