COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM
COTEP Member

Default Favorite pistol powder

What are your favorite pistol powders and why are they your favorites? Can you find them easily at this time?

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

HP-38 - very economical - Can't find it
Unique - very versitile - Can't find it
Trail Boss - fills up the case and is very consistent as a result - Can find it.

I started off using Trail Boss with just cast because that's what it was designed for, but turns out it works fine with jacketed too.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

W231. has better luck getting his testicles back than I do of finding this powder. What I WANT is VV N310 or N320 for self defense rounds
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 09-17-2014, 08:39 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
W231. has better luck getting his testicles back than I do of finding this powder. What I WANT is VV N310 or N320 for self defense rounds

I guess the answer is whatever is on the shelf.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 PM
COTEP Member

I see three of us are in the same boat.....so far......I had a possible on some W231...hasn't shown up yet, and doesn't look good. The source is reliable, they are getting screwed around too. Word is hoarders are buying and storing. I have some, hardly hoarder volume. Gun shows might be the high priced way to go, unless friends in outer states ship it in and we pay the high price of shipping powder as a Hazmat. This really sucks, I could always get powder from two sources, both only have black powder now. And not much of that for muzzleloaders.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

231 is my 45 load fav...I have about 11lbs on hand but still hard to find. Autocomp is a newer powder, works well for 45 and the 10MM....easy to find right now but $30 is getting to spendy IMO.....
Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
231 is my 45 load fav...I have about 11lbs on hand but still hard to find. Autocomp is a newer powder, works well for 45 and the 10MM....easy to find right now but $30 is getting to spendy IMO.....
$30 is about right for 231, over here. Just got an email that Midway has IMR4227 on hand. I think that is mostly for magnum or rifle loads but can be used for pistol if ya got the knowhow.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 PM
COTEP Member

W231 but haven't seen it in a while. Don't have a pressing need for more so I will wait. I also use Trailboss for 38-40 WCF loads but have been seeing more and more loads for it for more standard calibers like .38, .45 and such. I find H110 at the show I went to and they had a bunch. I used it for 300 Blackout. I haven't seen any AR powder and have put off buying a set of 5.56 dies because of that. No since in getting the dies till I have powder to load in it.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

AFAIK, Trailboss is great, almost impossible to have a doublecharge,but meters like hammered dog crap
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
AFAIK, Trailboss is great, almost impossible to have a doublecharge,but meters like hammered dog crap
In that case we should buy some for .....