COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Competition Shooting

Old 02-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

You want double carriers (2 mag) for IDPA.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Because you might grab an empty mag when reloading.

Ah, thank you, sir. That's where the confusion lies. I don't do IDPA so to me a tac (or tactical) reload is done only when there are rounds left in a mag.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 02-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 PM
COTEP Member

check out this maker, I use one for daily carry. Holds the mag just fine Here is a double mag carrier for a 1911

http://www.kytexgear.com/products-pa...e-mag-carrier/
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Ah, thank you, sir. That's where the confusion lies. I don't do IDPA so to me a tac (or tactical) reload is done only when there are rounds left in a mag.
Normally, yes. But any reload that is not from slidelock is a tactical reload, even if the mag is empty (but a round in the chamber). You don't want to use a partial mag in a match if you have full mags - you are allowed to carry extra mags in your pocket. And if you still have a full mag in the pouch, if you put a partial mag back in the pouch, you might accidentally grab it instead of the full mag on the next reload.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
You want double carriers (2 mag) for IDPA.

Not really, I do not like the minimal space between double mag pouches. If I can't do the quad, then three or four single pouches will do. A lot of the double pouches look like would not satisfy the 3/4" dowel between shooter and device/carrier.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
check out this maker, I use one for daily carry. Holds the mag just fine Here is a double mag carrier for a 1911

http://www.kytexgear.com/products-pa...e-mag-carrier/
Thank you. Kytex makes great products.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Ok. Well I initiated a return through Amazon prime. Now looking for single carrier options.
Good; quad mag pouches aren't allowed in IDPA.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 PM
COTEP Member

I ended up ordering a Fobus paddle double mag pouch, I've had Fobus before and the quality was good, made in Israel. We'll see. I also ordered two CMC 8rd power mags. I had previously ordered two 10rd power mags, but apparently I can't use them for IDPA as the gun won't fit in their "approved dimensions box". So I'll use those for home defense.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:34 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
I ended up ordering a Fobus paddle double mag pouch, I've had Fobus before and the quality was good, made in Israel. We'll see. I also ordered two CMC 8rd power mags. I had previously ordered two 10rd power mags, but apparently I can't use them for IDPA as the gun won't fit in their "approved dimensions box". So I'll use those for home defense.
You can use one of the 10 rounders as your "extra round loader" mag.

The IDPA load capacity for Custom Defense Pistol (CDP) which is the class you'll shoot your .45acp 1911 in; is "eight plus one."

So, you'll start by loading one round from your loader mag, remove that mag, then replace it with a fully loaded eight round mag.

You'll most likely want to keep it in your left hip pocket, a fully loaded eight rounder in your left front pocket, and two more eight rounders in your mag carrier.

That way, you'll start with the loader from the hip pocket for one round, then load the eight rounder from your left front pocket, which leaves the two eight rounders in the mag carrier readily accessible as you're shooting the stage.

Generally, you'll want to have three eight rounders, plus a loader mag, at a minimum, to shoot CDP.

The last two stages at today's IDPA match were limited, and took 24 rounds each to complete.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.

Last edited by Rick McC.; 02-18-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
You can use one of the 10 rounders as your "extra round loader" mag.

The IDPA load capacity for Custom Defense Pistol (CDP) which is the class you'll shoot your .45acp 1911 in; is "eight plus one."

So, you'll start by loading one round from your loader mag, remove that mag, then replace it with a fully loaded eight round mag.

You'll most likely want to keep it in your left hip pocket, a fully loaded eight rounder in your left front pocket, and two more eight rounders in your mag carrier.

That way, you'll start with the loader from the hip pocket for one round, then load the eight rounder from your left front pocket, which leaves the two eight rounders in the mag carrier readily accessible as you're shooting the stage.

Generally, you'll want to have three eight rounders, plus a loader mag, at a minimum, to shoot CDP.

The last two stages at today's IDPA match were limited, and took 24 rounds each to complete.
Thank you, great advice