COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Yesterday I picked up the frame. As you can see you can never start any project no matter how big or small without the proper nourishment.

The frame is a new G17 Gen 3 frame. Not a fan of the Gen 4 frame, just a personal preference but there she is. As you can see I did install the magazine release, nothing earth shattering there by any means.

I will update the project as it goes along. I have a ton of parts on order and yet to order so this will take some time. The next parts in will be springs, pins and things like that. I have the Slide on Back Order with Lone Wolf so won't do much until that arrives. Then just the smalls and the barrel. I am going to do this in stages, frame first, slide second, then barrel and fine tuning stuff. FYI the completed Glock is 35 parts. My goal is to be completed by April 15th. (tax day is a big deal at my house)

I know we have some Glock haters in house but I hope you enjoy the process anyways. If nothing else I hope you can get a laugh out of it at some point and some good ribbing in.

Anyways here is the beginning!
Looks like a great project
If you run into any problems, give a call or send a PM.
Are you going to do anything to the grip (remove finger groves, undercut respite or cover etc)?
Adding a magwell, Have you decided on a trigger? Sights or red dot?
This can be a fun project

This was one of my first projects on a G17 Gen3 Changes the grip and it can take mag from 19 and up, Slide cuts, Red Dot (everyone at the time said Red Dot on a Glock....Silly....... now it is the best thing.... in the Optic/Caryy devision.

Finish is Fail Zero

Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by girphoto View Post
Looks like a great project
If you run into any problems, give a call or send a PM.
Are you going to do anything to the grip (remove finger groves, undercut respite or cover etc)?
Adding a magwell, Have you decided on a trigger? Sights or red dot?
This can be a fun project

This was one of my first projects on a G17 Gen3 Changes the grip and it can take mag from 19 and up, Slide cuts, Red Dot (everyone at the time said Red Dot on a Glock....Silly....... now it is the best thing.... in the Optic/Caryy devision.

Boom, that thing is BA!! Thanks, I will PM you if I ever need anything.
The grip, you know I will probably leave alone...I have big hands and I like the finger grooves in the front...wont mess with that. Wouldn't mind trying a rubber wrap on it. This will be a range gun only so that I might explore in the end.

I am on the fence with the magwell, I have one on my STI and really like it so that is a great possibility. I like the ZEV stuff.

Sights, will see how the budget looks, if I can swing it yes, red dot all the way, Burris Fast Fire II is on my wish list...will see. Might have to put sights on it for a while first and wait on that.

Trigger, I got a NDZ kit. I liked 's suggestion A LOT but it too was a bit spendy. I will save the money there and hope to finish the gun faster. I Like the actual stock trigger itself but have a 3.5 connector kit coming. It was reasonably priced so will see if that is good.

So many options for Glock its crazy, like the 1911 50 people making the parts to choose from.

Last edited by sdmc530; 01-26-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Got some parts!!

Got some parts today, pins, trigger set up, grip plug, the bar and slide release. So in effect the frame will not be complete. I hope to have time to get it all set up and installed by end of weekend and I will have the bottom half ready to rock. I opted to skip magwell for now.

Anyways I had a revelation well a buddy did. I would like your thoughts....I am still a bit torn between the 9mm vs. .40 debate. I don't have either for a personal gun. But a buddy of mine here said well you dumb ass, get the G24 set up. That is the Long slide version of the .40 and all you have to then do is purchase the 9mm conversion barrel and a magazine and then for an additional $125 you will have both a .40 and a 9mm in one gun. Instead of being a 17L it would be a 24. Both according to Lone Wolf have the same slide length.

Thoughts?? Makes sense but other opinions are always good.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

9mm ammo is easier to find, and based on what I've seen, generally cheaper than 40 S&W. I've never seen the mystic of 40 S&W either.

Why not go big boy and go 45ACP?

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

get both barrels. like Michael said 9mm is cheap. plus you get free .40 from work.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
9mm ammo is easier to find, and based on what I've seen, generally cheaper than 40 S&W. I've never seen the mystic of 40 S&W either.

Why not go big boy and go 45ACP?
Yep but 40 is free to me so no issues finding it. Also I have 6 45 so don't really have a great passion for another is want something different this time

I understand what you are saying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. View Post
get both barrels. like Michael said 9mm is cheap. plus you get free .40 from work.
Yeah I was hoping my logic is solid on this
Old 01-28-2016, 11:25 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Get both and rock out with you out.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
Get both and rock out with you out.
ahhhhh YEAH rock out with your ---- out...YEAH

thanks for your opinion though appreciate it!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:38 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

ewwww...what the hell are you going to be doing with this pistol????
Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

This build thread has re-sparked my desire to build up an M&P. Time to go look at my options.