COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > COTEP University > AR Skool

Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This may be an opportunity for fellow forum members to sell (or get rid of) some unwanted spare AR parts in the new classifieds section.

I've got some serviceable take-off parts that have been cluttering my parts drawer for too many years, and it's likely that numerous others here have a lot more.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you want to buy the tools to make an AR build easier, heres the rundown...

Upper vise block $49.95
Multi wrench tool $24.95
Roll pin punches $4.99-49.99

You can do it without those tools, but they make it easier. You will need a small hammer, set of pliers/channel locks, painters tape, some sort of punches, and a castle nut wrench. A vise can be a life saver, with or without the upper vise block.

Bill
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I am in no way an expert on AR's, and I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all, but I built 4 AR's (and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once) last year with my four sons. I bought complete uppers, so my comments regard the lowers only.

If you look on AR15.com you can find pretty explicit directions, and photo's. It would be a good idea to read as much as possible, and familiarize yourself with the lower reciever parts kit, as some of the springs look pretty similar.

Of the things that can go wrong and is probably the worst thing that can happen during the build is appying too much force on the rear ears of the lower reciever where the trigger guard goes. When you are driving the pin in, you could actually break an ear off.

When driving in the bolt catch pin, if you aren't careful or don't use masking or duct tape to protect the finish you could scratch the lower reciever. Don't ask me how I know. "Nuff said.

If you aren't familiar with the springs or don't use a photo that shows the spring/name you could install a spring in the wrong location, then you will have to drive out the pin that most likely retains the spring to get the springs in the right locations.

To me the most important tools to own are are a small hammer and roll pin punch's. Everything else you can probably borrow.

I think this is a great thing Bass is doing and I will be interested in his lesson on building the upper reciever.

Regards,

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwardz View Post
If you want to buy the tools to make an AR build easier, heres the rundown...

Upper vise block $49.95
Multi wrench tool $24.95
Roll pin punches $4.99-49.99

You can do it without those tools, but they make it easier. You will need a small hammer, set of pliers/channel locks, painters tape, some sort of punches, and a castle nut wrench. A vise can be a life saver, with or without the upper vise block.

Bill
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well considering that the last post was May of last year I don't think that this is going to happen.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This thread seems to be a bit played out, but I'm hoping to revive it. I've always wanted an AR, but it was not at the top of my priority list, so I don't have one yet. However, since land is banning the sale and import of AR's on 10/1, the necessity to build one rose to the top of my list. I just bought 2 Lower receivers which I have in my hand, and 2 parts kits, one of which I already installed. Pretty straight forward build, YouTube helps a lot.
But now I'm concentrating on gathering parts for the upper receiver and barrel assembly, and not sure exactly what I want, or how to do it. So many ways to build it, and so many different parts and manufacturers, it's a nightmare for a newbie to AR's.
I said I bought 2 lower receivers. I want one for short range rifle with a Red Dot sight, or EOT, or something, and the other I want for a long range rifle. If and when the SHTF, I want to be ready for whatever comes along.
Any takers in explaining, or helping me out, or anyone else with the same idea?
Certified in Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Shotgun Shell Reloading
Utah CCW holder
Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Aim Small, Miss Small.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

There's about any option, caliber, length, etcetcetc. BARREL has to be 16.1" min or you get to apply for stamp. Here's a link: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

You will probably have to sign up for membership but there's also most of the mfgr's on this site too.

Goo luck, uppers are only a little more diff to build than a lower. Probably takes longer to figure out/find what you want
Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
This thread seems to be a bit played out, but I'm hoping to revive it. I've always wanted an AR, but it was not at the top of my priority list, so I don't have one yet. However, since land is banning the sale and import of AR's on 10/1, the necessity to build one rose to the top of my list. I just bought 2 Lower receivers which I have in my hand, and 2 parts kits, one of which I already installed. Pretty straight forward build, YouTube helps a lot.
But now I'm concentrating on gathering parts for the upper receiver and barrel assembly, and not sure exactly what I want, or how to do it. So many ways to build it, and so many different parts and manufacturers, it's a nightmare for a newbie to AR's.
I said I bought 2 lower receivers. I want one for short range rifle with a Red Dot sight, or EOT, or something, and the other I want for a long range rifle. If and when the SHTF, I want to be ready for whatever comes along.
Any takers in explaining, or helping me out, or anyone else with the same idea?
Check out psa. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ you can get complete uppers if your wanting to. I have bought 3 or 4 from them. Plus they have a great deal on ten pmags and a lpk. I have two of my rifles topped with aimpoint comp m2's bought off ebay for decent prices.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
There's about any option, caliber, length, etcetcetc. BARREL has to be 16.1" min or you get to apply for stamp. Here's a link: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

You will probably have to sign up for membership but there's also most of the mfgr's on this site too.

Goo luck, uppers are only a little more diff to build than a lower. Probably takes longer to figure out/find what you want

Ron, you can have a 14.5 inch barrel as long as the flash hider/comp is pinned to the barrel. That is what I have on mine.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA Shooter View Post
Ron, you can have a 14.5 inch barrel as long as the flash hider/comp is pinned to the barrel. That is what I have on mine.
Or a ten in with a six in flash hider.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks for the info, guys. I just picked up my lower receivers, and while I save some money, I have time to decide how I want to build them. One will be for short range, and one for longer range. I''m just trying to do all my homework on what's available to help make my decision.
Certified in Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Shotgun Shell Reloading
Utah CCW holder
Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Aim Small, Miss Small.