Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Range Reports

Old 04-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Some trigger time (at last)

Notes to self:

Slow aimed fire only requires occasional practice
Rapid target acquisition requires constant practice

I found that my slow aimed fire was actually better than I remember for a couple of pistols. But when I tried to run the plate racks with my once-favorite IDPA pistol, I was all over the place. Even when I slowed down. And then slowed down some more.
"Why am I not able to hit the plates consistently when I can shoot tiny groups???"

It was a mystery. I found that my trigger technique was different when I was running the plate racks. So I fired one shot at a time using the same technique that I used for precision shooting, and hit the plate racks in the center every time.

I never really realized that I had two completely different techniques for precision fire and rapid fire, but I guess it makes sense.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrHenley For This Useful Post:
Caleb (04-20-2021), FfNJGTFO (04-20-2021), Lonestar grips. (04-20-2021), sdmc530 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 08:05 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I have noticed the same thing between target shooting and point shooting/sighted defensive shooting. You can make tiny holes all day long during target runs but, when it comes to snapping on target under stress....that’s a different story and you need lots of trigger time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk