COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default Appleseed AAR

BeerHunter and I took the Appleseed Project course this past weekend(1-5-19, 1-6-19). I have taken this course before so I kinda know what to expect but, It was a first for Greg. The shoot was packed with kids, teens, and adults. So, it was a great turn out. If you want to learn about this Project please, google Appleseed Project and read up on why they do what they do. The weekend weather was perfect and no excuses could be used for not doing your part because of it. The instructors were great and knowledgeable as well as patient with new shooters. If you did something wrong (unsafe), they were on you like white on rice. So, it was a great, safe experience.

First of all.... if you never shoot freehand with a sling, this course is eye opening and it’ll humble you right up, real quick. They spent about the first half of the first day making sure everyone was on paper and zero’d. Throughout the day we were taught how to stand, sit, and prone with sling use. Also, how to properly use a sling. All you need is a surplus M1 type canvas sling, no fancy magpul 36 point harness slings. Here are some zero targets.

So, once we were all zero’d with our rifles we moved on to shoot some targets. First was the “Red Coats” targets to see what level your shooting was. Here is my first target of the day.

As you can see, the groups were not bad but, definitely needed work to get on target. As the day went by, we had a lot of training and if you had an open mind you could see the improvements by applying what they taught you. We learned the real history of all the great men and women that can be credited for our liberty. Also, how riflemen became riflemen. We learned about NPOA or Natural Point Of Aim. Also, about the rifleman’s credence. Acquire your npoa then, breathe in, breathe out, natural pause, fire. And if you get good enough you can time your shot in between heart beats.

The second day was more focused on being able to shoot the AQT targets properly and accurately. We did a lot of shooting this day. Started off with some practice targets. The first row is shot 10rds standing. Second set of rows were shot from standing to sitting position. The last row was standing to prone. These were timed and at different set times. Here is one of the targets (I didn’t take a ton of pics as I was there really to learn, so I focused on that vs taking pics).

After lunch we got into shooting the AQT targets. These are the ones that count and you get scored on. You have to score at least 210 out of the 250 to earn a “Rifleman” badge. It’s not easy, trust me! There are four stages. The targets on this are mimicking 100, 200, 300, and 400 meters. So, the sizes get smaller and smaller!

1st stage is 10rds Standing on top row with 2 minutes to complete it. One mag.

2nd stage is 10rds (one 2rd mag and one 8rd mag) with mag change. Start by standing then when fire command is given, you drop to sitting, load first 2rd mag and shoot 5 rounds on each target on second row. Time is 55 seconds.

3rd stage is 10rds (2&8) with mag change. Start by standing and drop to prone when Fire command is given. Third row targets are shot 3 3 4 with 65 seconds.

4th stage is 10rds one mag shot prone 2 2 3 3. This stage is double points so 5 minutes is given to shoot accurately.

Then the scores are tallied to see if anyone scored Rifleman. We must of shot 6-8 AQT targets this day. Your highest score is what is recorded.

There must of been around 40 or so shooters (I didn’t actually count) and 37 of the rifles had scopes on them. Greg, this other guy, and myself were the only ones shooting iron sights. Although, scopes can exaggerate your unsteadiness, it’s way easier to see your target and POA. With The iron sights , your front post covers up most of the targets and is way more difficult to shoot accurately if your NPOA is off.

With that said, there were several scopes shooters that shot Rifleman this weekend. I also shot Rifleman (4 out of 6 AQT targets) with my irons. Greg got close but, unfortunately wasn’t able to pull it off (remember, this was his first time). I applaud him for going and doing as well as he did.

My scores were 210, 212, 214, and ,224. I’m stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAMVET72 (01-12-2019), Riverpigusmc (01-11-2019), RKP (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:50 PM
COTEP Member

Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 AM
COTEP Member

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Very interesting, and sounds like you had a great day as well !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:18 AM
COTEP Member

Default Appleseed AAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
https://appleseedinfo.org/

Very interesting, and sounds like you had a great day as well !!

Yes Sir, I accomplished what I went there for. My badge.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Very cool ! Nice shooting too
Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks .

Old 01-12-2019, 02:05 PM