COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Honor, Duty, Country

Old 04-13-2018, 03:50 PM
COTEP Member

Default WWII Vet Honored for Timberwolf Service

An aricle about my grandfather was in the paper the other day. Thought I would share.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/20180...erwolf-service

PANAMA CITY — When he walked into Granny Cantrell’s for his usual Wednesday morning breakfast, World War II veteran Charles Humphries was in for a surprise.

Humphries, 93, was honored on behalf of the National Timberwolf Pups Association, a group of children and other loved ones who pay tribute to World War II veterans who served in the 104th Infantry “Timberwolf” Division. Humphries, one of many U.S. Army troops who served in the 104th, was given memorabilia — including challenge coins, a hat and book about the Timberwolves — by his friend and fellow veteran Warren Brookhart.

“I’m totally surprised and charmed,” said Humphries, who meets other veterans for breakfast most Wednesday mornings at the Panama City restaurant. “I didn’t choose to be in the Timberwolves. They put me there. ... I was assigned to a machine gun unit. The machine gun made a lot more noise than I did.”

The Timberwolves were activated in 1942, in combat for 200 days and served missions throughout Europe, according to Army records. They also helped victims at a German concentration camp, according to other records. Humphries said in a 2016 interview with The News Herald he served in the Army for about 2½ years, from 1943 to 1945.

Although he underwent heavy artillery fire, being targeted by snipers and even suffered a collapsed lung, he escaped World War II with no major injuries.

Brookhart, who also usually attends the Wednesday breakfasts, arranged the presentation after talking to Humphries about his service in the 104th. Brookhart reached out to the Pups Association and said the 104th has an “unbelievable history.”

Humphries’ caregiver, Susie Skaggs, said he’s remarkable for his age since he can outwalk her when they go grocery shopping, while his daughter Peggy s said she was happy for her father.

“He’s very proud of the Timberwolves. He would always tell us stories, not of the bad things,” s said. “He’s just a fabulous father and always there to guide us. He gave us strong morals.”

Congressman Neal Dunn, R-Panama City, wasn’t able to make the ceremony because he was in Washington, D.C., but sent his regional director, Olivia Crosby, to read a letter of appreciation on his behalf. Dunn is an Army veteran and often handles veteran-related legislation.

“Congratulations on the recognition you are receiving on this special day,” Dunn wrote in the letter. “It has always been a special honor to spend time with you and all the Purple Heart recipients that gather at Granny Cantrell’s on Wednesday mornings. The history and legacy of the 104th Timberwolf Infantry Division is legendary. ... Charlie, your nation owes you a tremendous debt of gratitude.”
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gatorade For This Useful Post:
BlackKnight (04-13-2018), LittleGator (04-13-2018), MajO (04-13-2018), NAMVET72 (04-14-2018), Riverpigusmc (04-13-2018), RKP (04-14-2018), sdmc530 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 03:57 PM
COTEP Member

Also ran on Military.com with some comments about Major General Terry Allen and the timberwolfs.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/20...f-service.html

Last edited by Gatorade; 04-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM
COTEP Member

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 AM
COTEP Member

Outstanding, thank you for sharing and a big thank you to your dad for his service.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM
COTEP Member

What a great read about an outstanding man and a BIG congrats on the recognition he so justly received.
Only wish I could shake his hand and thank him for his service, sit and talk with him and buy him breakfast at Granny Cantrell’s.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:31 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Outstanding, thank you for sharing and a big thank you to your dad for his service.
He’s my grandfather. He loves telling stories. I will try to get a couple of his and post them.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell