COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 05-21-2021, 05:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 05-21-2021, 07:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Must be me. That does nothing for me.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:59 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post

OK.... I'll admit that one is a bit more on the "school uniformish" side.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:29 PM
COTEP Member

Quick Update: Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 win acquired via Gunbroker Auction!

It was touch and go, actually, as these are in very heavy demand. I actually lost the first auction I tried last night. And today, I discovered why.

When you're looking to price the item properly on Gunbroker, pay attention to the "buy now" prices being offered on the system... not just the "initial bid" auction prices. You will, more than likely, be paying the "buy now" price anyway, as that's the going rate for the item in the general market. The item I bid on yesterday kept getting jacked up to the point where it was almost $1400.00, so I let it go. Today, I saw this same model/unit for auction for $1026.00, with about 2hrs remaining in the auction. I bid on it with 20 min. left in the auction. But when putting in my bid I was advised it was "insufficient," and I needed to add more. I did (more than it said on the listing). And I was good for about 5 min. and then I was "outbid." I added a counter bid and was, again, told it as insufficient. I kept bidding until I got the "successful" bid sign again. But, but that time, it had gotten up to $1320.00... which is what I think the merchant wanted to sell it for in the first place.

So don't go by those initial bid prices. Find the same model with a "buy now" price to see what you'll really pay. Simply because I think the merchant has "ghost buyers" that are jacking up the bids to the merchant's desired selling price. And I have to check with Gunbroker because I think some of those bids were "silent" (i.e. not reported on the system) and only known to you when you try to "counter bid" and it comes up "insufficient."

I'll advise once the item is delivered. Next task is acquiring the right FFP scope for it.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Congrats!!!! Looks awesome can’t wait for you to get it. Nice!!!!!
Old 05-22-2021, 09:20 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Congratulations. I have heard several people reporting that there are a lot of scammers on gunbroker right now. Bid with caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2021, 09:57 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Congratulations. I have heard several people reporting that there are a lot of scammers on gunbroker right now. Bid with caution.

This particular merchant has high A+ ratings and endorsements. I just talked with a rep on the phone. They seemed rather helpful. No worries.

I wasn't as concerned about the bidding process, because the worst that could happen is that I'd lose an auction. No sweat... no money spent yet... And, if it gets to be too high, I just withdraw. No real loss. If I win (at my price point), so much the better. Then I worry about them shipping. We'll see what happens on Monday.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:19 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I got my frame on gunbroker. I found if they have a good feedback and lots of sales and most of the legit sellers on there have brick and mortar stores too. They all have websites so yeah, you can do fine on gunbroker but the scammers are thick on there too. Gunbroker is a fail in sense they don't protect the buyers like fleabay does. But I have purchased aboout 40 things off gunbroker and only had one bad interaction myself.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:27 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Agreed... it’s those “new” sellers you have to worry about really. But you never know.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:06 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I got my frame on gunbroker. I found if they have a good feedback and lots of sales and most of the legit sellers on there have brick and mortar stores too. They all have websites so yeah, you can do fine on gunbroker but the scammers are thick on there too. Gunbroker is a fail in sense they don't protect the buyers like fleabay does. But I have purchased aboout 40 things off gunbroker and only had one bad interaction myself.

Absolutely. So far, all of my purchases have been positive. And I make sure to leave them A+ reviews and they reciprocate in kind. In the case of this rifle, the seller had over 5000+ A+ reviews and was one of their top sellers. I also called them this morning and they answered quickly and were very friendly. I was told I'd see tracking info by Monday. We'll see.