COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Cool Nightforce NXS

Hey all:

I could sure use some help here! I am a bit confused after looking at various websites regarding the NXS series of scopes.

I was considering the following versions of the Nightforce scopes if they are in fact offered this way.

5.5-22x50 NXS Zero Stop NP-R1 Illuminated recticle not sure on .250moa or .1 Mil Radian? suggestions would be nice.

8-32x50 NXS Zero Stop NP-R1 Illuminated recticle .250 moa or .1 Mil Radian?

3.5-15x50 NXS F1 Zero Stop NP-R1 Illuminated recticle .250 moa or .1 Mil Radian?

If anyone knows if these configurations are offered online i sure would appreciate the link.

Been looking on www.opticsplanet.com and the top heading says illuminated recticle, go to the middle of the page where you can select the options and i cannot find these scopes offered with an illuminated recticle with Zero Stop.

Any help or clarifications would be appreciated! TIA

Weapon: LMT308MWS x 2, Timney Trigger, WCI Titanium Muzzle Brake, LMT FDE Sopmod, FDE Ergo Grip, UTG Folding Billet Aluminum Forearm Grip, Magpul Pmag 20LR, Magpul FDE MS2 Multi Position Sling.

Scopes: Burris Eliminator Laserscope, Nightforce 5-22x50 NXS with Zerostop Turrets.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'll give a quick response now before fallsing asleep. All NXS non-bench rest Nightforce scopes come with an illuminated reticle as standard.

All NXS non-bench rest scopes come with zero stop as an option.

All NXS series scopes come with turret adjustments of 1/4 MOA or .1mil rad adjustment.

Optics Planet may only list some options available.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thank you for the clarification my friend.

What click ratio do you prefer?

Weapon: LMT308MWS x 2, Timney Trigger, WCI Titanium Muzzle Brake, LMT FDE Sopmod, FDE Ergo Grip, UTG Folding Billet Aluminum Forearm Grip, Magpul Pmag 20LR, Magpul FDE MS2 Multi Position Sling.

Scopes: Burris Eliminator Laserscope, Nightforce 5-22x50 NXS with Zerostop Turrets.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

What is your primary use for the scope? What rifle?
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil

DW Valor, EMP .40, Sig p238, H&K USP/C .40, LWRC M6A3/Elcan DR, etc., etc.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

LMT308MWS, targets at the range & hunting at around 50-150 yards. Thinking about the 5.5-22x50 or 5.5-22x56 with zero stop. But which would be better? .250 MOA or .1Mil Radian?

I've used 1/8 and 1/4 what's the difference with .1mil radian? I know there is a premium for .1mil radian and could make a better decision if I knew the difference. TIA

Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpawmark View Post
LMT308MWS, targets at the range & hunting at around 50-150 yards. Thinking about the 5.5-22x50 or 5.5-22x56 with zero stop. But which would be better? .250 MOA or .1Mil Radian?

I've used 1/8 and 1/4 what's the difference with .1mil radian? I know there is a premium for .1mil radian and could make a better decision if I knew the difference. TIA
Hey Southpawmark,

This is a really complex topic, and I'll try to point you toward some information so you can make an informed decision about this expensive purchase.

Background reading: http://demigodllc.com/articles/pract...ing-equipment/
http://demigodllc.com/articles/intro...le-scopes/?p=1

My opinion: Your stated use (close-mid range shooting) is not a good match for any of the scopes you have listed, unless you will be trying to hit minuscule targets (2-4").

I would go with a red dot or a 1-4x optic for 50-150 yds., and at most an 8x top end.

Those high mag scopes are for 1000+ yard precision shooting, varmint, or benchrest. You need a low mag, wide field of view for 50 yards.

I strongly prefer a matched reticle and knob system, so I can range, holdover, and correct in the same angular units as my knobs (mil/mil). A mil/moa system makes no sense to me unless you are so used to moa that you do the calculations in your sleep.

I'm happy to answer more questions as needed, and to recommend particular optics if you like.

Cheers
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil

Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I agree completely with iGun on this. Magnification really isn't needed at this range unless the targets are small. A 1-4 zoom or a ACOG should allow you make easy hits at inside of 150 yards.

Irons are another viable option. I was making hits (offhand) on an 18" target at 150 or so (the battery in my rangefinder died) yards with three different battle rifles yesterday.

I forgot to add that zero stop is mostly helpful for very long range shooting. It makes it easier to return it back to zero after turning it multiple full rotations. Mine doesn't have it.

Last edited by Grizzman; 09-18-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you are in the market for a $2k optic, here's a possibility:
http://www.elcansightingsystems.com/...ole_sights.php

I have an Elcan Specter DR 1-4x in 5.56. It was worth every penny. The 1.5-6x 7.62 optic looks like the perfect match for what you are planning on doing with this rifle.
COTEP #0381
--Dr. Evil

Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Appreciate all the help and assistance. It will be a nightforce scope due to my astigmatism in my eye. I tried the Eotech and other brand of red dot sights which worked for me out to 50 yards. Could not get the benefit of these sights past 50 yards.

Astigmatism is not bad, but it is enough to have me pick up the nightforce NXS.

Decided on the 5.5-22x56 NXS .250moa with Zero Stop. I have the red dot mounted at the 1 o'clock position for close shots and will mount the ND3 Laser Designator above the scope for night illumination.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this decision.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I love the 5.5x22 NXS I have several of them all mounted on heavy rifles. Here is the one I use on lighter rifles. http://nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_O...10x32_nxs.html

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414