COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 10-29-2020, 10:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
I’m pretty sure that it’s a much longer than eight hour drive from Columbus, Ga. to south Florida!

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 11-26-2020, 10:24 AM
COTEP Member

It was a fun time for the five of us that went to this shoot and as always, bttbbob is a great instructor! After verifying 500 yard D.O.P.E on the 24x24 inch target, ringing the smaller 6 inch steel plates at 500 yards was very satisfying! Hitting the larger steel target (24x40 inch, IIRC but not certain) at the 1,000 yard steel shoot he put on last year was the first time I'd been able to reach that distance, but this time it seemed more of a challenge repeatedly hitting 6 inch round plates at 500 yards, especially in the variable windy conditions we had during this 500 yard shoot. Thanks, Bob!

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2022 (now retired)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
-- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
-- H. Spencer
Old 11-26-2020, 11:15 AM
COTEP Member

^^^ Sounds like a good day !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Nice!! Would love to attend one of these some day.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
^^^ Sounds like a good day !!
It was a great day! Let me explain why by expanding on what I said in my last post.

After the first couple of rounds, Bob decided he'd increase the challenge quite a bit by hanging a mere 2 inch steel plate just to see if any of us would be able to hit it. One of our group (goes by "racer88," but is not a member here) did hit it after several attempts and then later in the afternoon, so did ; great shots for both of them! For a few years now, , racer, and I often go shooting together and we're all great friends!

Anyway, a hit on that 2 inch plate knocked the plate off it's hanger such that the plate had to be reset for the next round of shooting when first Bob, and for later rounds, and I went downrange to repaint/reset plates. On the last round of the day and not wanting to be left out, I decided to try for that 2 inch plate, too. I had the elevation right but missed just off the left side on my first attempt, then just off the right edge on my second attempt, but was pretty confident I had bracketed the firing solution. Then just as was lining up my third attempt, that sumbeach racer88 hit that 2 inch plate a second time, knocking it off it's mount, and eliminating any chance of me hitting it that day! As I said, we're all great friends and we all had a great laugh over that one! Not to be out done, the fourth man in our group (goes by the screen name of "Anduril" and also not a member here, but had become a good friend, too), shooting his RPR chambered in .338 Lapua, shot one of the 6 inch plates perfectly dead-center, knocking it loose from one of two mounting straps. When it came to rest, it was rotated CCW by 90 degrees with it's left edge to the firing line. So Bob said, "Now see if you can hit it again on edge (3/8" AR500 steel plate)." So Anduril lined up for another shot and damn if he didn't hit that plate edge on with a bullet just slightly smaller than the width of that plate! Bob could hardly believe it and that was certainly the best shot of the day and sort of took a little bit wind out of the sails of racer's second hit on the 2 inch plate!

So yes, it was really a great day shooting at long range with good friends under the tutelage of a great long range rifle shooting instructor and we all learned a great deal!

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2022 (now retired)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
-- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
-- H. Spencer
Old 11-27-2020, 10:16 AM
COTEP Member

^^^

Sounds like that R uger P recision R ifle was showing off.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:45 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
^^^

Sounds like that R uger P recision R ifle was showing off.

It sure was a great day out with the fellas. There were only two RPRs there but both performed excellently. That’s a great rifle and one hell of a bargain. With that said, BeerHunter’s Howa and my Beragera are no slouches! We had a great day with an excellent instructor. I welcomed the wind we had to make the experience more challenging. I shot 100rds that day and learned one way how to read the wind. BeerHunter forgot to mention that on one of the trips down to reset the targets, we put a daisy (or some flower) in a spend casing on top of the target stand to tease Racer. Unfortunately, it camouflaged into the background and was not visible through any of our scopes. Lol. The second time resetting I put up a medical glove inflated on the target stand and painted it white for visibility. That sumbich Racer hit it on hit first or second attempt!

It was a fun time and can’t wait to do it again some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2020, 10:58 AM
COTEP Member

Good friends, good times .... hard to beat that especially when there's guns involved.
COTEP #762