COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 PM
COTEP Member

Therein lies the issue...Long Range Precision Rifles need bull barrels due to the amount of rounds fired. They need to shoot under 1 moa groups constantly. I can tell you over the years I have heard people brag about submoa guns that when push came to shove wasnt'.......They always show a one hole 3 shot group under an inch, the best group they ever shot. That is not a submoa gun.....When they show a target with 5 5 shot groups on one target under 1 moa, then they have a true submoa gun.......Not as many guns out there that will do it.
- Samuel Adams
Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttbbob View Post
Therein lies the issue...Long Range Precision Rifles need bull barrels due to the amount of rounds fired. They need to shoot under 1 moa groups constantly. I can tell you over the years I have heard people brag about submoa guns that when push came to shove wasnt'.......They always show a one hole 3 shot group under an inch, the best group they ever shot. That is not a submoa gun.....When they show a target with 5 5 shot groups on one target under 1 moa, then they have a true submoa gun.......Not as many guns out there that will do it.
Yup Bull barrel will also reduce harmonics. My Savage Tactical .308 shot cloverleafs at 100, pie plates at 800 all day. But I can't handle those adjustable space gun looking stocks. Just can't
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 07-28-2015, 09:39 AM
COTEP Member

Cause you are old school like me......But I do have to tell you, you can custom fit them a lot easier than my McMillan stocks.........

But the otherside is a hand filling heavy stock just feels good to the touch.
- Samuel Adams
Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I too prefer wood and metal, never really liked the chassis stocks (looks wise). I have never tried one so, I'm open to it. This rifle is on my wish list for the future. Time to concentrate on ammo till after 2016.