COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room > Help Me Fix My Gun

Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM
COTEP Member

Exclamation My CBOB is not playing nice

Purchased a DW CBOB earlier this week from a private party who'd bought it as part of a collection. Shell Casing Collected: 06/05/08.

For myself, this is my 4th 1911, the other 3 are 2 STI's (45 and 9MM) and a Para Ord SSP (45).

Have had two range days with over 240 rounds and have experienced a problem with hammer follow. Visual examination did not reveal any glaring parts wear. Did a thorough cleaning of the disconnector area as it was sticking down, but would move with a touch of the trigger. Movement was restored so I went out for the 2nd range day to continue testing.

Problem reoccurred today after about 60 rounds.

We're going to replace the disconnector/sear/mainspring.

A contributing problem is that this particular gun has passed thru 2 hands, that we know of, so much of the history is lost or just "not sure". When this CBOB is funtioning correctly (as it was immediately after the cleaning) it is a tack driver. So, this minor hiccup won't stop me from having another fine pistol.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good source for parts? Someone at the range today mentioned EGW. I have a good friend who's been helping me along with the problem resolution who'll also "teach" me how to be "more smarter" about 1911's and suggested I ask here for sources for the correct parts.

NRA Member
VietNam Vet. Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 MSgt, U.S. Air Force (TTK, IBBA, SACmasized, Plank Owner USSPACECOM).

CBOB 0650
Dan Wesson CBOB 08 build.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

EGW or many other Good sources of Quality Parts, buy them Brownelles if you decide on them........

Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

You might look at Cylinder and Slide parts I hear nothing but good things about them.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

EGW, Cylinder and Slide, Wilson, Ed Brown... There are lots of good 1911 parts out there. I can't look at Brownell's site right now (site is blocked at my job), but if I recall correctly (and that's a big "if"), I think they sell some entire ignition parts packages from some of the better manufacturers in the biz. Try to get good tool steel parts so they can be stoned a little if you decide to get a trigger job done later.

Jason
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
COTEP Member

Since the CBOB uses many Ed Brown components, it would be logical to purchase their products for replacement. A good idea to get some other items (firing pin, recoil spring, etc) in the same shipment as you never know and I'd rather have the backups sitting in a drawer then in someone's storehouse.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that price difference between Ed Brown and Brownell's for the same product is just pennies different. Go with the man.

NRA Member
VietNam Vet. Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 MSgt, U.S. Air Force (TTK, IBBA, SACmasized, Plank Owner USSPACECOM).

CBOB 0650
Dan Wesson CBOB 08 build.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

I would suggest the Cylinder&Slide MARSOC kit. Gives a nice,crisp 4lb. pull drop-in. Very high quality parts.