COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > COTEP University > AR Skool

Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default AR Doctrines 101 Class

It has been discussed and there has been some interest of an AR Build Class. Bass Ackwards did give a slight maybe that he would do this.

In a nut shell...

The idea of this class would be to take most all of the vaious parts for an AR and over time build a rifle with other COTEP.org members.

Should Bass agree to accept this mission, he will have to put together the details of the rifle. This would include Price (Hopefully no more than $700 to start with) various parts to be used, class schedule for meeting and a brief understanding of his goal for the rifle (i.e. solid base model that you could ultimately modify yourself overtime or in future classes.)

This class would encourage discussion but not arguing whether a part is MIM or not. In other words, a student agrees to listen and only the opinion of the professor goes. Now it may be he will provide alternative parts for those like who have more money then they can spend; but it is the goal to allow students to spend a minimum amout to get a decent rifle.

By the way, parts. I would think we should consider buying parts from the person running the class. In this case, Bass works at a gun store. Or maybe a list is made of the parts and we all spread-out to find the best deal. We all then could buy from the same source and maybe get a discount. Is there a good FFL in COTEP who isnt a wiz at making money!?

If you are interested in participating please post an "Im in" below or if your "Im mim" with a recent picture of your face with out anyone else in the photo!

If you would like to make some suggestions or ideas for this first class please make them. Hopefully this will workout and we can get started by mid June for the first parts

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I'm in! I own several AR's but don't know anything about building one. I know they are allot like 1911, a collection of parts.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'm in. How might this go down like a how to forum or are you thinking meet here on Wed 8/7c kind of thing?
Cotep #464

Just living life and appreciating every day
Old 05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I am in!
COTEP #373

Our intentions do not always predicate our actions, but we own the consequences nevertheless.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

, aren't you the one that told me your wife won't let buy No More Guns until next year??????????

I Am In.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Im hoping we can have a chat-box that will allow some interaction with all the class members and mimber (if participates, LOL!) maybe at a predetermined time. This could be like at the most agreeable time, then those who miss could just pull up the chat-box and posts to hear what was discussed.

From a selfish standpoint, I would like to learn the what and why's of all the various parts, different manufacturers, and little tid-bits that will help me understand them more completely. The fun part would be taking our time and going one piece at a time and at the end a new rifle! The duration would depend on the interest and discussion depth.

This would be open discussion and not debate. Whoever the professor will be (man i hope somebody will step to the plate) will be the "expert" opinion. I have seen that AR Opinions are like the crucible of opinions and this could get bogged down quickly.

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
, aren't you the one that told me your wife won't let buy No More Guns until next year??????????

I Am In.

Shhhhhh! She doesnt need to know everything !!!

Thanks !

ps Where's Knott???

Old 05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

I think Dk is wearing the Apron today and doing Laundry and Dishes........

BTW This is the First good thing you thought of since you asked your wife to marry you..............
Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'll guess I'll add that I'll be participating in this endeavor also.

Luckily in most cases, the principles behind the build process are identical no matter which manufacturer makes the components. All barrels are attached in the same manner. All lower parts kits (triggers, safeties, take down pins, etc) are installed the same, with exceptions for some aftermarket units.

It shouldn't be overly difficult to show the installation of both a carbine length 5 position buffer tube (with any mil-spec stock sliding onto it) and an A2 stock. The same should be true with a standard front sight post gas block in addition to a low profile gas block to be installed under free float hand guards.

Speaking of hand guards, this will likely be the most challenging aspect of the class. Except for standard hand guards, each design is installed differently. Directions are included with the hand guards, and they're all pretty easy to install....just different.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Im not in but will help if you guys need it. In my opinion ARs are pretty straight forward. I think the biggest thing will be getting "adequate" tools for people to use. If you get all of the proper tools to build one you are looking at $100 to start off. Trust me buy the best out there I bough cheap then bought again. I have some various tools that I would be willing to lend out like a lower block and stock wrench. My uncle has the upper block and barrel wrench.

I think the hardest part will be streaming video somehow. But a good set of detailed directions would help. I think it would also be beneficial to show some helpful tips like using vice grips to push certain roll pins in to avoid marring your finish, watch out for flying detents, and make sure the disconnector spring is installed right to avoid full auto things like that.

You surely dont have to have the right tools, hell I put my first lower together with vice grips, a screw driver, claw hammer, razor blade, and cutting board but having the right tools sure does help.