COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default Modifications to Mossberg 500 Tactical

Hey all,

I have a few questions about what I'm wanting to do to my Mossberg 500 Tactical and was hoping the collective experience here will help me make the "right" decisions.

Right now I have Mossberg 500 Tactical (as stated above) http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...l-6-shot/50420

What I'm looking at doing #1:
- Removing the adjustable stock and pistol grip then adding a "birdshead grip".

Why am I doing this?
1. I've read that it reduces the feel of the recoil
2. Reduce the length since this is primarily my home defense weapon
3. I am a right handed with a blind right eye. Now when I go shooting with my AR-15, I actually shoot left handed for aiming purposes. With my handguns I've taught myself to shoot right handed while aiming with left eye (not ideal but since I'm right handed I do not want to try to draw my CCW with a left hand).

When it come to a shotgun I've found the pistol grip to be better for me if I need it quickly, as in, i have been woken up in the middle of the night. Reason being, I can hold the gun out some and aim better then from the shoulder.

4. I think it looks awesome (being honest here )

Questions here:
What are your thoughts on this kind of grip? Are they worth it? Better than a pistol grip? Brand recommendations?

What I'm looking at doing #2:
- Adding a sidesaddle ammo carrier

Questions here:
Should I go 4, 5 or 6? I'm leaning towards 4 since I've read that 5 and 6 could interfere with the forend. Also, if I need to reload my home defense shotgun quickly, I'm probably not going to have time to get more than a few in anyways (plus I probably would need to learn to use it better ). Brand recommendations?

What I'm looking at doing #3:
- Adding a muzzle brake

Why am I doing this?
1. I've read that it helps in close quarters
2. Read/seen YouTube reviews that it could help if a intruder tried to grab at the barrel (sharp edges at the tip)
3. I think it looks awesome (being honest here )

Questions here:
Is this something I should consider adding for a home defense shotgun? If so, what type? Brand recommendations?

Thanks for any advise. I'm also open to seeing what modifications or changes you've all made to a tactical shotgun.

Last edited by BlindEyeShooter; 08-13-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

IMHO before you make any Mods to it, shoot it and see how it handles for you, but shoot it more then once.....

Also remember if you wake up you are still groggy and which means less control of the gun.

I like the pistol grip myself, also don't need muzzle brake IMHO for slugs or double ott Buck shot..................

Buy the extension for the shell tube like the LEO uses, then no need for ammo carrier

Here is the shotgun you need to find yourself, Compact and lots of ammo:

Last edited by NAMVET72; 08-13-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
IMHO before you make any Mods to it, shoot it and see how it handles for you, but shoot it more then once.....
Thanks. I have shot this many, many times.

Quote:
Also remember if you wake up you are still groggy and which means less control of the gun.

I like the pistol grip myself, also don't need muzzle brake IMHO for slugs or double ott Buck shot..................
Agreed but based on room and hall sizes, I don't see any long risky shots being needed.

I've tried the pistol grips before. I was originally thinking a folding stock with pistol grip. Get the best of both worlds.

As for the muzzle brake. I'm not set on it yet. Just a thought as I am window shopping and researching right now.

Quote:
Buy the extension for the shell tube like the LEO uses, then no need for ammo carrier
Thought about this and would like to do it.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:19 PM
COTEP Member

@NAMVET72 that shotgun looks like exactly what I need!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Birdhead and pistol grips are illegal in CT, so I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I arrive in a FREE State. In my (limited) experience with shotguns and pistol grips, I'd recommend leaving the shoulder stock on. We think a "scattergun" will knock down everything, but the truth is, you still have to aim it, even at shorter distances. The spread on a 12 gauge at 10 feet really isn't "that" big. Yes, in the heat of the moment.... you can still miss with a shotgun.

I would concur with Doc on the tube extension rather than a saddlebag. I found that they get in my way, while keeping 7 or 8 in the tube works just fine thank you very much.

Muzzle brake: Aside from maybe looking good, especially those door opener ones with the sharp corners.... you can expect a louder report when the gun is fired, as the gasses are coming out the sides. If you fire it inside the house without "ears on".... you're still going to have ringing ears for a couple hours, but the muzzle brake will make it even louder.
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:

Here is the shotgun you need to find yourself, Compact and lots of ammo:

OOOPS! ... That shotgun is illegal in Connecticut also. Too many rounds!
SA Micro Compact

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 PM
COTEP Member

Let me throw one more thing into the mix here. I am a right handed with a blind right eye. Now when I go shooting with my AR-15, I actually shoot left handed for aiming purposes. With my handguns I've taught myself to shoot right handed while aiming with left eye (not ideal but since I'm right handed I do not want to try to draw my CCW with a left hand).

When it come to a shotgun I've found the pistol grip to be better for me if I need it quickly, as in, i have been woken up in the middle of the night. Reason being, I can hold the gun out some and aim better then from the shoulder.

NOTE: Added this to my original post

Last edited by BlindEyeShooter; 08-13-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 PM
COTEP Member

What isn't illegal in Connecticut? I hear slingshots are nice...
Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindEyeShooter View Post
What isn't illegal in Connecticut? I hear slingshots are nice...
Slingshots are illegal there to, to many rubber bands............. Padre has to throw rocks..........

Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

My stones are registered with the State. Fact is.... they're so big they qualify as weapons.
SA Micro Compact